Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt hole rethread kit advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:49 AM
BKSinAZ
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bolt hole rethread kit advice needed

2014 Street Glide, the top bolt hole of one of the passenger floorboard mounting brackets has some bad threads. I am able to screw in the top bolt but only about halfway. I believe I messed up the threads. Seeing that the bolt can go in about half way I am considering purchasing some type of rethreading kit. The bolt is a 3/8-16 by 1 inch

2 questions... am I on the right track with the repair atempt or should I go a different route?
Which kit would you advise I purchase because I looked at craftsman 40 piece tap and die rethread set but it does not look like I am purchasing the correct kit when looking at the pictures online

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 04-27-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:00 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,085 Posts

I'd purchase the Craftsman set and then add any other taps or die as you need them. Or buy a more complete set and your still going to have to purchase the occasional tap or die.
You won't use them very often but they do come in very handy when needed. Don't forget to pick up a little oilcan to use while tapping the threads out.

Last edited by OldEnuf2NoBtr; 04-27-2016 at 02:04 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:08 AM
chrisg81983
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Not sure how you could of messes up the threads after half way point to the point they can't be fixed. I would chase the the current threads with a bottoming tap and see how they look. While doing this be sure to use cutting oil and something to clean out threads with brake cleaner or something similar. Next I would try torquing a bolt in it to spec and see how it takes..... If it all works out you are good to go and if not there are other routes you can take.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:03 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

when chasing ( cleaning up) threads, or cutting, you go forward then back- normal hand motion is 1/2 turn forward , 1/4 back- this gets metal shavings away from teh cutting edge.

go slow heat is the enemy

oil or wd40 applied liberally- spray is best for control

mike

Old 04-27-2016, 07:04 AM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Get a timesert kit. Stronger than stock once repaired.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:04 AM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 298 Likes on 160 Posts

Don't use a tap. Taps are for tapping. Use a thread chaser. Cheap at Sears. Take your bolt with you to determine what size and thread type/pitch. Use oil with thread chaser, then spray brake cleaner and compressed air when done. No compressor? Use canned air.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:16 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,662 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Look closely in there. If the threads appear mechanically damaged down in there, a thread restorer would be a better tool as they will simply roll the threads back to where they belong.

But, if there is gunk in there, like rust or old loctite, a tap will do a better job of scraping it out and leaving you smooth clean threads.

You can make a red-neck tap/restorer with a good bold (grade 8) and hack saw. Cut a slice in the bolt, and run in it. The cut will scrape the threads.

The following users liked this post:
jammerx (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:39 AM
BKSinAZ
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The way I believe I damaged the bolt hole is when I placed the floorboard bracket at it's lowest setting, the top bolt did not line up perfectly with the hole on the frame. I unintentionally forced the bolt in at a slightly off angle till about half way until the bolt stopped. I took the bolt out and inspected it. There appears to be zero damage to the bolt threads.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:58 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=BKSinAZ;15087301]2014 Street Glide, the top bolt hole of one of the passenger floorboard mounting brackets has some bad threads. I am able to screw in the top bolt but only about halfway. I believe I messed up the threads. Seeing that the bolt can go in about half way I am considering purchasing some type of rethreading kit. The bolt is a 3/8-16 by 1 inch

2 questions... am I on the right track with the repair atempt or should I go a different route?
Which kit would you advise I purchase because I looked at craftsman 40 piece tap and die rethread set but it does not look like I am purchasing the correct kit when looking at the pictures online[/QUOTE

If you won't be needing the entire kit, get a 3/8x16 bottom tap and clean the threads up. If you can put the bolt in several threads, by hand, you probably just have rust and trash in there so the kit wouldn't be needed unless you just want it.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:20 PM
danhahn
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BKSinAZ
The way I believe I damaged the bolt hole is when I placed the floorboard bracket at it's lowest setting, the top bolt did not line up perfectly with the hole on the frame. I unintentionally forced the bolt in at a slightly off angle till about half way until the bolt stopped. I took the bolt out and inspected it. There appears to be zero damage to the bolt threads.
You cross threaded it and forced it until it wouldn't go any further. The bolt is only going in (crooked) until it hits the undamaged threads. You may be able to fix the threads by holding a tap straight and keep it straight while turning it down. If you are able to do that, know that you will be missing some of the threads and it will be weaker. I would drill it out and use some sort of thread insert, like a timesert or keensert. Then it will be good as new.

Last edited by danhahn; 04-27-2016 at 03:23 PM. Reason: misspelled words

Quick Reply: Bolt hole rethread kit advice needed