Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remove wool padding on the baffles

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 08:23 AM
simmadwn
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default remove wool padding on the baffles

Guys - I have V&H High Output 4.5" Slip-ons...they are practically new, how do I get the wool padding off the baffles? I tried to remove the baffle but its held tight..I was hoping being new..they would slip right off

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Not a good idea, Unless you plan on repacking with something like Area 51 fiber. Think firecracker in an old style Ash Can.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:07 AM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

I have the same Slip-ons and removed the wool. On the V&H High Output 4.5" Slip-ons with the wool removed and baffle left in sounds great. I get compliments all the time on the deep sound it makes.

Has it hurt my performance no, did it effect my tune in any way, no. I can speak for myself and my bike it was worth it for me to do.

I went to harbor freight and bought a slide hammer, as well went to the hardware store and bought a threaded rod with the same thread as the slide lock. It's about 3 feet long, and two nut's for the end of the threaded rod for the slide hammer.

put the two nuts on the end of the rod tighten them down onto each other, then slide on the hammer, then one of the slide lock ends that have a 90 deg on them.

Remove the screws on the bottom, and slide the tool in about foot and a half. As you slide the hook in there sliding it on the bottom of the baffle. It will slide easy on the little holes until it gets to the flange on the inside. Once hooked a couple of slides and pop, no problem.

To make it easier on install of baffle use a Sharpie to mark the end cap and the screw hols on the bottom to align when you reinstall. I used a piece of 2x4 flat against the end cap and used a hammer to lightly knock it back in.

For me, there is no "firecracker" sound just a nice deep rumble. I would do it again no doubt. Good luck with your project.

Need any pics or something let me know.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:13 AM
simmadwn
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GriffinDenim13FLHX - thanks for the reply. Would you happen to have any pics of the threaded rod u used? Also, any pics of the process itself?

Old 06-02-2016, 09:22 AM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by simmadwn
GriffinDenim13FLHX - thanks for the reply. Would you happen to have any pics of the threaded rod u used? Also, any pics of the process itself?
I will take one and show you. As for the pics of the job no. It was a 2 to 3 beer job.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

if you want to try some experiments, start with the stock type mufflers you can get pretty much at no cost from any rider.

I'd leave the expensive ones as is until you've garnered some experience.

changing the exhaust tract in ways which will affect exhaust gas velocity is a detriment to performance.

what exactly will be the result is hard to predict, random mods give random effects- it many cases a wide open exhaust is great for making power above 5000 rpms- but will be a detriment at lower rpms

...we commonly see this in a 17 year olds honda 'tuner" with a 5 inch muffler which has to rev and rev to leave a stop sign

specific to this "project" the exhaust gasses will be able to move from the perforated baffle to the area which held the packing- so rather than a typical 1.75 or 2" diameter exhaust tract the exhaust tract may have an effective diameter of 3 or 4"...4 times larger- so the gasses can slow, eddy and even reverse direction- all of which adversely affect performance at most of the rpms in which we operate the motor.

you can;t fight physics, but as long as you don't incuur alot of cost or break something it is fun to experiment.

those of us with supertrapp tuneable exhausts can do this easiest as all it takes is the turn of a few screws to make quick changes and see results right away

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-02-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:15 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior

The above way will work no doubt. As for the power loss the baffle is still left in which is over a 1 foot so no power loss there. It will be easy for him to remove them this way.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:57 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 980 Posts

all this so you can be loud and obnoxious?

and before the 'it's my right' starts - look how close the industry came to an EPA ruling banning all 'competition only' parts from being manufactured - who's sure their state representatives aren't listening to anti-noise lobbyists right now?

Last edited by Joe12RK; 06-02-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:06 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 135 Likes on 126 Posts
Default remove wool padding on the baffles

When I removed the packing sock on the OS 450s I had I used a wooden dowel and tapped the baffle out from the header side. Came out really easy and didn't damage anything other than the wooden dowel.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-os-450-a.html

Last edited by matt76cmich; 06-02-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:21 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
all this so you can be loud and obnoxious?

and before the 'it's my right' starts - look how close the industry came to an EPA ruling banning all 'competition only' parts from being manufactured - who's sure their state representatives aren't listening to anti-noise lobbyists right now?
How dare he think he has the right to do what he wants like you have the right to say what you want. What is this world coming to?

Quick Reply: remove wool padding on the baffles