Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway Pegs Flopping around

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Knuckelhead
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Highway Pegs Flopping around

Guys,
Anyone take the time to install a ball plunger in their highway pegs? I recently purchased some Kuryakyn Switchblades and their Brute mounts:

Issue is, I'd like for them to stay folded up. The male section of the Switchblade has a profile which looks like it was made to for a ball plunger...But I'd need to install and drill through some fairly stout metal in the mount, then run a tap through. Anyone do this; or am I overthinking it?

Thanks!
Steve

Old 07-02-2016, 12:14 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,801 Likes on 689 Posts

I don't know about the Kuryakyn ones, but the HD pegs have a small, horseshoe shaped, almost flat metal spring that goes in the mount that keeps them from flopping around. Same thing should work for Kuryakyns, no drilling required.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Knuckelhead
Cruiser

Thanks. Pegs came with a curved washer to take up the gap, but the pegs wont stay folded. Maybe Ill try a different wavy washer.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:16 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Should have a spring washer that stops it from moving around

Old 07-03-2016, 12:02 AM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Knucklehead..........I have the same ones switchblades but i opted for the longhorn curved mounts.....They came with the curved washer, they are pretty hard to bring up or down when that spring is in there......

The following users liked this post:
Knuckelhead (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 09:38 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Knuckelhead
Thanks. Pegs came with a curved washer to take up the gap, but the pegs wont stay folded. Maybe Ill try a different wavy washer.
They are most likely flattened out and are now useless, try replacing them. I think HD gets $7 for 2 of them. Did you have them installed in the right position? The flat square goes in against the bracket mount, and the rounded bow is what the peg goes against. Not sure if this is explained right. But if the other way the clip will just lay over the smaller ped end and there will be no tension against the peg.

Last edited by bagman1; 07-03-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:03 PM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have seen some pegs require a wave washer on each side of the peg if it's real loose.

Head

Old 07-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

I had the kurykns that flip down. They eventually just broke and fell off, the whole thing.

Know I just have the mount for them. Enough to put my toes on and protect lowers.

Personally I feel highway pegs are bad for back. I used to get sore hips.

I don't use my backrest anymore either. Didn't seem to get me in right position, and created pain. Rode to Alaska without it.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:23 PM
Knuckelhead
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bagman1
They are most likely flattened out and are now useless, try replacing them. I think HD gets $7 for 2 of them. Did you have them installed in the right position? The flat square goes in against the bracket mount, and the rounded bow is what the peg goes against. Not sure if this is explained right. But if the other way the clip will just lay over the smaller ped end and there will be no tension against the peg.
Thanks. Ya the pegs came with a curved 'D' shaped washer, but it doesn't do anything. The minute the bike starts the pegs fall.
I think my local ACE hardware is open until noon tomorrow, so I'll find some of these that should do the trick:

Old 07-03-2016, 11:47 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Knuckelhead
Thanks. Ya the pegs came with a curved 'D' shaped washer, but it doesn't do anything. The minute the bike starts the pegs fall.
I think my local ACE hardware is open until noon tomorrow, so I'll find some of these that should do the trick:

I would think using one of the on one side and the "D" washer on the other side should do the trick.....But...
Did you try putting a D on either side of the pegs and see if they hold up?

Quick Reply: Highway Pegs Flopping around