Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes a stator to go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 07:49 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by banddirector
I just took my bike in for it's 50K maintenance, and my tech said my stator was frying - - primary oil apparently stunk like melted wires.

I'm kind of disappointed in the MoCo - - I've been very diligent with all maintenance since I bought the bike new, and I didn't expect the stator to go out so soon.
Why be disappointed? First off its a mechanical thing, things fail. Are you absolutely sure any mods or maintenance you've done or lack of, could have contributed?
Secondly and more importantly is, you had a preventative maintenance service performed, and the tech found this and repaired it before it left you stranded somewhere! I'd say it was money well spent. You should be thankful this guy knew what he found was a immenent failure if not repaired. How many dealers use a lot boy to change fluids and not have a clue of how to inspect a bike or identify issues?

Old 06-18-2016, 08:54 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

I just took my bike in for it's 50K maintaince.
I'm kind of disappointed in the MoCo - - I've been very diligent with all maintenance since I bought the bike new, and I didn't expect the stator to go out so soon.
Oh how spoiled have we become. And I include myself in that statement.
I remember when new cars came with a 12 month, 24k mile warranty. If it made it to 50k it was time to start lookig for another new car. My first car at 16yo was almost 7 years old and had almost 90k on it and dad told me I'd end up regretting buying it. He was right, I did.
Now, my current truck, an 06 Ridgeline, has almost 250k on the clock and still runs like a top.
I wonder what warranty HD had in the 70s?

Old 06-18-2016, 10:23 AM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Why be disappointed? First off its a mechanical thing, things fail. Are you absolutely sure any mods or maintenance you've done or lack of, could have contributed?
Secondly and more importantly is, you had a preventative maintenance service performed, and the tech found this and repaired it before it left you stranded somewhere! I'd say it was money well spent. You should be thankful this guy knew what he found was a immenent failure if not repaired. How many dealers use a lot boy to change fluids and not have a clue of how to inspect a bike or identify issues?
You make several good points. I haven't made any mods, but maybe I should have - - being that the bike is bone stock, it runs really hot in the summer, and maybe if I'd done a stage 1 earlier on this might not have happened.

But I have to totally agree this is better than getting stranded somewhere ...

Old 06-18-2016, 10:25 AM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ORradtech
Oh how spoiled have we become. And I include myself in that statement.
I remember when new cars came with a 12 month, 24k mile warranty. If it made it to 50k it was time to start lookig for another new car. My first car at 16yo was almost 7 years old and had almost 90k on it and dad told me I'd end up regretting buying it. He was right, I did.
Now, my current truck, an 06 Ridgeline, has almost 250k on the clock and still runs like a top.
I wonder what warranty HD had in the 70s?
You're absolutely right - - I am spoiled! I want my motors to last 100K+ before they need anything major ...

Old 06-18-2016, 10:35 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

You're absolutely right - - I am spoiled! I want my motors to last 100K+ before they need anything major ...
Well, technically the engine is fine, your "alternator" just went out...

Old 10-02-2022, 08:05 AM
mrmatw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope mine doesn't look this bad when I crack the primary. Mine went after the hot Sturgis run. I have a rebuild 124 in a 2016 RG CVO. 110 tappets went out at 65K and trashed the motor. So I went up. Had some minor flaws and things to adjust but all went well. Exposed her to 105 degree days and slow rides.. changes the oil as soon as I got home but the volt meter went stupid. Then... red light on, voltage went to 9 and Limped home. Good thing Not far from home. TESTS - no juice getting back to the battery. Stator was putting out about 24 volts dc so I figured I was in fair shape. Changes battery it was showing 9 volts after 7 hrs of charging. Changed the regulator... ok now we have to change the stator.. less than 11 output... so... For any rebuild. Yep I'm replacing all three. Seems the better prevention to do... just my thoughts. I'll post results after this is done.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:57 AM
propflux01
Road Master

Received 272 Likes on 174 Posts

Doesn't look like Cycle Electric does M8's.