Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Brake-Failure 08 to 11 Harley

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 10:08 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Well, how handy are you? And I imply no slur with that.

You should be able to jumper the actuators and hold them open, letting you bleed fluid through the circuit. I say that not having done so on a Harley, and without a manual regarding the bike. So caveat-emptor!

A red-neck method I've used on some other vehicles has been to bleed the brakes clear in the conventional manner. Then go out driving and actuate the abs system several times. Then rebleed. Repeat if the second bleed looked especially funky or you simply feel like it.
I am handy enough to flush the brakes conventionally without issue (having rebuilt the brake system on my 69 and 71 Ford F100s as well as flushing the brakes on some previous non-ABS Harleys) but not adventurous enough to tackle what you suggest. I was planning to tackle the basic non-abs approach this weekend. Some of my efforts to be adventurous with my bikes and my projects have resulted in higher costs having my foul-up repaired by those with the skills to do it right the first time.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:29 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Some of my efforts to be adventurous with my bikes and my projects have resulted in higher costs having my foul-up repaired by those with the skills to do it right the first time.
Laughing, oh yea!

Old 07-13-2016, 10:32 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

Laughing, oh yea!
My previous independent mechanic (God rest his soul) claimed he had a key on his cash register labeled "Fix Larry's Foul Ups." This was used a lot when I was attempting to resurrect an 81 FLT.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:02 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
The circuit design will not allow 100% brake fluid removal unless abs module valves are exercised during bleeding process. Although, it would seem it is a small amount. I posted the actual manufacturers abs module diagram in other posts

The correct way, per dealer method, will also exercise the abs valves when bleeding. Some think that not engaging abs every two years or less, front and rear, greatly increases the chances of stuck abs valves. Hard braking to engage abs will certainly exercise the valves also.
I ride around enough cagers that I have had to exercise my ABS at least every couple of months.....
Do I now not have to lose sleep at night?

Old 07-13-2016, 01:36 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_Compact
I bought my RKC used this past March. I changed the brake fluid myself about a month ago and after I was done I took the bike for a short ride and hit the brakes hard enough to cause the ABS to kick in. I believe this will purge the old fluid from the ABS module?
Originally Posted by alarmdoug View Post
On page 3-3 of the Yamaha owners manual it states to ALSO "replace the internal components of the master cylinders and calipers" EVERY TWO YEARS.
Oops, I was incorrect saying you were incorrect, I used the word shop manual for the first sentence and owners for the second.

Anyway at least after all these posts people can see HD is not the only motorcycle company requiring brake fluid changes and if fact can see Yamaha who builds an inexpensive touring bike vstar 1300 not only requires brake fluid change but also brake calipers and master cylinder rebuilds every two years.

I would think most motorcycles of all brands require at least a fluid change, whether or not the owners know that is another story.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:12 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Refer to the schedule in Post#84 and see footnote #4 directly from the 2009 FLHTCU service/maintenance manual.
My point is HD is blaming not changing the fluid for the failure, but their Factory Authorized Service, that was performing ALL the service on my bike for the first 6+ years, appears to have never changed changed it. They also never advised me it needed to be changed.

I also checked the bill when they replaced the brakes and rotors: again, no mention of changing or flushing the system.

I guess it is only important to them when someone gets hurt.

Last edited by IKnowNot; 07-13-2016 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Guess I am going to need that info on the speed bleeders too.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:48 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Hate Work
I ride around enough cagers that I have had to exercise my ABS at least every couple of months.....
That depends. Did you also change fluid every two years? lol

Old 07-13-2016, 07:17 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Hate Work
Well I am riding around on a 2008 FLHX w/ABS that has 8 year old brake fluid but it gets the ABS activated on every ride. No issues. I was gonna flush and fill this summer but I will wait and see about the ABS module recall and hopefully get it done for free, LOL.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:45 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

Dealership got my bike Wednesday afternoon. I got it back Thursday afternoon. I spent $160 for the flush and they washed my bike as well. I made a bee-line for the service center and avoided the showroom floor, lest I be tempted, again. On the 35 mile, mostly highway ride home, I performed a few emergency type stops to make sure all worked well.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:52 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,919 Likes on 19,369 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Dealership got my bike Wednesday afternoon. I got it back Thursday afternoon. I spent $160 for the flush and they washed my bike as well. I made a bee-line for the service center and avoided the showroom floor, lest I be tempted, again. On the 35 mile, mostly highway ride home, I performed a few emergency type stops to make sure all worked well.
I made a bee-line for the service center and avoided the showroom floor, lest I be tempted, again ... Probably THEE best advice in this whole thread. :>)

Quick Reply: Possible Brake-Failure 08 to 11 Harley