Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front-end rattle on SG...forks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 08:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Front-end rattle on SG...forks?

I've been chasing a minor front-end rattle for months and finally have it isolated, more or less. I removed the fairing twice within a month and nothing is broken (like brackets) or loose, and there are no loose objects that could contact the fairing. The rattle occurs only when the suspension is active, mostly on small bumps, and can be induced by lightly pumping the shocks while still.

With the help of a neighbor we isolated the noise, to the best of our ability, around the right fork beer can (cow bell). It is loudest and tinniest when your ear is close to it, although you can hear it resonate almost everywhere around the front end of the bike. The beer can is tight, as is fork itself, the axle, pinch clamp on the bottom of the fork, and all brake hardware. It is not the brake pads. Now, what could be causing this noise, which is a click or rattle that can be heard while the bike is moving as the suspension is active? It will not rattle when idling. I haven't checked the 6mm Allen bolt that's at the bottom of the shock and under the pinch clamp. Could this be the culprit? If so, why would the noise sound like it originates around the beer can? Maybe the seal is loose and banging against the clip at the top of the lower leg. Just speculating.

Any ideas would be appreciated, as I don't want to take it to the stealer for warranty service. It's like taking your child to the hospital and not trusting the doctors.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Madbagr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front-end rattle on SG...forks?

I've got the same thing going on, just started that this season. 2005 RK w/20000mi. on the clock. Going nuts trying to locate/fix the new rattle that is begging to be tightened/secured. Would not be an issue if it was going on since day 1 (or 2). Yah-yah guys i know "just ride it", and I am, just hope I find the cause and correct it before the malfunction.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:06 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Madbagr, does yours have the same symptoms? Sounds like it's coming from the fork, or is it just a noise you can't locate?

Old 05-21-2007, 10:34 PM
Madbagr
Intermediate

Same thing man, couldn't have described it better myself. Any ripple or crack on the street that makes the fronts work will re-produce it faithfully. Glad my town is small, all my riding is 4th gear+ and get toomuch wind to hear it. Does sound like it is coming from the fork, andlike you went straight for the cowbell, to no avail. Sure hope someone picks up on this and gives us some direction....

Old 05-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Madbagr
Intermediate

Try the kickstand. Just discovered the rubber bumper on the side-stand parted ways and left me with that same rattle that almost drove me bananas. Hope it is a simple of a fix for you too.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Secretec
Intermediate

Got a bud with a RK with the same thing. Tore the front clear apart a couple times. Finally figured it out. Rubber bumper gone from the kick stand. Sure did drive him nuts too. Hope this helps.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Madbagr
Intermediate

I think I need a drink after that..........[sm=happy046.gif]

Old 06-01-2007, 05:58 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Update: Kickstand button is intact. Took to dealer last Saturday and they gave a cursory and unsatisfactory glance, stating it wasn't bad enough to go further. Wrong answer, fellas. Called HD, received some sympathy, and was told the Fatboy-fork problems were not relevant to the FLH models. He called the dealer's service manager, then the SM called me--all within 15 minutes. Took it to the dealer again today, SM rode it and agreed it needed attention, but didn't have any clues on the source. I told him I checked under the fairing twice and he accepted that. Have an appointment for next week with the shop's guru, a 26-year veteran. I know and trust this guy. Will report back when I get more news. Thanks for all the input.

Madbagr, I need a drink, too. Cheers.

Bob

Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 PM
JnT4Life
Tourer

So what was the problem?