Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD SERVICE BULLETINS

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 12:45 AM
southerlytide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD SERVICE BULLETINS

Hey where are youall finding out about these HD service bulletins. I have had numerous issues with my dealer and its always " Thats normal" last one was for brake squeal. Im an Liscensed Aircraft mechanic and we use service bulletins all the time. And Im tired of fixing my warranty stuff myself. My bike is still under warranty for a while. these guys are quick to show you ones that require no work.If I did my job this way there would be lots of dead people. I need a new service dept. any help would be appreciated. Bob

Old 05-20-2007, 12:59 AM
tread 2007 ultra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HD SERVICE BULLETINS

Click on this link and enter your vin #
https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/M...bmLocale=en_US

Old 05-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Try doing a search. There was something about swapping and aligning the front rotors. It is from Harley. If the you complain about it they have to fix it. Service Bulletin came out in July of 2006. Got the info from this forum.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:34 AM
TerryM
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: tread 2007 ultra

Click on this link and enter your vin #
https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/M...bmLocale=en_US
Every time i put my vin in it just brings me to the scheduled maint. for the mileage im entering. How do you see the bulletins or recalls?

Old 05-20-2007, 08:10 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I was told if you don't get the SB when you enter your VIN, you don't have one for your bike. I don't think that is true, but who am I to argue. I found out about the SB on this site. I check this forum every night, and learn something new each time.

Did you swap the rotors yet? I had that silicon/foam put in my cast wheels and it fixed the squeal, but did the swap anyways. Now that weird front brake noise (not the squeal) is gone as well. Man, I love this forum.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:11 PM
TerryM
Cruiser

I had my rotors swapped at my 1000 mile service. Read this website to find the fix, called my dealer, one of the service guys acted like he had never heard of any issue. The service manager promptly said we'll swap the rotors and its been fine since.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Eddie Haskell
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

So can someone explain this rotor swap? Mine makes noise and it's not a squeal it's a lower tone than that.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:09 PM
spokes54
Advanced

i changed my rotors to HD floaters and updated to braided lines and have had no squeal or pulsing since.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:21 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a copy of the actual bulletin, but I don't know how to attach it, so here is a cut and paste. If you want the original from HD you can PM me.

SERVICE BULLETIN M-1192A July 17, 2006 1 of 2 SWAPPING AND ALIGNING FIXED DUAL DISCS Purpose It has recently been determined that swapping and aligning the front brake discs on motorcycles having fixed dual disc brakes can significantly reduce brake squeal. Therefore, effective June 26, 2006, the front brake discs will be swapped and aligned on all production motorcycles having fixed dual disc brakes. The running change moves the former left side brake disc stamped P/N 44156-00 LEFT to the right side of the hub, and the former right side brake disc stamped P/N 44136-00 RIGHT to the left side of the hub. The vent holes are then aligned before the discs are fastened to the hub. Also, in the interest of promoting customer satisfaction, Harley-Davidson will swap and align the front brake discs on affected motorcycles under warranty, but only when responding to customer complaints of excessive brake squeal. See REQUIRED DEALER ACTION. Motorcycles Affected All 2000-2006 model motorcycles, as well as those 2007 models built before June 26, 2006, having fixed dual disc brakes that exhibit excessive front brake squeal. Required Dealer Action NOTE Obtain the applicable service manual for all removal and installation instructions. 1. Take note of the brake disc stampings. If left side brake disc is stamped P/N 44156-00 LEFT and right side brake disc is stamped P/N 44136-00 RIGHT, then swap the brake discs as follows: NOTE Another way to determine whether the brake discs have been swapped is to look at any of the five slots. Note that one end of the slot is bulb shaped and is more fully round than the other. On wheels where the brake discs have NOT been swapped, the bulb shape is on the trailing end of the slot when referencing the direction of wheel rotation. On wheels where the brake discs have been swapped, the bulb shape is on the leading end of the slot. See Figure 1 and Table 1. Figure 1. Note Bulb Shaped End of Slot (Left Side Brake Disc Shown) Table 1. Front Brake Discs Not Swapped Early Style Swapped Late Style Left side brake disc stamped P/N 44156-00 LEFT Left side brake disc stamped P/N 44136-00 RIGHT Right side brake disc stamped P/N 44136-00 RIGHT Right side brake disc stamped P/N 44156-00 LEFT Referencing direction of wheel rotation, bulb shaped end of slot is: TRAILING LEADING Not Swapped Swapped Direction of Rotation f2644x2x IMPORTANT NOTE In the interest of preserving customer safety and satisfaction, always check for outstanding recalls whenever any motorcycle is brought into your dealership for either maintenance or service.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:23 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Another version I had:

