Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Line Routing for Ape Install- '15 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:09 PM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master
Received 511 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Clutch Line Routing for Ape Install- '15 FLHTK

I've been told that quite a bit of length can be freed up on the clutch cable with a little re-routing. I'm about to dive into a handlebar install (Wild 1 14" Reapers) and was wondering if it was doable without it being too tight. I think these bars call for a +8 clutch line which seems like a lot to get out of the stock item.

I put 14's on my '10 FLHTCU and I didn't see any way to make the stocker reach however, I've seen a few on the forums claim that it can be done easily but haven't seen any posts by people who have actually done it.

These bars were a birthday surprise by my wife and I will at some point in the next couple months add a +8 however my question is inspired by a want to get this bad boy on the road for now. Comments like "Just get a new cable" aren't helpful...

Thanks in advance crew!

Old 05-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

If you reroute the clutch cable outside the fairing, it frees up a lot of slack. In other words, run it as if your bike was a Road King, directly from the handlebars to the frame downtube. Doesn't look finished, but will get your bike on the road until you can do it right. I don't know if it will allow for 14" bars, but you can always try it and see.

I usually advise do it right the first time, and do it once, but like most folks, I've also had to do half-steps at times just to stay on the road. If at all possible, though, you'll save time if you just bite the bullet and get the correct clutch cable, brake line, and wiring extensions so you won't have to do it again.

Last edited by Mike; 05-19-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:39 PM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master

Thank you Mike....I'd be ok running it like that for a month or two until I can get the proper cable. I already have the can bus extensions and am going to solder extensions onto the TBW if necessary. I meant to put this post in the Rushmore section but guess I spaced it. Thanks again....that is one awesome scoot by the way!

Old 05-19-2016, 08:35 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

I doubt you will need to extend TBW wiring. Although the plug n play extension was pre-purchased for the 14" bar change on the '16, I found there to be quite a bit of slack ziptied behind the bar clamp/risers for just such an occasion.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:56 PM
BatOuttaHell
Road Master

Originally Posted by dawg
I doubt you will need to extend TBW wiring. Although the plug n play extension was pre-purchased for the 14" bar change on the '16, I found there to be quite a bit of slack ziptied behind the bar clamp/risers for just such an occasion.
Thanks boss....I've heard that about the TBW but am prepared if it comes up short. What about the clutch line....did you see enough to stretch an extra 8" if re-routed? The way Mike explained it I can almost picture it.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:59 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Outside the fairing would work. I didn't see enough slack in the clutch cable where I would feel comfortable leaving it inside the fairing, but that's just me.

Last edited by dawg; 05-19-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:17 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Do these '15's have clutch CABLES or clutch HOSES? There is a huge difference but few people on this forum seem to know the difference. The hose may or may not be able to work on taller bars but I doubt very much a cable would.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:20 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Do these '15's have clutch CABLES or clutch HOSES? There is a huge difference but few people on this forum seem to know the difference. The hose may or may not be able to work on taller bars but I doubt very much a cable would.
They're hoses or lines, as it is for hydraulic clutches with brake fluid. Just old hat to refer to it as a clutch cable, but good point.