Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flash or No Flash after speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 10:21 AM
simmadwn
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flash or No Flash after speaker upgrade

Friends,

I have a 2015 SG Special. I am looking to upgrade the front speakers to Hogtunes or Biketronics..just the speakers and no external amp...want to use the factory amp with them.

Do I need to flash or they will perform good without the flash? I understand harley has their speakers mapped to the processor inside.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:16 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

Your question might fetch the answers you seek if posed in the Audio Section in the Tech & Mechanical forum section

Old 06-03-2016, 12:40 PM
thealien
Road Captain
Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

You don't need a flash but you'll probably need an amp? Better speakers take more power.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,193 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by simmadwn
Friends, I have a 2015 SG Special. I am looking to upgrade the front speakers to Hogtunes or Biketronics..just the speakers and no external amp...want to use the factory amp with them. Do I need to flash or they will perform good without the flash? I understand harley has their speakers mapped to the processor inside.
If by "factory amp" you're referring to the boom stuff you're about to make a huge expensive mistake by pairing boom with aftermarket speakers.

If you're referring to no amp, don't bother upgrading just the speakers. Of course anything is better than stock, but good aftermarket speakers need power that the stock head unit doesn't have to drive them.

Go to the audio section. A bunch of great guys over there that will help you out. To answer your original question, stay away from the flash , the audio guys will explain.....

Old 06-03-2016, 03:40 PM
Kennyboy62
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flashed it's worth it.added the hog tunes rear lids and RF 300x2

Old 06-04-2016, 12:19 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

No flash needed for just speaker swap.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:24 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Remember good speakers need power, if you do not supply enough power to a good set of speakers then you are wasting your money, they will sound worse than a set of crappy spearkers with to much power.

Do your home work before changing/adding stuff....

As others have said, go to the audio section poke around and ask questions.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:43 AM
simmadwn
Advanced

thanks to all who chimed in.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Allen Riggs
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by simmadwn
Friends,

I have a 2015 SG Special. I am looking to upgrade the front speakers to Hogtunes or Biketronics..just the speakers and no external amp...want to use the factory amp with them.

Do I need to flash or they will perform good without the flash? I understand harley has their speakers mapped to the processor inside.

The stock speakers are 2 ohm. Any speaker that you use to replace should be 2 ohm or you will cut your power in half and thus lowering the total SPL you get out of them. (example: 25 watts @8 ohm/ 50 @ 4 ohm/ 100 @ 2 ohm.)

If you are only replacing the speakers then you do not need to do a flash. The reason you have to flash the bike when you add an amp (some brands) is to tell the head unit to reduce the voltage output to match the input of the amp. In the case of a stage 2 it also tells the head unit the cutoff frequencies for each channel.

Amp like the Rockford amp have adjustment pots on them so there is no need to flash. The Harman amp (known as HD boom) doest not have adjustments; therefore, flash is needed.

I just did my own stage 2 amp/speaker install and took it to the dealership to get flashed. The tech only did a firmware update because HE (not me) was mixed up. So make sure they hook your bike up to the computer and do a real flash. They covered the cost of repair.

Joker

Old 06-07-2016, 12:03 PM
simmadwn
Advanced

Thanks, Allen

Quick Reply: Flash or No Flash after speaker upgrade