Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 08:45 PM
twp98
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Oil leak

Ok I noticed a oil leak on my 09 Street glide. It looks like it is coming from where the motor is put together. Leaking from the seem. It's not dripped on the floor but the bottom of the motor gets wet after a 50 mile or so ride. These are the best pics I could get. Not much room to get under there. I know it needs to be fixed but looks to me like the motor will have to come out.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:47 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Yep, have to split and reseal the cases for the proper fix. Might as well have the crank trued, pinned, welded once the cases are split.............just sayin'

Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 PM
JoeAverage
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Clean it off and trade it in.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:15 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

I'd ride it for 100k miles; then I'd do something about it. It's not a safety of flight issue.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:27 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

The best thing for Harleys is brake clean. check the oil once in awhile.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:04 PM
JoeAverage
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey 98, how many miles do you have on it?

Old 06-15-2016, 05:31 AM
twp98
Tourer

Originally Posted by JoeAverage
Hey 98, how many miles do you have on it?
Not to many it just has 17k.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:52 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zerk
The best thing for Harleys is brake clean. check the oil once in awhile.
I wouldn't even clean it. If someone went outside and crawled under their car or truck they're likely to find some sort of weep or leak. They wouldn't take it to a shop and have the engine removed to replace the offending gasket. I love my motorcycles but I love riding more. I'm not perfect and neither are they. If something comes up that's a safety issue or it affects the ride/my ability to ride it then it gets attended to. Other than that, all I do is wear them out. You take that engine apart to fix a leak like that and will have effectively thrown 80,000 miles of use in the trash. If you attended to it in 80,000 miles when the bike rolls over 100K then you did alright because there are other things in the neighborhood that needed attending to. My luck would be that I'd do a tear down and find out it wasn't a case seal issue but a porous case/casting issue.

I would check the torque on the case bolts but other than that I'd ride it. You gotta love the "clean it off and trade it" crowd. That's real ethical.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 06-15-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:50 AM
twp98
Tourer

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I wouldn't even clean it. If someone went outside and crawled under their car or truck they're likely to find some sort of weep or leak. They wouldn't take it to a shop and have the engine removed to replace the offending gasket. I love my motorcycles but I love riding more. I'm not perfect and neither are they. If something comes up that's a safety issue or it affects the ride/my ability to ride it then it gets attended to. Other than that, all I do is wear them out. You take that engine apart to fix a leak like that and will have effectively thrown 80,000 miles of use in the trash. If you attended to it in 80,000 miles when the bike rolls over 100K then you did alright because there are other things in the neighborhood that needed attending to. My luck would be that I'd do a tear down and find out it wasn't a case seal issue but a porous case/casting issue.

I would check the torque on the case bolts but other than that I'd ride it. You gotta love the "clean it off and trade it" crowd. That's real ethical.
Thanks Nomadmax. It guess I was just shocked to see it. I agree I'm just going to ride it and keep an eye on it and the oil leavel. I would not trade it in just for that.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:46 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah I understand where you're coming from for sure. It's not something you'd expect or like to see on a relatively new, low miles machine. I think you're going to have a lot of fun on that bike before it's time to deal with it.

Quick Reply: Oil leak