Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Facia Tri-Bar LED make it a Run/Brake LED

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016 | 09:54 PM
KumaRide
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Facia Tri-Bar LED make it a Run/Brake LED

I found several forums posting simple circuits to make a run/brake setup and decided to try this with the facia tri-bar led I installed on my Road King.

The simple circuit consists of two diodes and a resistor, costs less then $3, and works very well. And the small circuit fits easily in the tail light housing.

Parts:

2 - 1 amp Schottky Diodes - $2 (You must use Shottky diodes as the Vf, voltage drop, is a lot less then typical diodes. Otherwise, the tribar led at max brightness will be dimmed)
1 - 33ohm Resistor - $1.19 (two pack. I used a 33ohm 10 watt. You can try different ohm resistors to control running light brightness which in turn creates the contrast from run to brake)

Attached is a diagram from another site. Their are many on motorcycle and auto forums. But, they did not use the Schottkys. Trust me, you will want to. Also, ignore the resistor value. Depending on the diodes used and voltage drop, I'd say any resistor from ~25-45 ohms should work. But, try different ones to see what you prefer. The Schottkys I used had .33 voltage drop. The tribar led only draws about 100ma at 12v. When I made the circuit I put the resistor on the anode side, positive side, of the diode and used spade connectors to connect to the run and brake wires on the tail light.

I bought a 20 pack of diodes for $2.50 (Vishay). The 20 diodes will be used for other run/brake circuits such as tour pack leds and creating more contrast for Custom Dynamics led turns. And since the diodes are so inexpensive, I am pairing up all diodes in parallel for redundancy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272134450282...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Lastly, you can buy similar circuits but they are designed for specific led requirements and you may not get the desired results. And besides, its kind of a kick to play with electronics

Attached Thumbnails Facia Tri-Bar LED make it a Run/Brake LED-dual_circuit_element.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by KumaRide:
Billman812 (08-17-2016), crazytown (05-08-2016), Drair (05-08-2016), GriffinDenim13FLHX (05-08-2016)
Old 05-07-2016 | 10:23 PM
cncmike
Road Master

Or you could buy one of these that has led's for the taillight, brake lights and turn signals. Just splice it into the stock wiring at the rear, no other parts needed. It cost me $35.00 with the shipping and has worked great for the last year.

http://www.t-motorsports.com/smoke-t...rley-davidson/

Old 05-08-2016 | 09:01 AM
KumaRide
|
Elite HDF Member

Yes, have seen those. Lots of options. The HD tribar lighting looks nice as the individual leds are not obvious and it has a glowing, albeit very bright, look to it.

Update:

I have been pm'ed asking for pics and more detail. I did not take any but the attached pics should help understand how it is wired. The resistor I used was 10 watts so it is larger then the one in the pics. The wire labeled "donuts" goes to the positive tribar wire. The tail lamp brake wire is red, and running light is blue. Tap into those with wire taps or solder, whichever you prefer. The tri-bar light power is directional so positive and negative do matter, unlike a typical bulb. If you are not sure which is positive, no problem, you wont hurt the tribar. Just switch the tribar wires if the tribar does not come on the first time. I dont remember the tribar wiring code, I think the positive had a stripe.

Update 2:

Added a couple pics. Run only, then with brakes applied. Nothing crazy, but a fun $3 mod making all lights go bright when brakes applied..

Attached Thumbnails Facia Tri-Bar LED make it a Run/Brake LED-run-brake1.jpg   Facia Tri-Bar LED make it a Run/Brake LED-run-brake2.jpg   Facia Tri-Bar LED make it a Run/Brake LED-run-brake_complete.jpg   Facia Tri-Bar LED make it a Run/Brake LED-tri1.jpg   Facia Tri-Bar LED make it a Run/Brake LED-tri2.jpg  

Last edited by KumaRide; 05-08-2016 at 09:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KumaRide:
crazytown (05-08-2016), GriffinDenim13FLHX (05-08-2016)
Old 05-08-2016 | 10:49 AM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior

Thanks for posting those pics. Helps to get an idea of what you mean. I am very interested in doing this and I am going to have to make sure I get all the correct parts. Thanks for taking the time to post this mod.

Old 05-08-2016 | 03:46 PM
crazytown
Road Master
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by cncmike
Or you could buy one of these that has led's for the taillight, brake lights and turn signals. Just splice it into the stock wiring at the rear, no other parts needed. It cost me $35.00 with the shipping and has worked great for the last year.
......or you could make one for $3.

Thanks to the OP for the very nice explanation and diagrams. This is something even my disaster prone DIY butt might try out.

Old 05-08-2016 | 09:09 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior

Very cool mod compared to the 100+ dollars they want at the dealer to do the same thing.
Thanks for sharing the mod.

Old 05-08-2016 | 09:13 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Kuma,

Which part number is your tri-bar?

I was just about to order the Custom Dynamics one, but I've read mixed reviews...

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2016 | 09:30 PM
KumaRide
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GriffinDenim13FLHX
Very cool mod compared to the 100+ dollars they want at the dealer to do the same thing.
Thanks for sharing the mod.
I also used the diodes to create more contrast with custom dynamics led clusters. The cd leds blend in better now with the other leds in run mode and their is A LOT more contrast from run to brake. The wiring and circuitry is more complicated then this tri-bar mod though. Custom Dynamics sells a r/t/b module that allows you to adjust the contrast for ~$100.

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Kuma,

Which part number is your tri-bar?

I was just about to order the Custom Dynamics one, but I've read mixed reviews...

Thanks!

I bought an 09 SG fender take off. Facia panel, tri-bar light, turns light bar and smoked led tail light are off of that.

Old 05-13-2016 | 03:37 PM
flashnyellow
Advanced

Thanks KumaRide for the great write up and the pictures sure help me.

My parts are ordered and I will work on this next week.