Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Brake-Failure 08 to 11 Harley

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 09:41 PM
s76helipilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
For all the vehicles that I have owned none of them required me to replace the brake fluid. Why is HD ABS so sensitive to the brake fluid.

Oh and yes I have replaced my brake fluid in my Electra Glide. I'm not saying don't, I'm saying I have never heard of other brakes failing with old brake fluid. I hear the valves and other delicate parts in the ABS lock up.
Cause they use cheap ****, made in china components made from cheap **** made in china steel instead of stainless components that would not be so susceptible to corrosion.

Last edited by s76helipilot; 07-09-2016 at 09:45 PM. Reason: edited
Old 07-09-2016, 09:41 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 508 Likes on 152 Posts

Another thing I've heard is that "you should never change the brake fluid yourself. Have a dealer do it for you. It's too complicated." I think I've heard that on this site. That's ridiculous. After hearing that I carefully read the manual. It's just like bleeding the brakes on any other vehicle. Nothing special. I use a vacuum pump but it's not necessary. Just make sure you never run out of fluid in the reservoir. Keep it topped off as you bleed. And if you do suck air into the system it's not the end of the world. Just start over and keep bleeding until all the air passes through the system. It really is just like bleeding any other brake system.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:45 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 508 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by s76helipilot
Cause they use cheap ****, made in china components made from cheap **** made in china steel instead of stainless components that would not be so susceptible to corrosion.

Have you ever seen a car that had a maintenance requirement of flushing all the brake fluid every 2 years??
No. Not even cars with cheep parts. and I'm not so sure HD ABS parts are made in China. Do you know for sure?

Old 07-09-2016, 09:56 PM
ricktherocket
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sr230mike
Okay idiot question sorry. How do we know if we have abs?
Easy, take a look at the spacers on your front wheel axle and if one has a wire then you have"abs".

Old 07-09-2016, 09:58 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,920 Likes on 19,370 Posts

Originally Posted by s76helipilot View Post

Have you ever seen a car that had a maintenance requirement of flushing all the brake fluid every 2 years??

HYGROSCOPIC ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygroscopy

Old 07-09-2016, 10:12 PM
atengnr
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a band -aid for a design issue. 2yr change interval.....what a laugh.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:15 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,920 Likes on 19,370 Posts
Old 07-09-2016, 10:34 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 567 Likes on 394 Posts

I was told to change the fluid in my 2001 Impala every 2 years when he car was 4 years ol,i blew it off.. About a year later i got the abs light. The moisture in the brake flid corrode the manifold where all the brake lines exit. I learned the hard way. Has to be done,abs or not.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:00 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

The problem is the DOT 5 fluid Harley used to put in the bikes (my '03 uses DOT5), doesn't play well with ABS. So they had to switch to DOT 4 (my '12 Limited uses DOT4)....

DOT 5 (silicone based) is not hygroscopic, but DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 (glycol based) are hygroscopic......

So I guess I see why they want you to change the brake fluid, but it has to be because something in the ABS system is really super sensitive to corrosion...

I've owned about a dozen cars & trucks that have used DOT 4 brake fluid. I never changed the brake fluid, nor did I ever have a brake failure...

Old 07-10-2016, 06:22 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
The problem is the DOT 5 fluid Harley used to put in the bikes (my '03 uses DOT5), doesn't play well with ABS. So they had to switch to DOT 4 (my '12 Limited uses DOT4)....

DOT 5 (silicone based) is not hygroscopic, but DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 (glycol based) are hygroscopic......

So I guess I see why they want you to change the brake fluid, but it has to be because something in the ABS system is really super sensitive to corrosion...

I've owned about a dozen cars & trucks that have used DOT 4 brake fluid. I never changed the brake fluid, nor did I ever have a brake failure...
Compare the size of the braking components in a car with those on a bike,and also consider the volume of brake fluid in an automobile.I would guess the absorption rate in a car to the point of contamination of the fluid would take much longer,and have less affect on auto components,due to the size of the components and volume of fluid.Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Possible Brake-Failure 08 to 11 Harley