Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch cable advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:10 AM
keith t
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default clutch cable advice

I thought I was going to do a clutch adjustment and accidentally let the cable adjuster section come apart. So I am wondering what is best to do next.
I can move the clutch lever with the adjustment screw at the clutch basket but can't seem to get the cable adjuster to take up the cable slack. Is there any general rule for where the clutch adjustment screw should be, like full turns inward before bottoming out.
I started out by backing out the clutch adjustment screw jam nut and then the screw itself. Then I don't really know what I did to over loosen the cable adjuster.
The cable is new and 72 inches long due to new taller handlebars.
Thanks for any help

Old 06-29-2016, 10:15 AM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Old 06-29-2016, 10:19 AM
keith t
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well I went back out there and got the cable adjuster to take up the slack, the problem was actually that the two slip fit ends weren't staying in place against the two jacketed cable sections and I guess I just hadn't gone quite far enough to get them to start pulling slack.
Would I be ok to just take out the slack and also run in the clutch adjustment screw to bottom out from where it all sits now, and start over or is there something else I need to know
Thanks again

Old 06-29-2016, 10:43 AM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Start over...put as much slack in the cable as you can using the cable adjuster in the middle of the cable, loosen the clutch pack lock nut, screw it the adjuster until it just seats (no pressure exerting on the clutch pack) back out half a turn, and lock the lock nut. Then take out the cable slack until you have about a dimes worth at the lever. You should be good to go.