Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I like to do my own service when possible

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016 | 04:36 PM
CarrollB
|
Tourer
Default Why I like to do my own service when possible

I am always leery when someone besides myself works on my bike. I don't have formal training, but with the service manual, and the internet you can learn how to do basic maintenance. My bike has only been serviced once at the 1K mile checkup by a local indy, and two times by the dealer I bought it from. Once by the dealer when I was rear-ended, and once for the rear brake light switch recall. Since the bike is seven years old I figured it was past time to flush the brakes. The brake fluid looked clean. Upon opening the front master cylinder, the fluid level was down by about 20%. I figured this is normal after 25,000 miles. When I opened the rear master cylinder, the fluid was down by 80%. Since the front master cylinder is feeding two brake calibers and the rear only one, I can only assume that when the rear brake light switch recall was done the rear brake was never bled, or if it was bled, they never re-filled the rear master cylinder.

Old 05-24-2016 | 04:47 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member

If you have the manual and correct tools shouldn't be any problem servicing your own ride. I'm definitely not a certified HD mechanic but I can do my own services. I just flushed the front and rear brake fluid. Neither was low but the fluid was a golden honey color. I probably should have done it sooner since the manual recommends every 2 years. I enjoy working on my own ride.

Old 05-24-2016 | 05:03 PM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member

I'm always scared to death I'll screw something up. Or turn a two hour job into an all day job. I did manage to install dress duals on my bike last weekend on my own, so I was happy about that. I don't know the first thing about engines and brakes and so on.

Old 05-24-2016 | 05:15 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer

Drove this Road King off the lot with 1.6 miles on it. Its never been back...

Last edited by Rat Trap; 05-28-2016 at 11:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
markfsanderson (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016 | 06:57 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member

My brake lamp quit working with the front brake, bike was under warranty, I replaced the defective switch myself. I carry my wheels in for new tires but thats it.

Old 05-24-2016 | 07:00 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

The fluid level goes down with brake pad wear.

Old 05-24-2016 | 07:16 PM
BigUglyMan
Tourer

I bought an Evo specifically so I could do the work myself. The newer bikes have too much electric...that stuff gives me the heebiejeebies.

Old 05-24-2016 | 07:25 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by CarrollB
I am always leery when someone besides myself works on my bike. I don't have formal training, but with the service manual, and the internet you can learn how to do basic maintenance. My bike has only been serviced once at the 1K mile checkup by a local indy, and two times by the dealer I bought it from. Once by the dealer when I was rear-ended, and once for the rear brake light switch recall. Since the bike is seven years old I figured it was past time to flush the brakes. The brake fluid looked clean. Upon opening the front master cylinder, the fluid level was down by about 20%. I figured this is normal after 25,000 miles. When I opened the rear master cylinder, the fluid was down by 80%. Since the front master cylinder is feeding two brake calibers and the rear only one, I can only assume that when the rear brake light switch recall was done the rear brake was never bled, or if it was bled, they never re-filled the rear master cylinder.
Preachin' to the choir my brother, preachin' to the choir.

The following users liked this post:
tew3006 (05-28-2016)
Old 05-24-2016 | 07:27 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rat Trap
This drove this Road King off the lot with 1.6 miles on it. Its never been back...

Old 05-24-2016 | 07:33 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

I work on all of my vehicles, cars, trucks, boats, lawnmowers, motorcycles it doesnt matter. I started as a kid because there wasn't any money to have someone else do it.
I do it now for several reasons. Money is still high on the list, trust is right up there too. Another reason is tools, if I need it once then I'll either need it again or someone I know will and I simply like tools. And finally there's the fact that I just enjoy working on my stuff. I get a very pleasant sense of satisfaction, accomplishment and pride in doing the work.
As far as warranty work goes, I will let them do that. One way or another I paid for that warranty and by God I will not let them make more profit on me by not making them fix something that is covered. I just don't go blindly I to a dealer. I almost always know what is wrong and how to fix it and I do follow up after the work is done to be sure it was done properly.

Quick Reply: Why I like to do my own service when possible