Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Road King Classic Susspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 04:39 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Default 2010 Road King Classic Susspension

I've never been happy with the suspension on my RKC. It's almost criminal that HD doesn't do anything to improve the suspension on their bikes.

I'm getting ready to replace the fork oil in my bike. Not sure what weight is best, but I'll probably start with Bel-Ray 15W. It's a pain to service the forks on a Road King as the head lamp nacelle and fork covers need to be removed to access them.

I'm considering replacing the fork springs while I have it apart. Any feedback on Progressive (or similar ) fork springs on a touring bike? I've used them before on Dyna's and Softails with good results, but it's been a while.

I'm planning on replacing the oil in the stock air shocks too. From everything I've read 7-7.5W seems to be the way to go...some have used 10W with varying results.

I'm not ready to go with Progressive Monotubes yet, but if I can't improve the suspension with the simpler methods, I'll probably end up doing them.

So how about some feedback on Fork springs and oils both front and rear. I'm sure a lot of others aren't happy with their stock suspension.

I've never been happy with mine...but after riding a buddy's Indian Chieftain, with much better suspension, I need to make some changes and I'm not ready to give up my HD's yet.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:53 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

For ~$250 total - spring kit, seals, oil... Install Race Tech springs and gold valves. I did a detailed write up last year. The transformation was impressive, especially for the price. You can decide the spring rate depending on your weight, not a one size fits all. Same with damping characteristics. I test road Indians last week at a demo day. The Road Master had a decent front suspension feel, although we never hit rough roads. The other bikes, including the Chieftain, did not compare to my setup.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I agree whole-heartedly that H-D suspension is in dire need of improvement, by the MoCo. However what you are proposing is, to be blunt, tinkering round the edges. Changing springs is spending money that could otherwise be usefully spent on something even better. The reason why we get varying results with changing oils is that the variation in characteristics of fork oils is so great. There is a thread somewhere around HDF about them. You could be chasing your tail for decades, looking for the perfect fork oil!

Far better IMHO to decide just what you would like to achieve, make a plan and get yourself a serious upgrade. Spend once! Do you ride solo or two up?

Old 05-09-2016, 07:38 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grbrown
I agree whole-heartedly that H-D suspension is in dire need of improvement, by the MoCo. However what you are proposing is, to be blunt, tinkering round the edges. Changing springs is spending money that could otherwise be usefully spent on something even better. The reason why we get varying results with changing oils is that the variation in characteristics of fork oils is so great. There is a thread somewhere around HDF about them. You could be chasing your tail for decades, looking for the perfect fork oil!

Far better IMHO to decide just what you would like to achieve, make a plan and get yourself a serious upgrade. Spend once! Do you ride solo or two up?
I ride mostly solo...sometimes two up.

I agree that there is wide variation in fork oils. Oil weights aren't accurate enough. I'm trying to compare Viscosity and Viscosity Index as my research indicates it's much more relevant in terms of suspension. Different manufacturers weight ratings vary wildly with their viscosity.

I think most people changing shock oil just go with the lightest weight locally available (usually fork oil)...so results are all over the map.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by nhrider1
...so results are all over the map.
Hence my comment about the risk of chasing your tail! Having owned Harleys for many years I despair of improving the stock suspension, as any improvement is hit and miss.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:41 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

The question is, how much do you weigh?

1up or 2up, it does not matter for front suspension. Riders weight with gear does. Even spring rate calculators and spring vendors do not ask what the passenger weighs.

I installed heavier fork oil in the softail. It made a minor improvement. Installed Ricors valves next, and that was a definite improvement. On the 2011 RK, installed race tech which is so good, I have no desire to change it.

The following users liked this post:
nhrider1 (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 04:04 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by KumaRide
The question is, how much do you weigh?

1up or 2up, it does not matter for front suspension. Riders weight with gear does. Even spring rate calculators and spring vendors do not ask what the passenger weighs.

I installed heavier fork oil in the softail. It made a minor improvement. Installed Ricors valves next, and that was a definite improvement. On the 2011 RK, installed race tech which is so good, I have no desire to change it.
Thanks for the info...I'll look into Race Tech.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I put the Screamin' Eagle fluid in mine when I put chrome lowers on and it's much stiffer, like night and day. I can't get the bike to dive noticably if I try. Some guys have used a 50/50 blend of stock oil with SE oil and said it works nicely. Next change I might try that.