Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to hide wires in tour pack lid

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 02:57 AM
electra_boogaloo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Need to hide wires in tour pack lid

You guys that like to light up your bikes, I need some guidance. I got a set of those led strips from the ricer section in wal mart to light up the inside of my tour pack. I found the best place to put the strips is on the side with the latches. That way when it's open the light shines directly into the tour pack. I bought the optional 12v adapter plug so i can leave it plugged into my accessory port in the TP and it has a big button to easily turn it on in the dark (giggity).

I just can't figure out how to run the wires down and keep them from flopping around and getting hung up/chopped. I also don't want to use tape, i'd like to make it look nice. Is there any way to run it on the inside of the weather stripping without the wires getting crimped?

Old 06-19-2016, 03:22 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

I understand what you're trying to do, but would not recommend messing with the weather seal; adding wires under it may pinch the wires, cause the seal to fail and will definitely cause issues with proper closure.

In order to do a clean install, I would consider using one of the numerous flat wire tape products. A Google search will find multiple sources. Here's one example:

http://www.taperwire.com/products.htm

The following users liked this post:
electra_boogaloo (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 10:55 PM
electra_boogaloo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hammz
I understand what you're trying to do, but would not recommend messing with the weather seal; adding wires under it may pinch the wires, cause the seal to fail and will definitely cause issues with proper closure.

In order to do a clean install, I would consider using one of the numerous flat wire tape products. A Google search will find multiple sources. Here's one example:

http://www.taperwire.com/products.htm
thanks for the tip. i went ahead and ran the wires between the weather stripping underneath the insert. I'm very impatient. I'm still going to look into the flat wire though because i don't see these lasting very long. if they short out in a terrible spot they were very cheap, so i'll just replace them. I'm going to post a quick pic too in case anyone in the future winds up with this problem.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:25 PM
electra_boogaloo
Cruiser

so i ran the wires between the weather strip and the lip on the inside. the wire were small enough to not get in the way of where the seal actually sits on the weatherstripping. My bike is worn in enough that i can see an indention on the weatherstripping. it's tucked away in the bend where the inside lip protrudes. i did have to notch the insert to make sure the wire didn't get bent over and shorted as easily. I hid all the wiring underneath the insert and only have the actual 12v plug sticking out so i can plug in other things if i so desire. the kit came with a hard wire plug, but it eliminates the switch. i may wind up routing it to the accessory switch this winter, who knows. right now it's convenient to have a nice big button to push. I think that covers everything. I'm going to post a video to my youtube in the next couple of weeks that shows more in depth, but for right now here's a picture of the finished product for anyone interested.