Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Brake-Failure 08 to 11 Harley

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:45 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,923 Likes on 19,371 Posts

Originally Posted by bettingpython
I keep waiting for someone to suggest we go back to cable/mechanical linkage actuated drum brakes, the original ABS! then we wouldn't have all these complicated hydraulic brake problems.
Yep ... I was waiting for something like that to be said. Maybe Fred Flintstone had the right idea?

Old 07-11-2016, 09:15 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Install some SpeedBleeders and it's no chore to drain and refill your brake system every two years.

I did a bleed/change about a month ago (third time since 2009) and there was no grit at all in either master cylinder. I always use silicone DOT 4 and the old stuff came out as clear as the new stuff going in.

Preventive maintenance is the key with any vehicle but if there's a manufacturing defect, it will not help.

Speed Bleeders rock, I put them on all my vehicle once I open up the brake system (the wife likes them to, as she no longer has to run the pedal).

I bought an 09 a couple weeks ago and although it came with the dealer maintenance card it did not come with the manual or detailed maintenance records (or the second fob) as he can't seem to find everything.
He was diagnosed with seizures and can no longer ride.

As for cars/trucks most (if not all) recommends changing your brake fluid every two years (or less) no matter if you have ABS or not.

Last edited by GRWHD; 07-11-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:14 AM
tinsnips
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what are speed bleeders and how difficult to install and then change the fluid?

Old 07-11-2016, 11:54 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

What good are speed bleeders when they only to up to a '10 on FLHX?

Old 07-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,923 Likes on 19,371 Posts

Must be a typo on their listing because ( according to the parts catalog ) the calipers are the same up through at least 2013

Old 07-11-2016, 12:27 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by GRWHD
Speed Bleeders rock, I put them on all my vehicle once I open up the brake system (the wife likes them to, as she no longer has to run the pedal).

I bought an 09 a couple weeks ago and although it came with the dealer maintenance card it did not come with the manual or detailed maintenance records (or the second fob) as he can't seem to find everything.
He was diagnosed with seizures and can no longer ride.

As for cars/trucks most (if not all) recommends changing your brake fluid every two years (or less) no matter if you have ABS or not.
Honda recommends every 30,00 miles. The vast majority of other mfgrs do not have a fluid replacement interval.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:53 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by sumncguy
I agree. But heres the thing. I think given time it will be revealed that it is not the fluid. Ill spare the details .. but the Goldwing problem was also initially blamed on not changing the fluid. I changed my religiously and still had problems.

One thing that the MOCO can do is follow the lead of the ricers ... add a window so that one can see the condition of the fluid.
I'll agree with the time will tell thing at the same time my 14 RK does have windows.

I'm one who did lose my rear brake, coming down a mountain no less in the Smokys, 2 up with luggage, no ABS on that bike, it was a vstar 1300 tourer. That's when I learned about changing the brake fluid. Yamaha buries it in the manual, not easily seen like HD. Moisture in the system boiled and created vapor lock. Once cooled down the brake came back, of course when I returned home changed the fluid and never an issue again, but now own an RK awesome bike so far. Gulp!

Last edited by alarmdoug; 07-11-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,006 Likes on 4,197 Posts

Low speed crash into a garage door?? Guess when you do that, it's best to blame it on something. Sort of like when I was backing out of the garage door and RIP was getting ready to back out next to me in a mildly blind spot CRV.. Turned her head and saw my open door. Went back a good 3 feet before realizing her door was not open. At least not before she started backing up, anyway..

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-11-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:00 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
Honda recommends every 30,00 miles. The vast majority of other mfgrs do not have a fluid replacement interval.
Yamaha, every two years along with brake lines followed by master cylinder rebuild.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:26 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Low speed crash into a garage door?? Guess when you do that, it's best to blame it on something. Sort of like when I was backing out of the garage door and RIP was getting ready to back out next to me in a mildly blind spot CRV.. Turned her head and saw my open door. Went back a good 3 feet before realizing her door was not open. At least not before she started backing up, anyway..
Funny thing is ABS doesnt work at low speeds, unless you can do 40+ in a driveway

Quick Reply: Possible Brake-Failure 08 to 11 Harley