Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine case seepage

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 10:14 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts
Default engine case seepage

anyone having the engine cases weep where the case halfs come together right behind the rear cyl. on your 103 engine ? i'm getting alittle spot that looks to be seepage right there. i know about the assembly lube coming out around the base of the cyls. for alittle while when new, but i've never seen the case do this. first HD engine i've ever had do this except my panhead.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:20 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
anyone having the engine cases weep where the case halfs come together right behind the rear cyl. on your 103 engine ? i'm getting alittle spot that looks to be seepage right there. i know about the assembly lube coming out around the base of the cyls. for alittle while when new, but i've never seen the case do this. first HD engine i've ever had do this except my panhead.
==================================

Try this before going any deeper into this situation.

Since from you say it seem's to be a very minor oil seepage coming from where the 2 engine case 1/2's meet try this that has worked well for me a few times over the yrs in the same type situation.

1st use some brakleen to clean all the oil & dirt from the area of seepage.

Then with your finger apply (smooth out) some permatex RTV (use blk rtv for blk engine case) not only directly on the area of where the oil seepage is coming from but also an inch or so past both sides of the area of seepage too.

Let the rtv full dry/cure before firing up the bike and see how it does after that.

If you decide to try this let us know how it works out.

Good luck.

Scott

Old 07-02-2016, 05:50 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Is it possible that it's weepage from the base of the jug, and only looks like it's it's coming from the case halves? You are correct about assembly lube. I had a similar "weepage" on my 2016 RGS, and it finally stopped and hasn't returned in nearly 4500 miles. If it's under warranty I wouldn't do anything, but take it to the dealer and have it checked. Simply masking it won't really solve the problem if one exists.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:19 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteF
Is it possible that it's weepage from the base of the jug, and only looks like it's it's coming from the case halves? You are correct about assembly lube. I had a similar "weepage" on my 2016 RGS, and it finally stopped and hasn't returned in nearly 4500 miles. If it's under warranty I wouldn't do anything, but take it to the dealer and have it checked. Simply masking it won't really solve the problem if one exists.
it's not from the base of the jugs. it's right in the middle between the base of the jug and where the transmission case meets the engine case. that little spot between them. it's only alittle weepage right now. i cleaned it off real good and i'm going to keep an eye on it for now. i've washed the engine several times with soapy water since i've owned it and never noticed this before. that's not saying it hasn't been there since new, iv'e just never seen it. it's under warrenty, but it sure would suck if it had to come apart.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:46 PM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

it's not from the base of the jugs. it's right in the middle between the base of the jug and where the transmission case meets the engine case. that little spot between them. it's only alittle weepage right now. i cleaned it off real good and i'm going to keep an eye on it for now. i've washed the engine several times with soapy water since i've owned it and never noticed this before. that's not saying it hasn't been there since new, iv'e just never seen it. it's under warrenty, but it sure would suck if it had to come apart.
Yes, it would suck big if that had to be fixed. There's no easy way to do the job correctly. If it's a situation where it has to be torn into I'd wait until October or November.