Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016 | 02:08 PM
mglax13
|
Road Master
Default Throttle Issue

Hello everyone,

I recently noticed an issue with my throttle and I'm hoping someone here could help. I have a 2013 FLHTK. I recently installed Wild Ones 10" bars, internally wired everything. I didn't have to extend any wires since the bars were low enough. I used the original throttle sensor. After installing, I've noticed the following issue:

As I apply gentle throttle, and the RPMs increase, the RPMs seem to get kinda hung up from idle to about 2200 RPMs and bounces around a little bit like it's struggling to increase. Once the RMPs hit about 2200, it's a smooth and steady increase from there.

That's the best way I can describe this, maybe someone might recognize what I'm describing, other wise I can try to grab a video of this if it isn't making sense to anyone.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-01-2016 | 04:05 PM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer

Loosen up the right switch pack and pull the grip out a little bit. Had the same problem.

Old 05-10-2016 | 07:05 PM
mglax13
|
Road Master

Unfortunately, this didn't work. This issue seems to go away after riding for a while.

Old 05-10-2016 | 07:18 PM
ShaZAM
Intermediate

I had the same symptoms after my bar change. It was the dam green plug in the bars. I ended up changing it out with a cvo type.. But next time I would just extend the wires myself.

Old 05-10-2016 | 07:28 PM
mglax13
|
Road Master

I was hoping that wouldn't be the issue but I figured it was. Looks like I'm going to have to attempt to pull the wires out without removing the bars, and solder in some wires in place of the green connector.

Old 05-10-2016 | 07:59 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

I was admiring my indy's old Simpson's multimeter and he started bragging about it, since it has the old analog meter on it instead of a digital readout he said he was able to use it to find a bad spot in a customers throttle sensor. He said the digital numbers flashed so much you couldn't see it but with the old analog he could se it drop then bounce back to normal and zero in on the bad spot. The problem he described the customer having sounds similar to yours.

Not saying yours has the same issue but something to consider. A bad connection in the cable connector is not going to fall out at the same spot every time.

Having said that, I read up a lot on the throttle sensors since I have an 08. The first year they came out. There are two pots in the sensor and they have to read the same or it will throw a code and go into limp mode.

If it goes away after riding awhile, is there any chance the bike is just a little cold natured and you are just hypersensitive to it after the bar swap?

Good luck!

Old 05-11-2016 | 09:58 PM
mglax13
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I was admiring my indy's old Simpson's multimeter and he started bragging about it, since it has the old analog meter on it instead of a digital readout he said he was able to use it to find a bad spot in a customers throttle sensor. He said the digital numbers flashed so much you couldn't see it but with the old analog he could se it drop then bounce back to normal and zero in on the bad spot. The problem he described the customer having sounds similar to yours.

Not saying yours has the same issue but something to consider. A bad connection in the cable connector is not going to fall out at the same spot every time.

Having said that, I read up a lot on the throttle sensors since I have an 08. The first year they came out. There are two pots in the sensor and they have to read the same or it will throw a code and go into limp mode.

If it goes away after riding awhile, is there any chance the bike is just a little cold natured and you are just hypersensitive to it after the bar swap?

Good luck!
That's a good point, if it was a loose connection, then I'm guessing the point of failure wouldn't be as consistent as it is. I may just be more sensitive to this issue after the bar swap because after installing the bars, I went though everything to make sure it was all working correctly. I honestly can't say that I slowly rolled on the throttle as described above before the bar swap, or at least I wasn't paying attention to it.