Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercom Headset Opinions wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Jock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Intercom Headset Opinions wanted...

Interesting - here in the UK you get two headsets as standard with a new bike

Old 05-21-2007, 01:43 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Cache ,,,,,

I do not wish to offend you ,,, but you have the intercom vox set wide open and the headsetspeakers cannot be heardat the proper volume unless you turn the intercom OFF ,,,,,

now set the intercom mute sensitivity to two blocks below all the way right ,,,,,, and see how that works for you ,,,,,

also ,,, move you mike wind socks back a little and make sure you are talking into the front of each mike ,,,,

sorry for the confusion ,, JMJOHN ,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,

Old 05-21-2007, 02:13 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lemme point out one other VERY important issue...the HD headset cords will pull out from the helmet connection. When it does, it slingshots to the gas tank, an' will on occassion turn as it does so, causing the metal plug to strike the tank with enough force to chip the paint.

I no longer use the HD headsets, went with J&M - no more tank damage![:@]

Old 05-21-2007, 02:14 AM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

talking (again this is 2nd party knowledge/information) .... the feedback I've been given is the Harley headsets deal with the mic much better than the J&M (clearer and VOX works much better). However the internal SPEAKERS for the helmet are much much better by J&M than Harley. Probably doesn't help much. I have received more 'white-noise' when listening to those transmitting on J&M headsets then what I hear from coming from transmissions from HD headsets. But the internal HD speakers..... DANG THEY SUCK!

Old 05-21-2007, 02:27 AM
Panhead_1_9_4_8
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one that came with my '06 I'll never use. Was going to toss it out on ebay. PM me if your interested in it.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using J&M's since probably the mid 90s with no problems at all. I used them on a Wing for years and have had them on my Ultra since 01. Well, actually I have them in my full face and my wife has them in her 3/4. I have the HD headset in my 3/4 and they seem to play well together. TTR makes a good point in that the helmet side plug will come loose sometimes so I make it a habbit to check it with some regularity to insure it is secure. And as JMJohn says (Hi Laz), it is a one piece cord rather then the two piece from J&M. In the late 90s, there was a great deal of dissatisfaction with the sound of J&M's in the Wing community and J&M asked me if I'd test three of their headsets, from the least expensive to the most, and provide an unbiased evaluation. I did and although was not thrilled with any of the performance, the higher priced headsets performed much better then the lower priced set. All this time, Wing riders were bashing not only J&M but other manufacturers as well. When I went to the Harley and its audio system, the cause became obvious ... it wasn't the poor performance of anyones headsets but it was the inferior quality of Honda's audio system on the Gold Wing. On the Harley, for the first time we could hear the music, words, etc. the way they should have sounded. Not brand bashing here, so don't take it that way. Just saying that Harley's audio system is just outstanding and will provide the headsets the kind of input necessary. J&M's are expensive, but they also provide quality sound and their customer service is exceptional, in my opinion. That wasn't always the case, but John has listened to his customers and has taken steps to insure that if you have a problem, it is taken care of, and quickly.