Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger getting hot.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 05:20 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Reimer
The OL and I were out on a long ride(15 ultra classic) over the weekend ( her first 2+ hour ride) and she was complaining about a lot of heat coming up from the pipes. Anyone else's OL have that complaint. If so what have you done to help the problem. I don't want to decat but a tuner to rich-in her up is an option.Any other ideas?
How warm was it outside? Why not buy a used header off flea bay and de-cat it. Then, keep the OEM in case you need to put it back on later. Then you can richen up the fuel/air ratio. Where was she feeling heat? Her ankles? Her legs? Too many questions.
Also, keep moving and don't ride in traffic in the middle of the day. Go early in the day or later when it is not so hot. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:23 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nytryder
Trust me, this info is spot on. I've changed headers, muffler cores and added a TTS Mastertuner with a tune up from Doc. My wife's right leg is red after a day of riding unless she wears her boots and tall socks. Even with the twin cool and added mods that 110" motor throws off a ton of heat. The 103" is not much better. As for the pocket of hot air pools in the saddlebag area that is a perfect description as well.
When we bring a small cooler, we put it in the left bag. The ice seems to last longer.... I still say keep moving and wear long pants for your long term comfort and safety.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:24 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

On my 2012we put on true duals as part of the stage one. My wife really liked the difference in temps for her. Also wearing taller boots instead of shoes deflects a good amount of heat.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:53 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

My wife complained from day 1 about the heat from the exhaust on my 12 RG. The first weekend I had it I pulled the headpipe off and cut the cat out. It dropped the temps tremendously. When I first got it I had to wait 45 minutes to an hour to be able to put the cover on it, after removing the cat I only had to wait 15 minutes.

On the new bikes you can remove the cat and you don't need a tune as the fuel injection will self adjust enough to compensate for the cats removal. Just my .02

Old 06-21-2016, 07:19 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Twin-cooled bikes do not have an external oil cooler to replace and you cannot mount an Ultra Cool nor does it need one (with twin-cooling) as oil temps are controlled much better as is. Head temp is obviously down so a Ward's fan is typically not needed either.

What works for the "heat on passenger legs at speed" is to use a crotch cooler or similar, and also playing with the fairing and lower vents to direct/push air past the rear footing area. Do de-cat plus tuner for best results.

I hear ya. I've went with the Fullsac DX header, 2" cores and a TTS Tuner. Also been out to see Doc for a dyno tune. Better than stock but just plain damn hot in the heat of the day here in Fl. I may try a set of T Dual headers to move some heat to the left. Also may remove some of the plastic wind directors from around the gas tank crash bar area. Not uncommon to see road temps here 100* or so. Not talking about asphalt here I mean actual air temps. wscott I believe what you are saying, the difference is you are on a pre '14 bike. That power increase in '14 was due to cams and compression bumps thus higher engine temps. I cannot remove the lower fairings due to the twin cool radiators now live there. If that was still an option I would remove them and that would go a long way towards solving the heat issue. My oil temps on the hi way at speed run about 245*. Sitting still in traffic is about the same as my other bikes. HOT. My previous bikes would allow us to start cooling down at fairly low speeds. this bike at 70 mph does not, due to the lack of air over the exhaust system, the headers in particular. the overall engine temps are fine at all speeds or standing still. It's the humans that are suffering the heat. Cooling my engine oil 40* has little effect on cylinder head or cylinder temps. Typically I am riding at speeds of 50+ mph not too much stop and go traffic. The lack of air flow down the right side of my bike is the problem. I find your info interesting and somewhat helpful but it does little for my current problem. I'll be doing some experimenting in the next few weeks and hopefully will have some helpful info on this problem.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:44 AM
Rob Reimer
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like decat and tune is in for the near future. Played around with the lower vents didn't help.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:00 AM
Moses2
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default too hot for the passenger

After talking with Fuel Moto about cooling down the ride for my wife, they suggested the Jackpot stainless head pipe for my 2010 UC (103 kit,billet style AC,power commander V, FatShotz slipons) and they were right on. Losing the cat and getting a fresh map from them took the heat out of the ride by my wifes' feet. And the bike sounds fantastic, breathes easier, and feels like a little torque gain. Went out yesterday, mid 80s, for two hours with her in her favorite riding attire (flip flops and shorts...I know!) and not one complaint where there would have been plenty before the mod. Fuel Moto also suggested that in more extreme heat situations, like Arizona, to go with the porcelain coated. Stainless worked for me in upstate NY.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rob Reimer
The OL and I were out on a long ride(15 ultra classic) over the weekend ( her first 2+ hour ride) and she was complaining about a lot of heat coming up from the pipes. Anyone else's OL have that complaint. If so what have you done to help the problem. I don't want to decat but a tuner to rich-in her up is an option.Any other ideas?
Sorry to burst your bubble but there is really only one way to get rid of the heat. Get rid of the CAT, do a stage 1 with new tubes and get a good tune. I ended up buying another header so if I ever needed to do an emissions test, I could put it on and pass. (Maybe I would try as is first...) The difference in heat I feel from before is night and day. A cheap solution is to have her wear thicker and longer pants to block the heat.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:13 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain
Received 343 Likes on 141 Posts

My experience.
I have a 2012 Road Glide Custom that is set up more like an Ultra. I have added a Sundowner seat, passenger footboards and a tour pac.
I have a stage one flash, slip ons with the cat in place and an open breather. I also have wards fans that do a great job of managing engine heat but blow hot air on my right thigh. And I mean hot. On a long stretch I can move my legs around on the boards or put them on the highway pegs and keep them cool.

My wife says she never feels excessive heat, if she did she would let me know. She wears thigh high boots and jeans always. I would think capris and tennis shoes would make for some warm legs.
She doesn't do much stop and go riding with me and we do try to pick cooler times to ride. But on an all day ride or a weekend trip, you are riding in the hot and cool parts of the day.

A difference is I do not run lower fairings on my bike. That may help the air scavenge the heat away and not pool up like others experience. Removing them isn't an option on twin cooled.

The engines are big and hot on these bikes and they are right under us and between our legs. It is the nature of the beast that we all enjoy. Imagine having to mow your grass with an air cooled engine between your legs and you would look for a better solution.
I like the still air behind the faring but I have to say there are times when I wish I had more air blowing over me.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:42 PM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

Changing the entire exhaust, air filter, removing the lower fairings and a great tune reduced the heat a great deal. I also do everything in my power to stay away from heavy traffic when it is 85 and above.