Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My DYI filter relocation with pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 10:00 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts
Default My DYI filter relocation with pics

After reading and investigating the various filter relocation options, I decided I didn't like any of em and wasn't going to pay double what I should. So, I looked around at 3/4-16 relocation 'universal kits' I found one I was going to put together myself. This kit was $45 shipped.

I used barb fittings that accommodated 3/8 tranny cooler hose and assembled my parts:

Now since chrome or aluminum is not my thing, I began rattle can spraying with high heat & radiator paint which is very close to denim black and got busy:

I haven't mounted anything to the frame yet but I'm using 1/8" wrinkle black coated billet aluminum that can handle a good amount of activity without worrying about what's going on back there. The other filter mounting hardware available was to me too thin and moved the filter too far away from the frame to clear the standard left slip on pipe. I have no such constraints and want it tucked as close to the swing arm and out of the way as possible. Stand by, I'll post once I'm done.

Last edited by TUCCI; 06-21-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:24 AM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Interesting,

Will be curious how it works out.

Shane

Old 06-18-2016, 05:20 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Looks like a good idea ! I was thinking just do away with the adapter and pull the stock oil filter off motor. Just use the remote oil filter with hoses hooked were old filter went. Have to look .....might just weld a bracket out back for oil filter... Thanx for giving me and idea !!!

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 06-18-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:07 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

Awesome, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:26 PM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Hmmm, subscribed.....

Old 06-21-2016, 03:56 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Ok, update on this project. I let the two pieces dry then sprayed a clearcoat to seal the paint.

Now I'm going to route the cooler lines just behind the derby and zip tied to the frame since the drive belt is directly above it. I am going to feed the lines between the motor and the cross member frame but I am going to cover the 3/8 hose with 1/2 in hose like a protective sheath (pic coming, hard to handle phone with oil all over).

Here's the finished filter adapter prior to installing in place over the rear, left motor mount, held by the rear floorboard bolts.

Next step is to do an oil change and route all the plumbing so, stand by for next section.
Here's the finished install:

Neat and tidy with no more oil getting all over the damn place.

Last edited by TUCCI; 06-24-2016 at 03:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bikeagraman (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 07:32 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 309 Posts

Kind of an updated old school idea, I like it. In the old days they would have that rigged it up for a car oil filter to increase capacity. Subscribed

Old 06-22-2016, 12:07 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

My question is whats the purpose of relocating the filter? Is it just to make changing the filter easier? I would be concerned about leaks at one of the hose to barb connections or a hose blowing off in the future.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:54 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
My question is whats the purpose of relocating the filter? Is it just to make changing the filter easier? I would be concerned about leaks at one of the hose to barb connections or a hose blowing off in the future.
=====================

1st to the OP,thanks for posting your great idea creating & posting a DIY oil filter relocation kit for our hd's.

Ok,now to address this statement :

"I would be concerned about leaks at one of the hose to barb connections or a hose blowing off in the future"

This type oil filter relocation setup has been used in automotive apps for yrs with no issues as long as you use quality clamps & hoses along with properly installing the kit too ensuring not to overtighten the clamps & letting hoses rub on sharp edges or lay on hot engine block or parts that all of which can lead to cutting & or damage of the hoses resulting in leaks,etc.

But like with any mods we add to our bikes you need to use some common sense along with way being pro-active looking at the mods we add to our bikes once in a while to chk tightness & cond of the hoses & clamps to see if there is anything going on allowing you to catch something before it becomes an issue on the road.

In an app like this where critical oil pressure is involved i sometimes dbl clamp each connection so if 1 clamp were to fail there's a 2nd clamp in place to still do the job which in fact is a situation i have had happen to me 1st hand a couple time over the past 4.5 decades wrenching cars & bikes where 1 clamp failed and the 2nd safety clamp was still holding just fine avoiding failure.

Then next time you would be checking the setup as a proactive maint item you would find the failed clamp when checking tightness of the clamps and could replace it at that time.

If your worried you could keep a couple clamps and 1 hose on the bike as spare in case ever failed on the road which wouldnt cost much & or take up much room at all .

Or if not that if something was to fail you could simply remove the adapter from the oil filter relocation kit from the main stock HD filter housing and reinstall the oil filter on the stock mount and top off oil & be on your way.

But again,the chance of leaks happening using quality parts & hi pressure heat & oil resistant hose designed for that app along with being installed properly & pro-active maint chk once in a while should low greatly reducing the chance of having issues ensuring a good lvl of confidence to not have issues on the road post installing an oil filter relocation kit that will make messy oil filter changes that gets all the wiring ,frame,motor mount,engine block under the oil filter a mess & hard to clean up often leaving dirty oil drips for a few days afterword even when trying to do a good job cleaning up the oil with brakleen etc all a thing of the past.

scott

Last edited by wscott; 06-24-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:58 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

That looks really clean!

I like the way the filter sits higher and tighter than other ones I've seen. On some, it looks like the filter (and housing) might come into contact with the ground in the cases of a tip-over, or aggressive cornering.

Would you mind sharing the sources for the universal relocation kit, as well as anything else in the kit that another DIY'er might need?

Thanks,

Shane

Quick Reply: My DYI filter relocation with pics