Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes a stator to go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 06:33 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynbob
www.cycleelectricinc.com

Get the whole kit(stator/rotor/regulator) and change your primary fluid every 5000 miles or twice a year.
Bob hit it on the head. Get a Cycle Electric stator and regulator/rectifier.

I know we're talking about Touring machines here but the root causes that burn up a stator are all the same. Over taxed, weak battery, bad ground, bad regulator/rectifier or the wrong kind of regulator/rectifier.

Modern Sportsters have shunt regulators vs series regulators. The stock shunt regulator will burn up stators on a pretty regular basis because they work at 100% all the time and shunt the excess voltage, regardless of draw.

If I replace anything to do with a an HD charging system I install Cycle Electric components. Made in Ohio and high quality.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:17 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
At the risk of not being politically correct in the eyes of all the "Kool Aid" drinkers here, I am thinking that the No. 1 reason that so many stators fail on newer bikes is that the MOCO buys the cheapest components that they can source in the hope that they will last 24 months before they croak. My bet would be that they have a supplier in China for stators but I don't know that for a fact, just a guess on my part.
Couple of thoughts on this.
Firstly it's only good business practice to buy parts as inexpensively as possible. Some (stockholders) would say that there is a responsibility to do so. Hopefully a quality manufacturer will balance material cost with quality to achieve a satisfactory balance.
Also to be considered is the fact that manufacturers can be lied to or fooled about quality by suppliers. Just look at the airbag recall...
Secondly, internet fourms, at their core, exist to whine and complain. For example, my 07 Ultra Classic still has the stator it was born with but I don't start a thread saying how well it's still working at 9 yo.
Finally, you have no clue about the actual failure rate of this, or any other, part on these bikes. If HD makes 250k + bikes a year and have 5k stators fail in two years that's less than 1% failure rate.

And I haven't had any HD Kool aid, well not too much anyway. I could copy and paste this into nearly any vehicle fourm and it would still hold true.

The following users liked this post:
rjjj629 (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 07:31 AM
Vincewd
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

At the risk of not being politically correct in the eyes of all the "Kool Aid" drinkers here, I am thinking that the No. 1 reason that so many stators fail on newer bikes is that the MOCO buys the cheapest components that they can source in the hope that they will last 24 months before they croak. My bet would be that they have a supplier in China for stators but I don't know that for a fact, just a guess on my part.
LOL, I am amazed when I see people post about how screwed up Harley is and how the company is always screwing us by buying the cheapest china crap on the market and then keeps riding a Harley.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:09 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Probably #1 cause is heat, either from overloaded systems, corroded connections in the charging circuit causing high resistance, and not to forget one covered in bugs and road dirt and never washed off. That **** make a great insulator!
It would be a wise idea as part of normal maintenance to unplug connections clean the pins and put back together with dielectric grease, ESPECIALLY if one rides in the rain a lot or washes their bikes with a hose. I use never-seeze and a star washer on the frame ground points. 3 bikes and 150k all still had the original stator.

The following users liked this post:
Slick- (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 08:46 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,611 Likes on 1,617 Posts

oh yea ! you know they do !

Old 06-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

If you are having stators go out on a much too regular basis, even on your very nice large motor, there are obviously other contributors on your bike that need addressing. Electrically, look toward the regulator and the battery. Run a high quality synthetic fluid in the primary to handle the temps a primary case can see, especially on your 117. Ensure that your primary is "full" of fluid. Investing in the higher quality stator and regulator mentioned above may be the ticket.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:06 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,309 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Originally Posted by ORradtech
Heat and load added to any little flaw in the coating on the windings and you've got a fried stator.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Everything is made like crap today. A small hole in the insulation would allow oil to short the windings.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:34 AM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdawg
I replaced the original one about two years ago and the "new" one is needing to be replaced. I have 65k miles on the bike, it is an 09. I did upgrade to a 107 before the first replacement if that matters.

Thanks

Are you Running an aftermarket stereo or amps? What fluid are you running in the primary and how much?

Old 06-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank you

Thanks for all the good advice, I run Redline products, I will also be looking into if I have too much of a load. The battery is a Harley battery so I think that's good.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:12 AM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I just took my bike in for it's 50K maintenance, and my tech said my stator was frying - - primary oil apparently stunk like melted wires.

I'm kind of disappointed in the MoCo - - I've been very diligent with all maintenance since I bought the bike new, and I didn't expect the stator to go out so soon.

Quick Reply: What causes a stator to go bad?