Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myrtle Beach -- A Few Observations

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 08:42 AM
RanD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Myrtle Beach -- A Few Observations

I'm currently in the middle of my annual solo MC trip and since I'm traveling in the SE, I thought I'd go check out Myrtle Beach. Being a veteran Sturgis attendee, it was natural for me to compare these two national events. Personally (and with all due respect to those who love Myrtle Beach), I think Sturgis blows this event away. For me this is mostly due to the surroundings. Its tough to beat the Sturgis area with the Black Hills, Devils Tower, Mt. Rushmore, Spearfish Canyon, Crazy Horse, Custer National park, etc. Also, at Myrtle Beach there seems to be many more cages in the mix. The average age of the crowd seems a few years younger at Myrtle Beach as well (maybe its just that I'm getting older -- 49). All-in-all I'm glad I went, but I doubt that I'd go again. Its a little too 'urban' for me. And like I said...just my opinion....for those of you who love Myrtle Beach, God Bless ya!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:54 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Myrtle Beach -- A Few Observations

hey, good observations.
I, we, just got back from MBBW. I have been going for the past three/four years. I noticed that there were a lot less bikes on the rode as in previous years. Could be the price of gas kept some of the 'trailerers' away. You know the guys that come with their bikes on a trailer instead of actually riding the distance. That would keep me at home too.
The crowd does seem to be a bit younger even from other HD events. Us, east coasters, go to MB for a couple reasons...one, its fairly close and two...something to do. However, it is becoming a bit boring. Maybe i am getting too old.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:47 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw a lot of riders that were new and being really stupid. I also saw a lot of riders that did not fit their bike. When you can't reach the bars and back your bike up, the bike does not fit you. You may look cool but everyone knows your not a biker. Same thing when you can't flat foot it to back the bike. I live not far from Myrtle, I ride up about twice durin the week. The rest of the time, I prefer to stay away.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:09 AM
RoadKingRon
Advanced

I have been attending for nearly 10 years. the big difference is the crowd does get younger, this in not neccessarily bad though. the cages in the mix are largely due to the fact that it remains a vacation destination for families and golfers even during bike week. Each year my wife and I discuss whether or not to keep attending, we do but each year we do less and less "bike week" type events and more just enjoying the beach and riding away from bike week. Some of the rides out of town although nothing compares to sturgis, I have attended as well it is still fun.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:40 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

I enjoyed the two day ride on the bike down and the two day ride back moreso than the event itself But I had a good time.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Sheep
Tourer

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

I saw a lot of riders that were new and being really stupid. I also saw a lot of riders that did not fit their bike. When you can't reach the bars and back your bike up, the bike does not fit you. You may look cool but everyone knows your not a biker. Same thing when you can't flat foot it to back the bike. I live not far from Myrtle, I ride up about twice durin the week. The rest of the time, I prefer to stay away.
Same here. I live about 45 miles up Hwy 9 and then Hwy 917. I rode down doing it as day trips Thurs-Sun. Seemed a smaller crowd.

I kept going back to Broadway and looking at the Tru-track and the Thunder-max. Managed to resist for now.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:24 PM
RanD
Tourer

Thanks for the comments folks. Sounds like I'm not out in left field with my observations. I was gone before it got dark, so I have no idea what things are like at night, but I'll bet those pretty young ladies I saw get even prettier

Old 05-21-2007, 11:47 PM
THABULL
Road Master

I have been going to MB for years but this was my 1st on a bike and will probably be my last. The ride down from home is all straight roads and and it's nothing but traffic and stop light once you get there. Personally I'd rather head to the mountains and ride the curves.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:16 AM
hd2007
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a great time a few things that stuck out to me: was the amount of trailers outside the motels and condos was truly hard to believe , very few actually rode the machines down , very large number of R.U.B.S. , a lot of families that booked there vacation not knowing it was bike week , you should have seen there faces in front of Dun kin donuts with all the bikes going by.
I still enjoy the 2 day ride down as much as the actual event.