Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads up on RTV silicone for plugging air cleaner back plates

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 02:07 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Heads up on RTV silicone for plugging air cleaner back plates

I modified my Screamin Eagle air cleaner back plate for the DK external breather kit. I filled the holes that exit into the throttle body with Permatex RTV silicone, as has been discussed here on numerous threads. I set the back plate on the bench for 7 days to let it cure. The spec sheet on this Permatex RTV silicone stated that it took 24 hours to set up and 7 days to fully cure. It also stated that it had a continuous maximum temperature of 400 degrees and an intermittent maximum temp of 500 degrees. I just picked up the back plate this afternoon and was able to push the silicone plug out of the holes with minimum force, and it came out like it was coming out of the tube. The first 1/8" was solid, the rest was gooey. This air cleaner back plate was brand new, so there was no oily residue whatsoever. I don't know if riding the bike and heat cycling the back plate would have made a difference, but if the Permatex looked like that after 7 days, I wouldn't be comfortable putting any miles on the bike just wondering when that **** was going to break free and get sucked into the engine. I filled the holes with the Permatex until it exited the breather bolt hole, and then left a bubble to make sure it didn't get sucked out. So to ease my worry about this mod, I trashed the back plate and ordered DK's Arlen Ness external breather air cleaner. At least they weld the holes closed on that back plate. Bad batch of silicone? Maybe, but unless any of you that have used the Permatex for this mod have actually tried to poke it out, you might have the very same issue. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Dan

Old 05-10-2016, 02:37 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

theres no way i was going to use permatex there. used a fuel line hose and worked it with a razer blade to plug the hole and ancker around the breather bolt. still thinking about jb weld or another idea

Old 05-10-2016, 02:46 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 562 Posts

Used JB weld on mine. Looked the same when I took it off after 2 years to trade in bike as the day I put it on. Rock solid.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:50 PM
DXHD $100
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I drilled and tapped mine and used Set Screws then topped with a small amount of RTV to keep Screws secure.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:52 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Used RTV on mine 6 years ago, its still there. But I didn't fill the hole(s). Squirted in one side a bit and then squirted a bit in the other side of the hole. Maybe thats why yours didn't cure, no air can get to the middle.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:09 PM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Used RTV on mine 6 years ago, its still there. But I didn't fill the hole(s). Squirted in one side a bit and then squirted a bit in the other side of the hole. Maybe thats why yours didn't cure, no air can get to the middle.
You are no doubt correct, using this silicone to fill a small 1" passageway is not the way to go.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:42 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Threaded mine, set screws and red Loctite.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:57 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Duct Tape on the outside, then RTV over the outside of the duct tape.
I like the thicker duct tape, that has the backing on it you peel off.
200 MPH stuff.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:38 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

My rtv has been good for 3 years

Old 05-10-2016, 07:02 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Another drill, tap, set screw with red loctite user here.

Quick Reply: Heads up on RTV silicone for plugging air cleaner back plates