Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another GPS question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 01:55 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711
Have you checked out the app Maps.me NO CELL service required.. I just did a post here on HD about this app... Nice 'Plan B'

http://maps.me/en/home
Just saw your thread- interesting!

Old 06-25-2016, 01:58 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by ev780
Plus google nav is a battery killer. Must be constantly plugged in.

My experience anyway.
Actually that wouldn't bother me at all as I'd have the unit mounted on a RAM mount like my Garmin so it will be plugged in.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:29 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711
Have you checked out the app Maps.me NO CELL service required.. I just did a post here on HD about this app... Nice 'Plan B'

http://maps.me/en/home
CoPilot GPS app is also a "no-data" cell phone GPS solution. Working pretty well for me. Has a fair bit of customization to avoid or prefer certain road types. Haven't tried importing pre-built routes though, do don't know if it's capable of doing that.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:03 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 421 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by smithmx47
Hello all,
Looking at getting a Harley GPS. Have the "non" Harley Zumo 660 now and have had nothing but problems with loading routes from rider planner even when I get one loaded it sometimes dosen't stick to it, have also used base camp which I find is terrible.Has anyone tried the new Harley 590 or should I just buy the Harley 660. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
The Harley Roadtek 660 is the Zumo 660 with the H-D name on the faceplate. (and an extra $300) The only advantage to the H-D 660 is a firmware difference that allows a better interface with the radio - GPS prompts will over ride music through the system.

As for not sticking to the route - it looks at the begin/end point and plots the fastest route if you have no intermediate waypoints. When I had my 660 I found Basecamp to be a PITA. I used it more to give me time & distance to my destination or find an unfamiliar location. I'm not big on planning routes.

The following users liked this post:
mgmonster (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 07:35 AM
jlandis874
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
Keep in mind that all GPS units will operate the same way.
When you build a route on a computer, you are using that software's mapping algorithms.

Now when you import that route into a GPS unit (any of them), the only thing that gets imported are the starting point, ending point, and any way points in between.

The GPS unit then uses its built in mapping algorithm to calculate the route between those points.

If you want to force the GPS to follow your exact route, you have to make sure you have enough data points so that no matter what map you use, it takes the same route between points.

If there are multiple ways to get from point A to point B, then you might need more data points.
If there is only one way to drive between those points, then you won't need as many way points.
This isn't necessarily true. I use a program called "Tyre" (free to download and use) to map out routes. One click of a button and the route is imported into my Zumo 660 and it follows the exact route I made unless I change it after I import it. It makes no difference how many waypoints I have on the route.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:23 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

I have the Zumo 390LM with the TPMS so I can also keep check on tire psi on the go.
I also use my phone and the Waze App, works fine with no cell coverage.
BTW - If you are out on your bike, phone on, it needs to be charging, guys.
I bought the Deltran to USB 2amp with a usb cable so my passenger can also charge their phone right off the battery tender pigtail cruising down the road.
A dead phone is no good for anybody.
Remember, most smart phones require the 2 amp charging, especially if anything is running on the phone, just saying...