Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic vs Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016 | 01:18 PM
uncle kebo
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Ultra Classic vs Ultra Limited

Im scratching my head about moving up to a full touring rig. Other than the twin cool and the big radio, are there much different btw the 2? If I go with the lesser model, will I be regretting it in a year?

The to muddy the waters... If I chose the Limited, Should I consider the RG Ultra?

Thoughts?

Old 05-06-2016 | 01:26 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

I would go with the Limited myself for the cooling factor alone.

Old 05-06-2016 | 01:43 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I bought the Ultra Classic so I can remove the lowers 9 months out of the year. Gets and stays warm down here. I did get the 6.5 Boom and security. No real difference in the two

That's why they sell different models.

Last edited by Red; 05-06-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-06-2016 | 03:32 PM
mishsc
Intermediate

X2 on the Ultra Classic with the 6.5 Boom and security. When I bought mine, they were having a few issues with coolant leaks but have fixed the issues from what I've heard. I'm happy with mine. Would LOVE to have a CVO Limited but out of my price range.

Old 05-06-2016 | 03:46 PM
Vernal
Club Member

All I can say is we love our Limited's.

Old 05-06-2016 | 03:55 PM
pmk33078
Intermediate

I have no complaints with my ultra classic. I prefer the look without the luggage rack and only one antena since i wont use a cb.

Old 05-07-2016 | 01:27 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
Im scratching my head about moving up to a full touring rig. Other than the twin cool and the big radio, are there much different btw the 2? If I go with the lesser model, will I be regretting it in a year?

The to muddy the waters... If I chose the Limited, Should I consider the RG Ultra?

Thoughts?
If you are comparing the 2016 RGU to the Limited, be aware that the RGU does NOT have heated grips or the CB module/antenna/PTT switch. Although it is a much nicer looking and better handling bike.

Old 05-07-2016 | 07:50 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Limited has heated grips. I use them a lot. CB radio, couldn't be without it anymore. Luggage rack on tour pack. Everyone that travels ends up with one. Chrome wheels that look nicer and are easier to care for. Cooled heads. Don't know how much of a + this is, but I guess it can't hurt. Nicer looking gauges. Painted inner fairing. Is it all worth the higher price?? To me it was.

Bill

The following 3 users liked this post by billnourse:
drew4jan (05-10-2016), EJ122763 (05-10-2016), twoglides13 (05-15-2016)
Old 05-07-2016 | 09:07 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by uncle kebo

Thoughts?
which YEAR of the Limited are you referring too? the new Rushmores?

They have the cooling system built into the lowers so (as someone mentioned) they are non-removeable. I'm not sold on that cooling system so I'd never buy one personally. Plus, I typically remove my lowers, so.....

The big lynchpin for many is that the Limiteds have ABS from the factory (09-13 at least). If that's a big one to you, thats the route to go. Its then covered under warranty (if that matters to you)

I have a 2012 Ultra, did not go the Limited route. Heated grips weren't a big deal to me, nor was ABS. The Limited also comes without the chrome saddlebag guards (Google pics, you'll see). Also, the non-Limiteds don't have a cig lighter in the tour-pak for charging a phone but for $30 one can buy at HD and install themselves (I did, easy to do).

Personally the Limited wasn't worth the extra $$ to me, it had features I didn't need nor want - more stuff to break kinda thing. Might wanna compare the specific differences, see if they matter, if they don't, go the standard Ultra route and take the extra $$ you saved and buy add-ons you DO want.
Most buy a new seat....thats $500 right there!

Also, on newer models, the tour-pak is not removeable as the taillights are built into it, so, if you ever want to 'Street-Glide' it (remove the pak for around town cruising), it'll require more work/parts.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2016 | 09:45 AM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

IMHO buy more bike then you want at this moment is good idea or you be back shopping again which will end up costing you more then double whatever you are saving now.

Quick Reply: Ultra Classic vs Ultra Limited