Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Change Trouble shooting

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 04:19 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam Change Trouble shooting

Recently did a cam change (SE 255) on my 2008 Road King Classic. Other than a stubborn head bolt and adjusting the FM pushrods everything was a breeze. After 3 heat cycles, I ran it for about 10 miles, got through 5 of the 6 gears and up to about 50 mph for a short duration. Everything ran very smooth and had good power especially in the low to mid where I want it. I had an appointment with a local shop for a tune and about an hour after dropping it off I got a call from them saying my bike was puking oil out of the air filter. Now I did add oil to the bike a couple weeks prior but only rode it for about a total of 20 mile at moderate speeds (in addition to the 10 miles after the cam change.

Could excess oil be part of the problem. I don't think it is because I didn't add oil after the cam change, and didn't have any issues with oil overflow before the cam change. I am thinking maybe I might have not aligned the oil pump correctly, or somehow the oil pump o-ring didn't seat correctly. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:36 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,166 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Very likely a result of high oil level, we generally set the oil level on the low side of the dipstick to prevent this.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 06-30-2016, 04:46 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick response. Would adding the cams increase pressure that could potentially cause this. Also the short rides I took were in very mild weather mid to upper 60's for very short duration. One before the cam change and one after, probably didn't get the bike temps up very much. I assume the engine would be warmed up and running through a Dyno tune would create more heat on the engine as well. The shop is very reputable and the first question they asked was whether I added oil after the cam change. I said no but forgot to mention that I added just over a half quart a couple weeks prior. The dipstick was just north of mid before I added the oil which brought me to full.

Last edited by clarkchriston; 06-30-2016 at 04:49 PM.