Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having to resist the urge

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 12:44 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Having to resist the urge

My plan is to ride my 2010 Ultra Limited, which I bought with 4K miles about two years ago, until at least paid off.
I am at 20K right now.
In any event, we were meandering around the dealership after I picked up a couple of items (valve stem extender - dealer did not put 90 degree valves on the rear tire when I had it changed last week). I pointed out a blue 2016 Road Glide Ultra noted that supposedly the passenger's accommodations are much better these days.
With the help of the always helpful sales people, I got her on the back. She was immediately impressed. Then she looked over my shoulder and saw the new instrument cluster - "ooohhhh, ahhhhh. I like this."
I had the original Road Glide (1981/82) and enjoyed the fixed fairing. Don't know that it was that resistant to wind, but it was pleasant to sit behind (I had it about 5 years ago). But did like the air vents and the bags/tour pack and the ability to open with one hand.
Just gotta resist that urge to consider trading in.
Heck, I have not even go my EFI tuner installed.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:54 PM
zz2h33
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Do it! You have the wife's blessing...what's stopping you?

Old 06-27-2016, 01:13 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

My wife was the one that initiated the whole trade in a perfectly good 2013 street glide that isn't paid for yet and go further into debt for a new 2016 road glide ultra. Normally I am the person who makes poor financial decisions, shocked the hell out of me.

And yes the Rushmore RGU is that much better than a pre rushmore batwing.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:15 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Well.... You won't know for sure until you take her out for a demo ride.... :-)

Old 06-27-2016, 01:15 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I just read the other day a post where an owner's wife was pleased with the "bubble" she was in on the new road glide ultras. So if your gal wants to ride in that same "bubble", then you know what you need to do. But don't give your 2010 away to the dealership, sell it on Craigs list or some other way. Trade-in allowances are always to the dealers advantage, always, always. Which means more dollars out of your pocket. The ultras will be there when you are ready, so don't get in an emotional hurry. Enjoy the 2010 for a bit and while doing so, strategize on what you want to do for the future.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:25 PM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I have never had my wifes' blessing for another bike. Must be nice.

Buy the new one, you know you want it. I have 3 in the stable and would not mind another.....

Old 06-27-2016, 01:55 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

Definitely can't have multiple "nice" bikes in my driveway. Someday I would like to have a shovel or evo super glide, but that day is aways away.
I would have to factor in the costs of lowering the bike - I am told the shock re-positioning bracket won't work on these. I have the lowered front shocks and my seat was redone by MeanCity about 2 years ago.
However, I was able (barely) to flat foot with my tennis shoes on the bike.
Arggg. Sent my sales rep an email to verify that I would not be able to get near my existing payments (that was the criteria for trading). Interesting she was not nearly as interested in the electra glides, which I believe have the same passenger geometry.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,402 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Good reason to not go to the dealership, resistance is difficult. Don't go to the grocery store when you are hungry kind of thing.

I have a buddy trying to seduce me with a 1970 Shovel, all mechanically redone, nice patina in appearance. I am trying to be good, Wife tells me to just buy it and stop going back and forth about it!??!?! Same thing, when did you become the fiscally irresponsible person in this relationship. Going to see the bike this weekend, maybe I will get lucky (??) and it will be sold before I get there.

I feel you pain brother, I may have a Shovel in my stable before the weekend is over. And my touring bike is still chugging at 11 going on 12 years old.

PS then he tells me instead of repainting the original tins, he found a '65 Pan set of tins that were in nice shape and put them on, guy is killing me!!!

Old 06-27-2016, 02:21 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

Seems like there was a sci-fi movie stating "resistance is futile."
As a couple, my wife and I have never been wise when it came to vehicles.
In our 27 years of marriage we have had 20 cars/trucks (have 4 now - two old pickups, a Ranger and an Explorer) and about 8 motorcycles.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:25 PM
BigMike17
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

If you can afford it...do it -

If you're like me, you'll pass it up and then be kicking yourself for a while. Don't let that happen -

Quick Reply: Having to resist the urge