Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadking with 16" Apes, Fairing Search?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 06:28 PM
Roadking00
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Roadking with 16" Apes, Fairing Search?

Been looking at many different fairing options to go with, anyone have any pics or experience with 16" bars that are pushed forward 2" or so from the aligned position with the front legs like most I've been seeing out there? Looking for maybe an adjustable detachable mount type that will give me some play with my bars, I don't really wanna run the bars inline with the front end at all but seems like with all the standard applications that's the only choice. Or I may just have to use my existing windshield brackets and come up with a custom add-on bracket to it that will enable me to push it forward a tad to give me the clearance ?

Any suggestions are appreciated...

Attached Thumbnails Roadking with 16" Apes, Fairing Search?-side-1.jpg   Roadking with 16" Apes, Fairing Search?-side-3.jpg  
Old 05-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Most aftermarket batwing fairings are already rolled forward a little bit, compared to the OEM batwing. That's so your bars won't hit the inner fairing (even when your bars are inline with the fork tubes). Push the bars forward, and you'd need to roll the fairing further forward, which won't look right.

That's why OEM batwing bikes have bars that are bent at the bottom.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:17 PM
Roadking00
Novice

Originally Posted by Mike
Most aftermarket batwing fairings are already rolled forward a little bit, compared to the OEM batwing. That's so your bars won't hit the inner fairing (even when your bars are inline with the fork tubes). Push the bars forward, and you'd need to roll the fairing further forward, which won't look right.

That's why OEM batwing bikes have bars that are bent at the bottom.
Thanks for the reply so quick Mike, I've noticed all the standard bikes with OEM fairings going with the offset apes but thought it was more of an issue with the stock fairings due to them being integrated so close to the bars/controls from the factory and most if not all the bars come right up out of the fairing itself from the risors ?

Figured the aftermarket would have some wiggle room , and some more then others ?? My stock windshield is just about able to fully latch in without hitting the bars but maybe an inch shy.....

A friend of mine used a memphis shade fairing (shell only) on his RK and it came with an adjustable mounting bracket that he was able to push the fairing forward/back and up/down a good inch or 2, just not available that I know of with cut-outs for radio/speakers.....

Old 05-17-2016, 09:12 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a Wide Open quick detach fairing on mine. I just installed a set of bagger bars with the two inch set back. I had to remove the quick detach rubbers and install a set of two inch fender type washers. Then I could roll the fairing forward enough so the bars were straight up and still be able to tighten the fairing in place. It is not quick detach any more but I could have it off in less than ten min. The one set back with the Wide Open fairing (for me any ways) is the fact that you can only fit 5.25"speakers in it.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:02 AM
Roadking00
Novice

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
I have a Wide Open quick detach fairing on mine. I just installed a set of bagger bars with the two inch set back. I had to remove the quick detach rubbers and install a set of two inch fender type washers. Then I could roll the fairing forward enough so the bars were straight up and still be able to tighten the fairing in place. It is not quick detach any more but I could have it off in less than ten min. The one set back with the Wide Open fairing (for me any ways) is the fact that you can only fit 5.25"speakers in it.
Yeah that's what it looks like I'll have to do, use my existing mounts from my windshield but add an adaptor bracket of some sort (make one) to allow me to swing it forward if needed...

Old 05-18-2016, 06:11 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,289 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadking00
Been looking at many different fairing options to go with, anyone have any pics or experience with 16" bars that are pushed forward 2" or so from the aligned position with the front legs like most I've been seeing out there? Looking for maybe an adjustable detachable mount type that will give me some play with my bars, I don't really wanna run the bars inline with the front end at all but seems like with all the standard applications that's the only choice. Or I may just have to use my existing windshield brackets and come up with a custom add-on bracket to it that will enable me to push it forward a tad to give me the clearance ?

Any suggestions are appreciated...
I'm guessing (?) thats why they make bars w/ that extra bend in them? like the pic

I had 18" psycho chubbies on my old FLSTF....traded it in at 100k, doubt I'll ever go back to apes on a primary ride.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:52 AM
Roadking00
Novice

Originally Posted by F150HD
I'm guessing (?) thats why they make bars w/ that extra bend in them? like the pic

I had 18" psycho chubbies on my old FLSTF....traded it in at 100k, doubt I'll ever go back to apes on a primary ride.
Yeah, mainly for stock fairing bikes that wanna go with apes....when ya have a RK or other non fairing bike with standard apes and wanna add a fairing these are the bumps in the road ya gotta handle, not a big deal but never the less still something to get past....

Old 05-18-2016, 09:17 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadking00
Yeah that's what it looks like I'll have to do, use my existing mounts from my windshield but add an adaptor bracket of some sort (make one) to allow me to swing it forward if needed...
I used 2" chrome fender washers with big rubber washers in between in place of the quick mount brackets for the removable shield. It changed the angle of the fairing enough to stand up my bars and also made it so the wind goes up and over me instead of witting me in the face. As far as quick detach I can still have my fairing of in ten minuets.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:16 AM
patriot2500
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've got a Woody's fairing on my King with 16" Wild One apes. I had the bars installed before hand and didn't move them at all when I installed the fairing. Definitely contact Glenn and talk to him about your options. I am super happy with the product and it was well worth the money.

The following users liked this post:
Roadking00 (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 06:20 PM
Roadking00
Novice

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
I used 2" chrome fender washers with big rubber washers in between in place of the quick mount brackets for the removable shield. It changed the angle of the fairing enough to stand up my bars and also made it so the wind goes up and over me instead of witting me in the face. As far as quick detach I can still have my fairing of in ten minuets.
Thanks for the info, would ya be able to upload a couple shots of yours(from the side profile maybe?) when ya had some time ?, What size windshield did ya go with ?

Quick Reply: Roadking with 16" Apes, Fairing Search?