Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2015 Road Glide Special, corrupt GPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016 | 05:05 PM
BugBYter
Tourer

1 other thing to check. Make sure "round trip" isn't selected in the nav options. This will also make the mileage 100's off and want you to take every damn turn.

Old 07-08-2016 | 07:19 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

Why does it not surprise that a bona fide HD dealership service dept. doesn't no how to do a diagnostic or complete reboot but a forum member does.

Old 07-08-2016 | 07:31 PM
hikervt
Banned

Originally Posted by Mixter
Need some help...recently rode from Vancouver to Milwaukee. We had two other bikes with the harley GPS (2015 road glide special and an 2014 Ultra Limited).
Both of their GPS seemed to work fine.
Mine was off by hundreds of miles even on easy straight shot Interstate routes.
It would also try to get me to take every single exit that we passed...even if they were in the wrong direction.
We stopped at a dealer who checked that all 3 bikes had the most updated system software...which we reinstalled just to be safe.
But my GPS still won't work properly. I tried resetting the options to default and then reselected fastest route. Still won't work.

The dealer says that they don't have the software and that its an issue between the user and garmin.
I tried to download the restore file from the following website:
https://harley-davidson.naviextras.com
I tried to follow the instructions but the image won't authenticate on the bike.

I'm at a loss as to what to do and really pissed off that I can't get the GPS to work on a $30k bike.
Any suggestions????
+1 the Harley GPS has absolutely nothing to do with Garmin. I would have the dealer, or a different dealer do a reset and reload the latest software. Sounds like the unit doesn't actually know where it is and keeps trying to redirect you. I had some problems with my Boom system, and come to find out it was all in the programming. Had to get it just right.

Old 08-04-2016 | 04:03 PM
Mixter
|
Road Warrior

would i need to reinstall the map software after the reset?

Originally Posted by 14cvoultra
Have you done a hard factory reset.

To enter the service menu:

1) Turn ignition off and wait 15 seconds
2) Press and hold power/mute button. Turn ignition to accessory.
3) Continue to press power button for 2 seconds after warning screen is displayed.
4) Release power/mute button and accept warning

The service menu will display the following options:

1) DTCS
2) Audio a) EG (serves no purpose) b) Speaker test(s)
3) Display (test the LCD display briteness and color consistency)
4) Key input (test the faceplate hard keys, handlebar switches, and passenger controls)
4) Component menus (XM and Satellite Digital Audio Radio Service)
a) Module version-displays the XM versions
b) Subscription info
c) Signal status
d) XM antenna state (unsupported, detected, not detected, short, and unknown)
e) Tone generation (allows for generating left or right audio tone generated by the xm
module)
f) Navigation setting (no diagnostic value)
g) GPS status (displays a graphical representation of GPS satellite position&signal strength)
H) Tuner-displays the current frequency, signal strength, RDS/RBDS info for each tuner.
If the signal is unavailabe or out of range, the display may show dashes instead of a
value.
I) Compass indicates current direction
5) Version information (sub menus show navigation and database versions but offer no diagnostic
help.
6) Reset
a) Precalibration reset-restores factory settings-recommended when there are no problems or
DTCS..
b) Post calibration save-Archives customer settings after post calibration reset
c) Post calibration reset-Resets radio default settings and restores customer data stored in
post calibration save
d) Privacy reset-clears private data (phone pairing, phone #'s, presets, navi history)
7) Touchscreen Calibration 6.5 only
Calibrate the touchscreen by pressing the center of the displayed target. The target moves
to a new location on the screen after each press for a total of 3 presses. Press accept
for the calibration to update.

Old 08-04-2016 | 04:37 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

would i need to reinstall the map software after the reset?
No. Doesn't affect maps.

Old 08-05-2016 | 11:30 AM
14cvoultra
Tourer

No it will not affect the maps. Can you look and tell us what firmware you have and what map version.

Old 08-05-2016 | 12:58 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Mixter -

I very strongly recommend you READ THE MANUAL. Because it seems you clearly have not. I believe your issue is that a route was running in your GPS, you missed (did not go through) a waypoint & the entire trip the unit was extremely busy trying to get you to reroute back to that missed waypoint. You should have cancelled routing. That would have resolved the issue.

Beyond that, I would suggest the GPS antenna itself may not be connected or is receiving a weak signal? There are menu options that will allow you to confirm this so, again, READ THE MANUAL.

Old 08-07-2016 | 11:17 AM
Mixter
|
Road Warrior

I have read the manual and know how the GPS works.....it's not an active trip or anything like

Old 08-07-2016 | 11:44 AM
MoRider
Tourer

My2014 Street Glide special id the same thing. I had an active route running was about to take the bike into the dealership but I finally found the stop line. good luck

Old 08-07-2016 | 08:18 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

I have read the manual and know how the GPS works.....it's not an active trip or anything like

OK fine. You know how it works. You know it wasn't a user error because you know how the GPS works and you read the manual.

You should know that it's not a software issue since you are running the same version as your buddies.

Guess you should probably find a new dealer to fix it for you? One that knows the unit is NOT a Garmin! And knows how to verify satellite signals are strong enough to give a correct set of location coordinates.

BTW -

If the unit picks up at least 3 satellites, it will find its' location correctly. If it does that, then the issue is OPERATOR ERROR. But since we've been able to rule that out already, guess the dealer will need to replace the radio?

Good Luck. You're gonna need it.

The following users liked this post:
Cossack84 (08-10-2016)

Quick Reply: New 2015 Road Glide Special, corrupt GPS