M-1192A 1 of 2
SERVICE BULLETIN
M-1192A July 17, 2006
SWAPPING AND ALIGNING FIXED DUAL DISCS

PURPOSE
It has recently been determined that swapping and aligning the front brake discs on motorcycles having fixed dual disc brakes can significantly reduce brake squeal. Therefore, effective June 26, 2006, the front brake discs will be swapped and aligned on all production motorcycles having fixed dual disc brakes. The running change moves the former left side brake disc stamped P/N 44156-00 LEFT to the right side of the hub, and the former right side brake disc stamped P/N 44136-00 RIGHT to the left side of the hub. The vent holes are then aligned before the discs are fastened to the hub.

Also, in the interest of promoting customer satisfaction, Harley-Davidson will swap and align the front brake discs on affected motorcycles under warranty, but only when responding to customer complaints of excessive brake squeal. See REQUIRED DEALER ACTION. Motorcycles Affected All 2000-2006 model motorcycles, as well as those 2007 models built before June 26, 2006, having fixed dual disc brakes that exhibit excessive front brake squeal.

Required Dealer Action
NOTE Obtain the applicable service manual for all removal and installation instructions.
1. Take note of the brake disc stampings. If left side brake disc is stamped P/N 44156-00 LEFT and right side brake disc is stamped P/N 44136-00 RIGHT, then swap the brake discs as follows:
NOTE: Another way to determine whether the brake discs have been swapped is to look at any of the five slots. Note that one end of the slot is bulb shaped and is more fully round than the other. On wheels where the brake discs have NOT been swapped, the bulb shape is on the trailing end of the slot when referencing the direction of wheel rotation. On wheels where the brake discs have been swapped, the bulb shape is on the leading end of the slot. See Figure 1 and Table 1. Figure 1. Note Bulb Shaped End of Slot (Left Side Brake Disc Shown) Table 1. Front Brake Discs Not Swapped Early Style Swapped Late Style Left side brake disc stamped P/N 44156-00 LEFT Left side brake disc stamped P/N 44136-00 RIGHT Right side brake disc stamped P/N 44136-00 RIGHT Right side brake disc stamped P/N 44156-00 LEFT Referencing direction of wheel rotation, bulb shaped end of slot is: TRAILING LEADING Not Swapped Swapped Direction of Rotation f2644x2x

IMPORTANT NOTE In the interest of preserving customer safety and satisfaction, always check for outstanding recalls whenever any motorcycle is brought into your dealership for either maintenance or service.
©2006 HARLEY-DAVIDSON MOTOR COMPANY
ROUTING SERVICE MANAGER
SALES MANAGER
PARTS MANAGER
LEAD TECHNICIAN
TECHNICIAN NO.1
TECHNICIAN NO. 2
TECHNICIAN NO. 3
TECHNICIAN NO. 4
RETURN THIS TO INITIAL HERE

M-1192A 2 of 2
a. Remove the front wheel. Remove both brake discs from hub.
b. Place the inboard sides of the brake discs together. Be sure the stampings (minimum thickness, part number and location) on both brake discs are on the outboard side.
c. Rotate discs as necessary until all vent holes are in alignment. Holding brake discs aligned, use a magic marker or paint pen to make a line across the edge of both brake discs.
NOTE Even if the brake disc locations are swapped, the rider will not experience a reduction in brake noise unless the brake discs are aligned.

d. Keeping the paint marks aligned, install brake discs to hub using new screws. Be sure that the former left side brake disc stamped P/N 44156-00 LEFT is installed on the right side of the hub (valve stem side), and the former right side brake disc stamped P/N 44136-00 RIGHT is installed on the left side of the hub.
e. Verify that the paint marks on the edges of the brake discs are still aligned. A long Phillips screwdriver or straight piece of drill rod can be inserted straight through the vent holes of both the left and r

Quick Reply: HD SERVICE BULLETINS