Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Engine Trouble, Need Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016 | 06:01 PM
HOGNOT
|
Tourer
Default Big Engine Trouble, Need Ideas

Greetings,

I just posted the following on another site and hope it's okay to spread the news here as well because I think the wider the net I cast the more ideas I'll get:

I'll try to make this short and sweet. My bike was built from a 96 to a 103 by the original owner. I had it built to a 107 at 20K miles shortly after I bought it 7 or 8 years ago, firstly to have compression releases installed thanks to severe starter and/or primary kickback problems. The engine held up fine for another 20K miles. Then things started to go to hell. The front cylinder head gasket blew out. Bike was in the shop for a month or so. They installed two "time-serts" in the front cylinder threads to repair damaged case threads which lead to the blown gasket. 2000 miles later it is back in the shop due to rear cylinder head gasket blowing out. Dealer recommended fixing all 4 case threads for the rear cylinder due to case thread past history. Today when they started re-assembly of the rear cylinder the repaired threads gave way and stripped again. I don't know which one(s) or location but am told they see no point in attempting another thread repair. So, this is where I need your thoughts. It may cost 3 or 4 grand to tear engine down, put new or good used cases on the bike and rebuild. I will explore the Harley engine exchange program to see if that should be considered. Obviously I could try to trade it in on a new or newer bike at the dealership where it sits now, but at a considerable value deficit most likely. Frankly I am a bit stunned by this development and don't have a clue which way to go or what to think. Your ideas, what I should be considering, questions I should be asking, other bikes I should be considering, Harley or not, etc, experiences along these lines are welcome. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited by HOGNOT; 06-16-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2016 | 06:21 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

I understand that this suggestion doesnt put you at the power you are at now but it's a more economical solution that should give you close to what you had.
The suggestion is a new (er) used/take off 103ho. There was a thread not to long ago where a guy bought a 103 ho take off for about $2k. There are usually used and take offs on ebay for around that. Or your dealer may be able to find one for you.
In any case you'd end up with a newer, lower milage engine and not too great a power loss.

The following users liked this post:
HOGNOT (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016 | 06:42 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

From the sounds of things whoever built it didn't do a very good job, blown head gaskets were the final straw od loose studs. Seriously given the situation, there's no value left in this motor or rebuilding it other than to replace the motor. So rebuilding it to off the bike or trading as-is is just throwing good money after bad.
I'd seriously consider a good used take out or use the exchange program, maybe a 103 or 110. If you really must havE a built motor go with S&S 124 or even the SE 120 tourer. Food for thought. Good luck with your decision

HOGNOT (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016 | 07:37 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Lots of 103's for sale on ebay and craigslist. Here's a brand new one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...dW8Sxl&vxp=mtr

HOGNOT (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016 | 08:36 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior

I agree with a new take-off.

HOGNOT (06-16-2016)
Old 06-17-2016 | 08:54 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I can see little to be gained by rebuilding the current engine, either with new or secondhand parts, not least because a major cost is going to be a lot of labour charges. If you plan on selling the bike I also wouldn't blow out on a new 103", but buy a used one, to reduce costs. However if you want to keep your bike, an injection of some extra performance with a 120" or 124" should put a big smile back on your face! I have an S&S engine in my Evo and it's been great. A 124" LC won't make any waves, but should provide an easy running big touring motor, unstressed and built like a brick outhouse.

Old 06-17-2016 | 09:31 AM
BigMike17
Road Master

Agree with the others - get a used take off and go that direction - save yourself the grief and expense -

Old 06-17-2016 | 09:45 AM
HOGNOT
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Vernal
Lots of 103's for sale on ebay and craigslist. Here's a brand new one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...dW8Sxl&vxp=mtr
That's a tempting idea certainly, however, how do I determine if a particular engine will fit in my '09 frame and match up with my transmission, compensator, intakes, exhausts, etc.

Thanks

Old 06-17-2016 | 09:50 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

I also agree with others on an exchange if you're planning on keeping the bike. At least you know the new motor is relatively good. Size? Up to you, but sounds like bigger is better, at least that was your progression.

Food for thought if you're planning on trading altogether. The '17s are coming out in a couple months. Might be good to see what's in store or at the least some good deals to be had on 'last years' models.

Old 06-17-2016 | 10:01 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HOGNOT
Greetings,

I just posted the following on another site and hope it's okay to spread the news here as well because I think the wider the net I cast the more ideas I'll get:

I'll try to make this short and sweet. My bike was built from a 96 to a 103 by the original owner. I had it built to a 107 at 20K miles shortly after I bought it 7 or 8 years ago, firstly to have compression releases installed thanks to severe starter and/or primary kickback problems. The engine held up fine for another 20K miles. Then things started to go to hell. The front cylinder head gasket blew out. Bike was in the shop for a month or so. They installed two "time-serts" in the front cylinder threads to repair damaged case threads which lead to the blown gasket. 2000 miles later it is back in the shop due to rear cylinder head gasket blowing out. Dealer recommended fixing all 4 case threads for the rear cylinder due to case thread past history. Today when they started re-assembly of the rear cylinder the repaired threads gave way and stripped again. I don't know which one(s) or location but am told they see no point in attempting another thread repair. So, this is where I need your thoughts. It may cost 3 or 4 grand to tear engine down, put new or good used cases on the bike and rebuild. I will explore the Harley engine exchange program to see if that should be considered. Obviously I could try to trade it in on a new or newer bike at the dealership where it sits now, but at a considerable value deficit most likely. Frankly I am a bit stunned by this development and don't have a clue which way to go or what to think. Your ideas, what I should be considering, questions I should be asking, other bikes I should be considering, Harley or not, etc, experiences along these lines are welcome. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
If the dealer did the heli-coils properly, I doubt very seriously that they would pull/strip out. Get someone knowledgeable to look at the bike. You may have legal recourse to the dealer that did the work. Sure sounds fishy to me.

Quick Reply: Big Engine Trouble, Need Ideas