Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 Electra glide sport

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 03:10 AM
Woody1674
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 Electra glide sport

Hi. I'm new to this forum but not new to motorcycles. I'm trying to get information on a build. So my plan is to take a 91 Electra glide sport and throw a 103ci engine with a 6 speed transmission in it. I plan on using a carb instead of EFI simply because the bike is originally carbed and I don't want to modernize it. So my main question, is what all should I expect to be able to do this. Also if anyone has done a build similar to this, what kind of pricing should I be looking at to complete it? what all is involved? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-09-2016, 04:46 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 672 Posts

If you are talking about putting a twincam in the evo frame...... Some frame fabrication. Also spacing adjustments. New wiring harness and a stand alone ignition if you don't use a factory harness. It you want to use an evo that's a hundred inch or bigger and an evo six speed gearset. That's easier

Old 06-09-2016, 06:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi Woody from the UK and welcome to HDF. 1990 FLHS here, owned from new, with an S&S 107" engine installed. Will a twincam TC103 drive-train go in? No idea! A later Evo will, with integral 5-speed and you will find some info over in the Evo section about that. Even that is not common, so asking what is involved in fitted a TC103 sounds like treading into the unknown. You may have to solve this yourself. There are a few members doing remarkable things with their bikes, but mods of that sort are rare.

There are of course 6-speed conversions available for your trans, or the later spec Evo 5-speeds, also aftermarket engines up to 124" and beyond. At least one member with an Evo has a 155"......

Old 06-09-2016, 08:28 AM
Woody1674
Stage IV

Originally Posted by grbrown
Hi Woody from the UK and welcome to HDF. 1990 FLHS here, owned from new, with an S&S 107" engine installed. Will a twincam TC103 drive-train go in? No idea! A later Evo will, with integral 5-speed and you will find some info over in the Evo section about that. Even that is not common, so asking what is involved in fitted a TC103 sounds like treading into the unknown. You may have to solve this yourself. There are a few members doing remarkable things with their bikes, but mods of that sort are rare.

There are of course 6-speed conversions available for your trans, or the later spec Evo 5-speeds, also aftermarket engines up to 124" and beyond. At least one member with an Evo has a 155"......
Thank you for your reply!
So whenever you did your 107" swap, what all was involved? was the wiring completely different from the Harley engine to the s&s engine? I'm thinking about going with the 107" or maybe the 111". Also what about the transmission. Does it mount straight up to the s&s engine?

Old 06-09-2016, 08:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member

The S&S 107" has been replaced by the later 111", so I don't think the 107 is still available. I bought mine in 2008. I had it installed by an indy, but as far as I know came with all the extra wiring that was necessary. I have the IST ignition system and automatic compression releases. It bolted up to my transmission, primary etc. As it produces more torque than the stock Evo I also have a stronger clutch spring, which was the only other essential change.

My compensator had worn so the teeth were sharp, also the chain was a bit worn, so I had them changed as well, which pretty well sums everything up! I continued to use my original stock starter, but that eventually gave up, so I now have a stronger one. I recently fitted a Baker DD6 transmission gear set.

Of course a 124" is an alternative, would still bolt right in, although one of them may well need a bit more beefing up of other parts!

Old 06-09-2016, 08:50 AM
Woody1674
Stage IV

Originally Posted by grbrown
The S&S 107" has been replaced by the later 111", so I don't think the 107 is still available. I bought mine in 2008. I had it installed by an indy, but as far as I know came with all the extra wiring that was necessary. I have the IST ignition system and automatic compression releases. It bolted up to my transmission, primary etc. As it produces more torque than the stock Evo I also have a stronger clutch spring, which was the only other essential change.

My compensator had worn so the teeth were sharp, also the chain was a bit worn, so I had them changed as well, which pretty well sums everything up! I continued to use my original stock starter, but that eventually gave up, so I now have a stronger one. I recently fitted a Baker DD6 transmission gear set.

Of course a 124" is an alternative, would still bolt right in, although one of them may well need a bit more beefing up of other parts!
Awesome! Thank you for so much information! I truly appreciate it!

Old 06-09-2016, 08:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member

A pleasure! If you have any other queries call into the Evo section, where you will find several of us with similar age bikes and S&S (and other brand) engines.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:21 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

There was a thread on here somewhere about a month ago about someone who put a more modern engine and drive train in an old evo bike. I think it was a road king. Try some searches.