Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic vs Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016 | 10:39 AM
uncle kebo
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Figured this out..

Originally Posted by Renny
which YEAR of the Limited are you referring too? the new Rushmores?

They have the cooling system built into the lowers so (as someone mentioned) they are non-removeable. I'm not sold on that cooling system so I'd never buy one personally. Plus, I typically remove my lowers, so.....

The big lynchpin for many is that the Limiteds have ABS from the factory (09-13 at least). If that's a big one to you, thats the route to go. Its then covered under warranty (if that matters to you)

I have a 2012 Ultra, did not go the Limited route. Heated grips weren't a big deal to me, nor was ABS. The Limited also comes without the chrome saddlebag guards (Google pics, you'll see). Also, the non-Limiteds don't have a cig lighter in the tour-pak for charging a phone but for $30 one can buy at HD and install themselves (I did, easy to do).

Personally the Limited wasn't worth the extra $$ to me, it had features I didn't need nor want - more stuff to break kinda thing. Might wanna compare the specific differences, see if they matter, if they don't, go the standard Ultra route and take the extra $$ you saved and buy add-ons you DO want.
Most buy a new seat....thats $500 right there!

Also, on newer models, the tour-pak is not removeable as the taillights are built into it, so, if you ever want to 'Street-Glide' it (remove the pak for around town cruising), it'll require more work/parts.

Good luck!

BTW, im looking at a 2016..

Spoke to my dealer early this morning.. By the time the 6.5 unit was added to the base model, its getting very close numbers wise. The dealer had more wiggle room on the upscale model than the lesser model. Soooo, the month numbers would be actually close... I'm going to test ride the EG and the RGU on Tuesday. It was pouring in NJ today... I'm liking the Silver/Black on the RG and Silver/Amber on the EG..

Old 05-07-2016 | 11:57 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member

[QUOTE=Renny;15121216

Also, on newer models, the tour-pak is not removeable as the taillights are built into it, so, if you ever want to 'Street-Glide' it (remove the pak for around town cruising), it'll require more work/parts.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

The detach kit for the newer models come with everything you need. Docking hardware, tour pack bracket, license plate bracket, saddlebag lights and antenna relocate.

Old 05-07-2016 | 04:07 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Didnt you have 2 layoff scares in the last year? Just sit tight.
Everytime you change bikes you take a hit.

Old 05-07-2016 | 04:17 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Do it right the first time with no regrets. Limited would be my choice.

Old 05-07-2016 | 06:55 PM
uncle kebo
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Ron...

Originally Posted by Ron750
Didnt you have 2 layoff scares in the last year? Just sit tight.
Everytime you change bikes you take a hit.

I took the 3rd hit...Im on a package for a few months and Im at the point where I've had it... I think Im gonna go riding x-country. My garage is empty. This point last year I had 2 vintage rides that I since sold.. I had a few bikes - all gone other than my RK. I think im gonna go clear my head, figure things out and drop out of life for a while. Taking a furlough from my band. My business can reach me but my partner will run it. The day gig.... I need to figure out what Im gonna be when I grow up. At 54 y.o., 3 layoffs in 2 years - as an IT sr professional, I cant compete with off shore labor... So... Im running away from home for a while.. I didn't mention this anywhere but since you brought it up..

Maybe we can do a wheres waldo and I can meet up with you guys along the way..

Old 05-07-2016 | 07:33 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Go Limited. You won't regret it later.

Old 05-09-2016 | 05:08 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior

When I bought my Harley, I wanted ABS, so that narrowed things down in a hurry. I didn't think I'd use the grip heaters since I live in Phoenix, but they are nice to have when touring and while riding to work in December-January. I am glad I bought the Limited instead of the Ultra Classic.

Old 05-09-2016 | 07:07 PM
Vernal
Club Member

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
I took the 3rd hit...Im on a package for a few months and Im at the point where I've had it... I think Im gonna go riding x-country. My garage is empty. This point last year I had 2 vintage rides that I since sold.. I had a few bikes - all gone other than my RK. I think im gonna go clear my head, figure things out and drop out of life for a while. Taking a furlough from my band. My business can reach me but my partner will run it. The day gig.... I need to figure out what Im gonna be when I grow up. At 54 y.o., 3 layoffs in 2 years - as an IT sr professional, I cant compete with off shore labor... So... Im running away from home for a while.. I didn't mention this anywhere but since you brought it up..

Maybe we can do a wheres waldo and I can meet up with you guys along the way..
Good luck brother, I hope the open road serves you well.
If you get near Vernal UT stop by for a cold one.
Bill

Old 05-09-2016 | 09:35 PM
uncle kebo
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Hey Bill - Thanks for the offer... Im mapping out my ride.
Head west thru PA, head to Sturgis and the Black Hills, then off thru the Rockies.
Vegas to Reno or Tahoe (maybe both)
Head to see some friends in the Wine Country of Cali. then head down PCH to La the SD ( See more friends)
The AZ - NM then Fort Worth Texas where I may hang my hat and figure things out
Optional - Nola, gulf coast, Savannah, DC, NJ...

I fly to Texas to talk some things thru on Monday. Back on Sunday 5/22. Off on my ride that Tuesday. Planning on 30 to 45 days on the road.

Im taking the trip on my Road King

The following users liked this post:
Jeff I. (12-24-2019)
Old 05-09-2016 | 10:07 PM
sixgun95
Tourer

Limited - don't even give it another thought.

Quick Reply: Ultra Classic vs Ultra Limited