Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another GPS question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:33 PM
smithmx47
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another GPS question

Hello all,
Looking at getting a Harley GPS. Have the "non" Harley Zumo 660 now and have had nothing but problems with loading routes from rider planner even when I get one loaded it sometimes dosen't stick to it, have also used base camp which I find is terrible.Has anyone tried the new Harley 590 or should I just buy the Harley 660. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 06-23-2016, 06:54 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I do just great with google maps on my iphone...used it all over the world.

I don't see any advantage to a stand alone unit which may not have updated or as comprehensive mapping.

I figure out my routes in my browser and use google to email me a link...open that up on my iphone.

Mike

Old 06-23-2016, 08:25 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by smithmx47
Hello all,
Looking at getting a Harley GPS. Have the "non" Harley Zumo 660 now and have had nothing but problems with loading routes from rider planner even when
I get one loaded it sometimes dosen't stick to it
Keep in mind that all GPS units will operate the same way.
When you build a route on a computer, you are using that software's mapping algorithms.

Now when you import that route into a GPS unit (any of them), the only thing that gets imported are the starting point, ending point, and any way points in between.

The GPS unit then uses its built in mapping algorithm to calculate the route between those points.

If you want to force the GPS to follow your exact route, you have to make sure you have enough data points so that no matter what map you use, it takes the same route between points.

If there are multiple ways to get from point A to point B, then you might need more data points.
If there is only one way to drive between those points, then you won't need as many way points.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:45 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

I uses the TomTom Rider. I've never used the ride planner software that comes with it but I'm very happy with how it works. It even has a winding road option when it calculates routes. It's bulky but I like the way TomTom's work and the display's better than the Garmin in my company truck.

Typical, I just looked and they have a newer model than mine and it's not as bulky.

You have other options than Garmin.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:29 AM
scooper321
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

I don't see any advantage to a stand alone unit which may not have updated or as comprehensive mapping.

I figure out my routes in my browser and use google to email me a link...open that up on my iphone.

Mike
Problem with Google maps is that there's a small, finite number of waypoints you can use. When you want to plan a scenic, back road ride, you use them all up quickly. Which stinks. I'm not sure why they limit you (to 10 or so?) but it makes the ride planning of minimal use.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:58 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,170 Posts

The 590 will have some advantages over the 660, like a bigger screen and has a faster CPU. But I agree with RollaMo on the waypoints. Nice feature on the Garmin is you can simulate your route or do a dry run directly on the GPS. Just turn the GPS Simulator on in the settings. You can add additional waypoints during this also. You can modify the Avoidances also for more accuracy.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I also have a TomTom Rider, the first wide screen version. It is storm proof and I can confirm that, which is one reason it is a bit bulky. I also use Tyre routing software, although when swapping between the two one has to wary of the algorithms as RollaMo mentioned.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:44 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

I don't see any advantage to a stand alone unit which may not have updated or as comprehensive mappinxg.

Mike
I can't count the number of times I don't have any cell service when out riding which means the GPS doesn't work on the phone. A stand alone unit is still a more reliable electronic navigation tool. Until the cell phone companies fix that issue (which they won't) google maps on my phone can never be a replacement for my stand alone GPS. Of course I always have a paper map too.

Last edited by vistavette; 06-25-2016 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-25-2016, 11:01 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
I can't count the number of times I don't have any cell service when out riding which means the GPS doesn't work on the phone. A stand alone unit is still a more reliable electronic navigation tool. Until the cell phone companies fix that issue (which they won't) google maps on my phone can never be a replacement for my stand along GPS. Of course I always have a paper map too.

Have you checked out the app Maps.me NO CELL service required.. I just did a post here on HD about this app... Nice 'Plan B'

http://maps.me/en/home

Old 06-25-2016, 12:15 PM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
I can't count the number of times I don't have any cell service when out riding which means the GPS doesn't work on the phone. A stand alone unit is still a more reliable electronic navigation tool. Until the cell phone companies fix that issue (which they won't) google maps on my phone can never be a replacement for my stand along GPS. Of course I always have a paper map too.
Plus google nav is a battery killer. Must be constantly plugged in.

My experience anyway.

Quick Reply: Another GPS question