Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket fairing speakers etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:22 PM
rushguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket fairing speakers etc.

I've pulled up all the threads and read em more than once. Do the 2 speaker setups on the Dead Center and Dragonfly sound as good as the 4 speakers on the Quadzilla? Anyone been able to compare em? Also what size shield do you guys prefer to ride with most attached to the fairing?
Thirdly I see Dead Center and Dragonfly will paint to match..if you went that route were you happy or would you prefer to have had it done yourself? And lastly if you have any of these fairings do you ever look at it and wish you had gotten a different one or is there anything that you don't like about it. Oh and has anyone added an emblem to their inside fairing above the radio, I recall seeing a pic with Roadking in that spot and it looked very nice.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Aftermarket fairing speakers etc.

I was in the same boat and was told the Quadzilla is really nice but the radio sucks. If you go the Quadzilla route you can order it without the radio and buy your own. I think I will go with the J&M route.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:00 PM
rushguy
Cruiser

Wish I could have made it to Myrtle Beach, I'm sure theres quite a few examples there I coulda seen in person. From pics I kinda like the look of the Quadzilla..maybe its the four speaker setup as opposed to the others..seems more retro with those big funky speaker grills. J&M is the ones that go on the handlebars? Damn tough decision..I wear my mp3 player when I don't have the windshield on more so to keep the wind from blowing out my eardrums. Shield on I don't wear it but would like that music option..thinking out loud here sorry lol.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:49 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I can't comment on the aftermarket fairings, but I can say this. On my 'glide I first started out with 2 J&M 60 Watt Speakers. (The old glides use the smaller 4 1/4" speakers). The tunes were great but I wanted more when riding on the highway next to 18 wheelers. I had to do some fabrication to the inner fairing but I was able toadd 2 more J&M 60 watt speakers. The difference is very noticable!!! Now, no matter how many 18 wheelers I am close to out on the highway I can easily here the tunes.

So, if it was me, I'd go with a system that has 4 speakers and drive them with an amp vs a 2 speaker system if given the choice.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rushguy
I've pulled up all the threads and read em more than once. Do the 2 speaker setups on the Dead Center and Dragonfly sound as good as the 4 speakers on the Quadzilla?

I’m running the DCC fairing (prior to radio/speakers and paint options). With:

- Sony Marine CDX-F50M AM/FM/CD/MP-3/XM ready output of 52Watts max X4 @ 4 Ohms Z which is 17W x4 RMS with .5 % THD.

- KENWOOD KFC-1680ie 6 ½ inch, two way speakers rated at 240 Watts peak power which is 2 to 40 Watts RMS 35-20,000Hz. (running speakers 2 front and 2 rear, the rears are in POD’s, all speakers and POD’s from DragonFly)

I do "not" know any difference between DDC’s radio optioned out unit and the Dragonfly or the Hoppe, I’ve never had the chance to check them out.
But can tell you…. With this combination, the wife an I went to SkyLine drive in the nature shop we bought a CD of sounds of Nature. Driving back to Tidewater I-64 East, cruising @ or about 85 MPH. The CD was playing and one track starts out with a Thunder Storm. The Thunder was hitting so strong both of us could feel it in our rib cage! Didn’t hear any semi’s!

Anyone been able to compare em?
Not yet but would like to, may even go to a base off to have DB reading taken.

Also what size shield do you guys prefer to ride with most attached to the fairing?
9 incher I’m 6’3" tall and see over it.

Thirdly I see Dead Center and Dragonfly will paint to match..if you went that route were you happy or would you prefer to have had it done yourself?
I don’t ever recommend you to do your own painting, that is UNLESS you’re a Painter. Get it painted when you order it. YOU won’t regret it. I have a horror story of painting mine that you all just don’t want to hear again.

And lastly if you have any of these fairings do you ever look at it and wish you had gotten a different one or is there anything that you don't like about it.
I wish mine was ordered when DCC’s had the options for radio/speakers/wiring and paint….
I have no dislikes about my fairing. Its great, its removable in seconds (less my wiring) and has a LOCK and all stainless steal brackets.

What is not to like?

ORIGINAL: rushguyOh and has anyone added an emblem to their inside fairing above the radio, I recall seeing a pic with Roadking in that spot and it looked very nice.
No emblem, but have installed Livorsi Marine gauges, Oil PSI / Oil Temp / Volts. Love them too. J

Old 05-17-2007, 11:23 PM
rushguy
Cruiser

Hey Ram thanks for the info, I actually finally decided on the Dead Center fairing today and even called to order but it was after 5pm and they were closed. After researching the head unit and speakers I'm just gonna get it radio ready and painted and take the 300 dollars they would charge for the 150 dollar setup and get something better to put in. Your bike looks great btw..that head unit and speakers you have sound good..off to price em hehe.