Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zippers Perf Parts - Crossover Pop-Stopper

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:55 AM
serverpimp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zippers Perf Parts - Crossover Pop-Stopper

Picked up my V&H Oval slip-ons tonight and the parts guy made some suggestions. This guy has been pretty good in past scenarios so I have a bit of trust developed in what he has to say.

He told me that a large percentage of the exhaust comes from the right side (when sitting on the bike) The rear cylinder with the stock exhaust can go either way but tends to go to the right. He said it's about 75% down the right side. He said he had even heard of guys welding a piece in the y pipe right after the rear cyclinder to force the exhaust down the right side. Essentially a 2 into 1 set up.

He showed me a "pop-stopper" from http://www.zippersperformance.com/default.asp Zipper Performance Products. Not much too it. Think of it as alarge beer bottle cap with a hole in the top center almost big enough to stick your pinky finger in. I couldn't find the product on their site. Here is the information on the product packaging:

Part # 272-205 FL Crossover Pop-Stopper "Reduces inbound fresh air reversion which causes excessive decel backfiring. Remove left muffler, install in headpipe at muffler joint."

The idea is to force even more exhaust (90/10) down the right side. I believe the one I have is going to be too small of a diameter.

Questions:
His statements about 75% down the right side accurate? He said you can tell the difference just feeling the exhaust with your hand out of both.

Anyone here of Zipper Performance Parts? How about the Pop-Stopper?

Anyone doing something similar?

Old 05-19-2007, 07:04 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Zippers Perf Parts - Crossover Pop-Stopper

There are a couple of kits on ebay that I have seen. Most people, from what I have read, use the plug to block the y pipe going into the right rear side. Giving the exhaust a true dual type set up. That way the rear head goes out the left side, and not the right. I guess it could be used the other way. You are right, it isn't expensive to do. But IMO, if you want a 2-1 exhaust, buy one of them. If you want a true dual go with one of those. Full sac offers a very reasonable set up for true duals. IMO, touring bikes look much better with both exhaust coming out on two sides. The bike doesn't look EVEN with them coming out on just the right. Again, JMO. But, for performance, everyone agrees that the 2-1 is the way to go. Figure if I ever go that route, I would still keep a dummy pipe on the left to balance things out. I would be interested in knowing how well the plug will work as a 2-1 type exhaust. And 75% going through the right pipe sounds correct to me. You can definatley feel the difference when holding a hand to the two pipes. Let us know what you decide to do.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:49 AM
serverpimp
Cruiser

Thanks PapaTravis for the feedback. I agree with you about the two pipes giving balance to a bagger. I would never go with one even if I had to take your approach and hang a dummy one. I'm concerned that I am so wrong on the right vs. left. Just to true-up with you..... I consider the right side the air cleaner side. The left side is the horn side. Are we still opposite or are we talking the same side?

The conversation with the parts guy was never about true duals until the very end so he wasn't attempting to take a poor man's approach. Just the fact that I was taking delivery of the Oval slip ons was enough for him to bring up the pop-stopper as a possible improvement to any kind of decel popping.

I did ask at the end of our conversation about the true duals and his opionion was that unless I was doing engine work, such as 103, 110 (I might have the numbers wrong) to not worry about the true duals. It appeared he said this in an attempt to save money which is counter to a parts guy trying to push parts on you. Several things have come up over the months that has raised his credibility with me where I was looking to buy something and he stopped me for a different or no purchase (usually cheaper).

Old 05-19-2007, 08:13 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

103 and 110 are correct numbers, but there are a bunch more possible inch numbers. Depending on where you are starting from. And yes, the right side is the air cleaner side and the left is the horn side. Whenever you hear right or left, this is always the case. The only real problem with true duals that I have ever heard of is that you will loose some performance with them. But most say it is hardly noticable. That is probally why he mentioned going with a larger displacement. So you wont notice it as much, I assume. For me, I really like the look of true duals. That cross over pipe, although very functional and effective, seems to distract, or add to much clutter,from the right side of the bike. Again, if you go true dual, look at full sac. Do a search on here and you will see many pictures and comments. Let me know if there is anything I can assist you with. I am, in no way, a guru. But I spend a lot of hours on this forum, learning as much as I can, and would be happy to pass along to you anything thatI have heard, or any mods I have done myself. Ride safe.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting idea on the pop-stopper.
Sounds like it would work if you had a decell pop problem.
The majority of the exhaust does go down the cross over pipe for the rear cylinder.
You will feel the difference at idle when you're behind the bike with your hands.
You may just want to see if you have a decell pop before going with such a device.
It would definitely behave more as a 2 into 1 system with the device.
The only problem that I would see is that with the stock system , the cross over exhaust path looks to be a bit shorter than the front cylinder path.
Maybe the stock setup equals out the length difference as well as adding some torque.
The stock pipe set gives you most of the benefits of a 2 into 1 system , and the balanced look of the 2 into 2 system.
Maybe try it without the pop-stopper first , then go with it if you need it.
To me the stock setup just sounded unbalanced with after market mufflers , that's why many go to the true duals , and also the look with out the cross over pipe.
Mick

Old 05-19-2007, 07:19 PM
serverpimp
Cruiser

I stopped by another dealership out on a ride with a few folks today. A riding buddy called over a parts guy that he knows and trusts and quizzed him on the pop-stopper.He had never heard of the product but thought the theory was sound.

I think I'm going to go without it initially and see if I have any decel popping. I will let you all know if I end up installing it.