Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove a fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Rhinohd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I remove a fairing?

So how do I go about removing the fairing on my street glide? I just need to remove the front to install the garage door opener module. Do I just have to remove the light assembly and take the screws out from the driver side or am I missing something? Thanks!

Old 09-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: How do I remove a fairing?

First of all you need to get an owner's manual from Harley so you can be sure you are doing things correctly. They have alot of good info.

Remove your windshield first. Make sure your running lights don't interfere with removal (On old batwing fairings you had to remove running lights). Reomve outer headlight assembly. Remove all torques head screws from inner fairing.

Have someone help you so you don't drop the fairing and make sure to cover you front fender so you don't drop anything on it.

Terry

Old 09-30-2005, 05:47 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior

Unless something has changed on the '06 model bikes... remove the 3 screws across the top of the fairing that hold the windshield in place and remove the windshield. Now, from the other side facing the front, remove the 2 screws (1 on each side) near the hand controls. Next, turn the handlebars all the way left and from the right side of the bike, remove the screw holding the lower end of the fairing. This screw is next to the frame neck. Now, turn the front end fully to the right and remove the other screw on the left. Pull the fairing away from the bike just a little so you can reach in and unplug the headlight. Now lift the fairing up and away from the bike. The headlight is part of the fairing...

Now, when you go to re-install the screws, be careful. They are easy to crossthread and even easier to strip out the brass inserts that hold the windshield on... USE A TORQUE WRENCH.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:57 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks Phil,

Just trying to wing it from work here. That's why I always refer to the owner's manual.

Terry

Old 09-30-2005, 07:27 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Rhino,

This may be a little different than the other suggestions but it works well on a Street Glide since they have no light bar and since I am usually working alone. I remove the headlight ring and headlight, then I remove the two lower screws (turn all the way to the left and then all the way right like Phil suggested), then I remove the two screws at the edges of the batwing. Then, with the headlight gone I can place a hand in the opening to support the fairing as I remove the 3 remaining screws for the windshield. When the last screw is out, I just pull the fairing away. Good luck!!!

Solo

p.s. Any luck with the rattles?

Old 09-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, when you go to re-install the screws, be careful. They are easy to crossthread and even easier to strip out the brass inserts that hold the windshield on... USE A TORQUE WRENCH.
Excellent advice!!!! Otherwise you will be using JB Weld like me!

Old 09-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Kess

Excellent advice!!!! Otherwise you will be using JB Weld like me!
...and me.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:11 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

You do NOT need to remove the headlight... I first remove the three screws holding the windshield... once the shield is off, I put the center screw back in (not tight, just to hold the weitht) next I remove the screws on each side (inside faring that holds the out side faring - easy to see,,, the hardest is the one inside at the very bottom - as stated, get the service manual to point these out) after all that, I hold the outside fairing at the headlight and remove the middle windshield screw... now it is loose - reach behind the faring and unplug the headlight... I have had mine off MANY times. very easy to do, once you get the steps down... I remove the inner faring and had it painted gloss black (now that removal is Another story) But it looks Cool.... You should have seen the wife... When I remove the inner faring, I decided to remove the front lowers and get them chromed at the same time... Her comments were - I hope to Hell you know how to put that back together - Actually, it is not all that bad - get the service manual and follow the directions... and take your time... and hope you don't have a can of (real important looking bolts left over - LOL)

Old 09-30-2005, 11:47 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

when you get done your gonna say damn that was easy!!! what did i need them for!!

Old 10-01-2005, 03:45 AM
Rhinohd
Road Captain

Thanks for all the help folks! The instructions for the Garage door module does in fact say to remove the headlight then to see the service manual for fairing removal instructions... LOL

Quick Reply: How do I remove a fairing?