Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RoadGlide vs StreetGlide

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016 | 02:10 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my rgu is better because I said so

Old 05-04-2016 | 01:12 AM
Melroy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
To each their own but I'll take my Street Glide any/all day over a Road Glide

Great looking SG. Love that color.

Old 05-04-2016 | 07:51 AM
PistolPete83
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I prefer whatever is in my garage and has gas...

Old 05-04-2016 | 08:12 AM
Jwams
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought the sportsters were superior?

Old 05-04-2016 | 09:13 AM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Ganooch
About three or four years ago, I used to think that the Road Glide was the most ugly bike that Harley makes (well, besides that Rocker C). Then something weird happened. It started growing on me. In 2013 I would find myself standing at the dealership staring down the line of Roadies thinking, maybe that is the bike for me.

I ride with a large motorcycle association and EVERYONE has a Street Glide. I didn't mind the SG, in fact, I always thought it would be my next bike. Finally, in 2014, I was ready to pull the trigger. I had ridden both and much preferred the Road Glide, even despite all of the talk about how it would take FOREVER to get used to a fixed fairing. I didn't even notice.

Problem was, there was no Road Glide in 2014. Talk was swirling around about how radical the fairing redesign was. How it was getting the Rushmore treatment. My back was killing me on that Street Bob and I had the cash for a brand new Harley. I wanted the Road Glide so badly that I waited it out another year on that Street Bob, not even 100% sure if the Road Glide was even coming back.

Finally, I got one of the first Rushmore RGs at my dealer. I have ridden more on this bike than any Harley before it. I still smile every time I am going down the road.

Funny part of the story, I have a buddy that has a Street Glide and feels the same way about his bike that I do mine. All depends on what you like in the end.

Honestly, I did like having a touring bike that is different from every batwing out there. The problem is that every time I hit the road I see more and more and more Road Glides out there. Must be that everyone else is wising up.

Also, I know maybe 10 people that went from a Street Glide or Ultra to a Road Glide. I don't know one single person that went from a Road Glide to a batwing. Do you guys?
That would be me! I did it.

The following users liked this post:
notch'd '90 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-05-2016 | 10:11 AM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
If I try to put Harley oil in my Roadie it just spits it right back out.

All the opinions have been beat to death in multiple threads, but I did hear a new one the other day. Something I never would have thought about.

This is deer country, and riders hit deer and go down all the time. Sometimes they don't make it. Tragic. The fact that the RG fairing is bolted directly to the frame and not to the front forks means that no matter at what angle you hit the deer, the impact force goes straight back along the frame line, and usually doesn't hit the handlebars. A fellow RG rider hit a deer at 70, cut it in half, coasted over to the side of the road, put down his jiffy stand and got off. He said that just like railroad locomotives have cow catchers on the front, that fixed fairing is a "deer catcher".

Never hit one, can't speak to it personally, just something I heard.

All the touring bikes are great, ride the one that moves you.
I was at Bike week in Myrtle Beach several years ago. There were several of us in the parking lot cleaning the road grime off our bikes. The hotel set up a bike wash area. There was a man from Atlanta that was examining a broken mirror and damaged area on his RG faring. He had hit a deer on the way down the night before. He said it was terrifying at the time but did not terrible upset his ride. The deer jumped mostly over his bike and he only clipped the corner of his faring. I'm sure hitting one dead center would result in a different outcome.

Old 05-05-2016 | 10:43 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Ganooch
Also, I know maybe 10 people that went from a Street Glide or Ultra to a Road Glide. I don't know one single person that went from a Road Glide to a batwing. Do you guys?

Exactly..... I know a lot of guys that went from a Street Glide to a RG or an Ultra etc. But I've yet to see a mass exodus of guys hopping off a Road Glide to a Batwing.

Raise the Shark Signal!!!

#SharkNation

Old 05-05-2016 | 09:03 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
JMC22's avatar is pretty good.

Beary
I suggest YBNORML has the best avatar. I always read his posts in great detail.

Old 05-06-2016 | 05:14 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,265 Likes on 11,687 Posts

Originally Posted by equandt
I suggest YBNORML has the best avatar. I always read his posts in great detail.
Yer comment made me chuckle this morning ....
Being a sick sick, really sick bastard helps at times ....
Actually a willing participant is most important,
being a really really sick bastard just comes naturally !!!

Old 05-06-2016 | 09:02 AM
Houston_t
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had a 13 Road glide custom and now I have a 14 street glide special. To me my road glide seemed to ride a little smoother but I didn't care for how far the fairing felt away from me sat on a Rushmore road glide and it felt even further away. That being said I went with the street glide and I love it but it just doesn't have that same ride to me, seems like the road glide is a good fit for our 6' and up brothers.

Quick Reply: RoadGlide vs StreetGlide