Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you get the primary cover off-floorbard

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:47 AM
reelmcoy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do you get the primary cover off-floorbard

I had to remove my floorboard to get the derby cover off. Just the one allen head holding it on.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm confused. My floorboard is not in the way of either the clutch cover or the inspection cover. Did they change something since mine was built in 2000?

Old 05-19-2007, 12:44 PM
texas tom
Tourer

It is in the way on my 07,it is just one allen head bolt under the floorboard if it has never been off before they are in tight believe they are around 35-40 foot lbs.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Ben U

I beleive he meant the derby cover from the beginning.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:30 PM
SMT
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Taterdog

I'm confused. My floorboard is not in the way of either the clutch cover or the inspection cover. Did they change something since mine was built in 2000?
Yes

Old 05-19-2007, 01:35 PM
SVFFB
Intermediate

I don't know if the torque for the derby cover screws are the same for my 07 Road King but here is thetorque if you need it. 84-108 in-lbs in a star shape pattern.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:42 PM
FLWanderer
Cruiser

I have a 2004 EGC and yes the pass footboard is in the way, but is not a big deal. You need to take the floorboard off, using the appropriate allen. Then you can remove the remaining screw that holds the primary inspection cover on. The screws are torqued to 50-70 in lbs; that equates to 4 - 6 ft lbs. When refilling the oil, level should be even with the bottom of the clutch opening or at the bottom of the clutch diaphrame spring. ( as per the manual ) The primary takes 32 ozs.

Hope this helps.....

Old 05-19-2007, 02:00 PM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Just fill it through the front cover if you cant get the derby off. Use the proper amount & pour it in. The only time you ever have to take the Derby off is if you have to do a clutch adj. You have to take the primary chain cover off anyway to check adjustment anyway, so just fill it there.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:08 PM
db2753
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And if you get the cover off and see the gasket, the one and only time I did this with the floorboard off, I did replace the gasket but have read some of these folks use the same gasket. So don't freak out and run and get a new gasket if you don't have the time. Replace it if it starts leaking.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:19 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

OK Gang, time for a "primer" on the FREAKIN PRIMARY COVER!". First, the whole cover itself is called the "Primary Cover"(weird huh?), the large ROUND cover is called the "Clutch Cover", or "Clutch Inspection Cover". The odd shaped cover in the middle is called the "Inspection cover" or "Primary Chain Adjustment Cover". The proper way to change the primary fluid is to take the bike out and ride it till it's warm, park it on the kick stand, open the drain plug and drain it. Then get the bike level on a piece of wood or on a lift and fill it. Now the choice of how to fill it has to be made. the manual says you should take both covers of the primary cover and use the center opening to fill, and the clutch cover opening to check the level. Me I never open the middle cover unless I fell I need to check slack in the primary chain, I just use a small enough funnel to fill it through the clutch cover....sheesh

Quick Reply: How do you get the primary cover off-floorbard