Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I like to do my own service when possible

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016 | 08:05 PM
Don81
Road Captain

I'm calling BS on this one.

The maintenance interval for brake system inspection is 5,000 miles (Page 138 of the owner's manual). The manuals clearly state that brake fluid level should be checked between service intervals too (Page 84 of the same manual).

You went 25,000 miles without looking, finally looked, and you want to point the finger at someone else to blame. Forget the service manual, this is stuff in the manual that comes free with the bike.

You don't do your own service or the service that you do is half-***, or you would have noticed the level being off somewhere less than 5,000 miles after the recall was done.

It's the same old song but not the one you wanted to sing about poor dealer service, the real song is just another person not taking individual responsibility.

Last edited by Don81; 05-24-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2016 | 08:21 PM
jdw1
Road Captain

I'm thinking that your brakes are getting thinner and that's why your brake fluid is low! Check you rear brake pad thickness. Jmo.

Old 05-28-2016 | 10:11 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain

Brake fluid should never have to be topped off unless you are leaking somewhere. As your pads wear the fluid moves from the master cylinder reservoir to the calipers. When pads are thin fluid will fall in the master cylinder reservoir. When pads are replaced you push it back upstream to the reservoir.

That said, it is a good idea to check the level. The sight glass will give you a good read on your level.

OP, I expect your rear pads are close to needing replacing.

Old 05-28-2016 | 12:47 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by CarrollB
I am always leery when someone besides myself works on my bike. I don't have formal training, but with the service manual, and the internet you can learn how to do basic maintenance. My bike has only been serviced once at the 1K mile checkup by a local indy, and two times by the dealer I bought it from. Once by the dealer when I was rear-ended, and once for the rear brake light switch recall. Since the bike is seven years old I figured it was past time to flush the brakes. The brake fluid looked clean. Upon opening the front master cylinder, the fluid level was down by about 20%. I figured this is normal after 25,000 miles. When I opened the rear master cylinder, the fluid was down by 80%. Since the front master cylinder is feeding two brake calibers and the rear only one, I can only assume that when the rear brake light switch recall was done the rear brake was never bled, or if it was bled, they never re-filled the rear master cylinder.
Sounds to me like you're not keeping up with a good maintenance routine.