Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 Electra Glide Brakes Rotor warm issues ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016 | 10:26 PM
Leadfooter
|
6th Gear
Default 12 Electra Glide Brakes Rotor warm issues ??

I have a 12 Electra Glide Classic (no ABS) It has about 4000 miles on it and I bought it used. One of the front rotors got hot and warped. There was a lot of brake dust and a large june bug up in the caliper so I cleaned both calipers with soap and water and some brake clean. I then replaced the bad rotor and put new pads in that bad side.
I took it for a ride tonight (5 miles at 60mph) and the new rotor gets warm but not really hot you can still put your hand on it easily.
The other rotor is cool but seems like its warm in just one spot so I think it may be slightly warped.
The master cylinder always seems to be a bit wet looking around the edge closest to me where there is no screw in that corner.
Is this normal since the new pads might be abit tighter? or do I have a problem somewhere? I don't want to ruin another rotor...

Old 06-07-2016 | 05:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Welcome to HDF. Two things come to mind.

1. Bleed your brakes, to replace the current fluid and also to set the brake fluid at the correct level. That wet look may simply be that your reservoir is over-filled, so take care when removing the cover. When installing new pads the pistons have to be pushed back into the calipers, which can cause that over-filling. So bleeding really should be done at the same time IMHO.

2. The heating of your rotor may be because you have a dragging piston or more, confirmed by the brake dust you mention. That caliper (and the other one, while you're at it), needs to be cleaned and the free movement of all the pistons confirmed. Once done your problems should be over.

Old 06-07-2016 | 07:23 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member

You didn't say if the pads on the warped rotor side had excessive wear compared to the other side.If it did,I would suspect caliper piston hanging up caused problem.If pad wear was the same on both sides,caliper probably is functioning Ok and heat on new rotor is probably from having new pads on that side.I would have replaced front pads on both sides if wear factor was the same.

Old 06-07-2016 | 02:11 PM
Leadfooter
|
6th Gear

Thanks for the replies.
The wet area on the master cylinder has been that way since I got the bike, The fluid level looks good and the pads were worn down a lot on the bad side that was my reasoning for replacing just the one side. I believe It had been dragging for a while.