Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 09:30 PM
Shawrco
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another Seat Question

Hello All,
Did a 4,700 x-country trip last month on a Mustang wide vintage solo with backrest. Did an all day run before we left on a Sundowner; not bad on the butt burn but too far forward so decided to go with the Mustang. That said, was happy to get off it every 1.5 hours between gas stops so looking for something more comfortable.
I've scoured all the seat threads but haven't seen anyone mention trying the Mustang Deluxe for trikes on the non-trike FL bikes. Mustang says "The 19” wide front seat sets the rider back 1.75” compared to the stock seat plus it angles the body for long-distance comfort. The 14” wide rear seat provides support across its full width and keeps the passenger firmly in the comfort zone. forward." The front is wider than my solo seat but I'm wondering if the comfort would really be any better?? Also looking at the Mustang Summit, Super Tour, making a trip down to Ultimate in FL, and talking to Corbin. The stock CVO Road Glide seat feels like, as many have stated, that I'm sitting on the tank. Can Russell Day-Long move you back since they use the stock pan?
Dreaming of a 500 mile seat!

The following users liked this post:
REPO1 (06-19-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 10:11 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Seats are a difficult thing to recommend as what works for one might not work for another. I had a Mustang on my previous Fatboy and loved it. It was my first purchase when I bought the Roadglide, but did not work for me. I found my way to Corbin and it flat out works. I can ride all day long with zero butt burn or discomfort whatsoever.

As for a 500 mile seat, my fuel will not let me go more than 200 miles so I get a little break that often.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,865 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Both my wife and I love our Corbin - we've been riding on it for around 15 years.

I have a theory, all my own, which is that comfort starts at the road. Choice of tyre brand can improve long distance comfort, by simply transferring less harshness through the bike. The saddle is also important, but in our experience the greatest improvement can be had by using decent shocks. Our Ohlins have transformed our riding experience, extended our time in the saddle each day, also reduced our recovery time after we stop.

Last edited by grbrown; 06-19-2016 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 06-19-2016, 08:17 AM
tj66
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Both my wife and I love our Corbin - we've been riding on it for around 15 years.

I have a theory, all my own, which is that comfort starts at the road. Choice of tyre brand can improve long distance comfort, by simply transferring less harshness through the bike. The saddle is also important, but in our experience the greatest improvement can be had by using decent shocks. Our Ohlins have transformed our riding experience, extended our time in the saddle each day, also reduced our recovery time after we stop.
I agree with this 100%. Changing the suspension to Ohlins on my bike has been the best money I"ve spent as far as comfort for us. Have Mustang Super Tour which is nice also, but I think the shocks made more difference.

Last edited by tj66; 06-19-2016 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:20 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawrco
Hello All,
Did a 4,700 x-country trip last month on a Mustang wide vintage solo with backrest. Did an all day run before we left on a Sundowner; not bad on the butt burn but too far forward so decided to go with the Mustang. That said, was happy to get off it every 1.5 hours between gas stops so looking for something more comfortable.
I've scoured all the seat threads but haven't seen anyone mention trying the Mustang Deluxe for trikes on the non-trike FL bikes. Mustang says "The 19” wide front seat sets the rider back 1.75” compared to the stock seat plus it angles the body for long-distance comfort. The 14” wide rear seat provides support across its full width and keeps the passenger firmly in the comfort zone. forward." The front is wider than my solo seat but I'm wondering if the comfort would really be any better?? Also looking at the Mustang Summit, Super Tour, making a trip down to Ultimate in FL, and talking to Corbin. The stock CVO Road Glide seat feels like, as many have stated, that I'm sitting on the tank. Can Russell Day-Long move you back since they use the stock pan?

Pretty sure RDL can. They are one of the best seats in the business for a reason. I would give them a call and have them answer any questions you might have.

http://www.day-long.com/contact/

Rax

Old 06-19-2016, 09:26 AM
King-a-ling
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawrco
Hello All,
They should be able to. What they'll want is a pic of you on the bike feet up. I'm sure if you tell them you want to be moved back from that sitting position they should be able to. I'd give em call, very nice folks. The only down side to their seats is they extend the sides of the seat outward towards the front to support your weight which pushes on the back of your legs when you put your feet down. Where you once could flat foot you may have to slid up some when you stop. Other than that their seats are awesome.

I have the Mustang regal touring seat and for me it's comfortable, but after an hour or so my hip bones are digging in where as the Day-Long, it just cradles you.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Taxman
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Seats are so subjective.

I went through 5 seats in my quest to find what's comfortable. I finally settled on a Danny Gray weekender 2 up with the airhawk pad built in. It's fully adjustable and it puts you down and back compared to other seats. The hammock was more comfortable, but I just didn't like the way it looked. The Corbin felt like I was riding a wooden park bench. Two other seats were MCC modified and they just didn't fit right.

Now I can ride 650-700 miles a day without too much discomfort.