Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Somethin else to check periodically...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 08:23 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Somethin else to check periodically...

I went to open my right saddlebag last night and the damn lid pulled off in my hands! [:@]

It only took a minute to see what had happened and with the proper hardware, it's easy enough... but out on the road somewhere, it would have been a real bummer!

There are five (5) 6/32" x .25" bolts (or screws) that fasten the upper side of the hinge to the saddlebag lid. all five had loosened up and fell out ~ MIA.....

Being sunday, (now) I figured I'd have to find something @ the hardware store. I took one out of the left bag and went out to find some. I ended up having to get them in 1/2" length and cut them off, but it worked fine. Now I have that fixed and the new ones are lock-tighted in place.

So..... next time ya service your bike, check these too. I have never checked mine, or even thought about it... but I will now.

On an unrealted note... I have the KlockWerks pipes on and the DTT fairly well tuned in now. It sure sounds different than what I am accustomed to and the low-end simply is NOT there, like it was with the FatCat. But it does make for a unique look. I suppose I might be able to get used to them, if they were all BLACK....

CHROME PIPES.... AND there are TWO of them!!!!!!!!!!!!! what next? I can feel my BP rise, just looking at it! Gotta get a black 2into1 back on there, before I have a panic attack or something crazy!
[8D]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8665/FDAB399CE5684CA8B6783522E6C7F2CC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8665/8EE8241E65994EC38F446B6B25DF2BE3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Kern
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Somethin else to check periodically...

Now that you have your new pipes on, and you sound sohappy with them, I would be more than willing to take your Fatcat off your hands. I promise to giveit a good home and not neglect at all.

I'll PM you my address so you can ship it out tomorrow. [8D][8D]

Old 05-20-2007, 10:44 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL...........true duals, now that is funny!!

I bet the FatCat will be on there before long...........need the bottom end power.

Steve

Old 05-20-2007, 11:18 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: maineultraclassic

LOL...........true duals, now that is funny!!
NO!

That is NOT funny!

Look closely at the camplate (R&R).... my FatCat just won't fit. I'm really torn .... camplate..... FatCat..... ?????......

Steve ~ do you have any close up pics of your pipe? I need to see closely where the front tube goes down by the floorbd... I'm pretty sure the rear is OK on the Trapp. I have intimate knowledege of the back side fit & clearence, because that's where mine had a problem.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Phil......

Just a thought, but surely there is a tube bender around North Dallas? Oilfield, HVAC, Aircraft-related industry might be able to fix the FatCat. Worth a look.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:29 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

You can try this link - http://www.angelfire.com/me5/flhtcui/page3.html

or maybe this picture will work -

I didn't even notice that R&R camplate.......which pipe doesn't fit?

That's too bad that such a great item restricts you in what exhaust you can use.

Steve

Old 05-20-2007, 11:39 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

That's exactly what I'm looking for.... THANKS!

The rear tube of the FatCat solidly impacts the trailing edge of the R&R plate. It's enough that the pipe mount @ the tranny is about 1.5 ~ 2" off. It just won't work.

As far as bending it.... that would defeat the purpose of a precision tuned system. [&:]

I need to take this pic out to my bike and compare clearence... It sure looks OK at first glance. I know the rear pipe is fine on the Trapp... I just need to verify the front.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:50 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

Well the 07 Supertrapps are out with dual o2 ports, and they are available in black too.

Glad my picture can help you out.

I wonder how many other exhausts are going to have problems with the R&R cam plate. My buddy's bike is at R&R right now having the cam plate installed, and the rest of his motor put back together after some oil pump and lifter problems. He's also putting in a Zippers Thundermax kit at the same time. He has Rinehart TD's on his bike, I wonder how that front pipe will work......if I remember correctly it is quite a ways away from the cam cone so it should be all set.

Steve

Old 05-21-2007, 01:38 AM
PSO169
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had just got to Fredricksburg after leaving Austin (ROT) in 2003. We went to check into the hotel when one of my buddy's lid came off in his hand. Try the Hill country on a Sunday and trying to find parts. We made something work from the walmart. We made our trip to Lukenbach and the lid was fine. But who would think of that lid to be an issue.

Jeff

Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: PhilM

That's exactly what I'm looking for.... THANKS!
So is the Supertrapp on order??

Steve

Quick Reply: Somethin else to check periodically...