Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need suggestions for apes(road king)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:57 AM
foster.jeffrey.w@gmail.com
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need suggestions for apes(road king)

Hey everyone. So I just bought my first HD. I want to mod first for comfort and wheels.(I'll do stage one over winter) I am 5'11" 220 and have back issues and I hear apes are the way to go. Def look bad ace in my opinion as well. I am leaning towards carlini gangster apes but am open to suggestions. So my question is what apes do yall think are appealing to the eye and reliable and what all am I going to need to install them myself the right way? I'm thinking 14 or 16s 1.5". Is there a install kit I can get that will work with the carlini apes or do I need to buy everything seperate?(I'm looking for SS braided wire) Will everything on my stock bars transfer over to the new ones fine? Any grips and levers anyone recommend? Im thinking gnurl chrome grips. Should I get different risers than stock or will stock be suffice? I know this is alot of questions but the more I read forums the more confused I seem to get. Atleast the forums I have read. Thanks!

Last edited by foster.jeffrey.w@gmail.com; 06-23-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-23-2016, 11:29 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 64 Posts

If you move up to apes, def change out the risors to the stouter ones. As far as manufacturer, I went with KST's. Look great and you wont have any issues with customer service should you need to use it.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:09 PM
1st Gear

Awesome. I'll check em out man. Thanks for the advice sharpshooter.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Stanimal45
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lots of good choices out there for apes and they are very subjective. I'm about 6'1" - 6'2" and went with 16" Wild Ones Chubby bars on my Road King. Love the feel and much more comfortable. I probably could have gone to 18" without an issue but I like the feel on the 16's.

Carlini makes some good looking bars also and so do several others - go with what you like but also watch the pullback measurement. I originally liked some LA Choppers bars but they didn't have as much pullback as I wanted for comfort so I returned them and bought the Wild Ones.

Enjoy!

Old 06-23-2016, 03:14 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 14 RK. Just bought and installed hill country custom cycle 14 inch apes. I also have back issues and had fusion surgery. They are extremely comfortable and sit me up right more. You have to place the bushings from the stock rubber ones to the polyurethane ones. Job took four hours.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:17 PM
Bogart99
1st Gear

Check out Hill Country Custom cycles, http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.com . They also have many styles to choose from. You can get just the bars, diy kits, or prewired. All of your hand controls should transfer over easily. I'm 6 ft. and went with 16" apes - perfect riding height, etc. But, If I did it again, I would get the 18" apes.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:58 PM
G E E
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi. Where is your back problem lower or upper or both ?? You need to figure out where you need our hand height . So you can find that sweet spot for your back. That only you can figure out. Your seat going to have a lot to do with this too.
I'm 6-2" and have KST 14" apes. I had 10" apes and knew I needed higher. There's a point where much higher than 16"+ may add to back/neck problem .

Old 06-24-2016, 03:51 AM
1st Gear

Awesome advice guys. Thanks alot! I figured the bushings would need replacing and the risers. I checked out hillcountrycustoms but the prices are a bit absurd for the premade bars. 1200 is alot when I could just run the wires myself n save 400 bucks. And my back problem is lower. L4/L5 bulge.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:56 PM
HCC Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple if things, we offer Basic Kits, Prewired Kits and Complete kits. You can purchase a basic kit for around $495 that includes the bars, cables, brake line and wire extensions. Then you assemble your kit like Foster wants.

On the problem with the back, the best way to select the correct height is to sit on your Harley, in an upright position and place your hands straight out where they are in a comfortable position. Now have someone measure from you hands down to the base of your existing bar and you have the height you need. If you are using a back rest like I do, then be sure to lean back into it like your riding when taking the measurement

Thank you

Old 06-24-2016, 07:58 PM
ndnguyd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To measure proper height, grab a broom handle and hold your hands out to where they feel the most comfortable and have some one get the measurement. Kinda like what was already said but using the broom handle method.

Quick Reply: Need suggestions for apes(road king)