Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil coolers

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016 | 02:25 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deckman
I just installed a Jagg w/o fan on my Street Glide and it has a Thermostat that opens when the oil reaches 210 degree F. It works OK until sitting in traffic here in Charlotte, then bike still gets hot. Definitely not as hot without the cooler, but only 10 degrees cooler. If I had to do it again I might have gone with the Oil Bud cooler, a lot more surface area to cool the oil.
Contact Jason Ward and get his 190 degree thermostat. Allows flow through the cooler much sooner thus does not allow your motor to get really hot before the cooler is allowed to do it's job.

Old 06-12-2016 | 02:27 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by xcbullet
The ultra cooler is what I put as I wanted fans & like the stainless lines with the good ends. I gained 4psi even though it has not got hot yet. Had to make a cover for when it's under 50°f it stays cooler even with the cover. Best mod I've done. Just wired up the fans today so bring on the heat.
Gaining 4 psi is not really a good thing. Harleys work on oil volume, not so much oil pressure. Apparently the addition of your cooler is restricting oil flow and upping the pressure a little. Probably not going to be an issue, but thought I would chime-in.

Old 06-12-2016 | 02:32 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by xcbullet
Not sure if the jagg has thermostat either, I think only Harley does.
The Harley oil cooler is a piece of **** if you ask me. The HD cooler that came standard on my 2010 LTD started leaking from one of the lower corners (maybe a rock hit it, dunno). Upon removing it and replacing it with a 10-row Jagg, I saw how crappy the HD unit really was. Both HD and Jagg have thermostats.

Suggest that if you install a Jagg, get up with forum member Wards Parts Werks (Jason Ward) and get Jason's 190 degree thermostat for the Jagg. This thermostat allows oil to flow through the cooler much sooner than the thermostat that comes with the Jagg....plus it's best to install the thermostat prior to installing the Jagg cooler assembly. You bike will stay cooler longer.

Old 06-12-2016 | 03:38 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member

Still running my HD Oil Cooler - no leaks or problems.

Old 06-12-2016 | 04:28 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bigheadted
Well for a fact the oil flow is indeed thermostatically controlled with the USA made JAGG product. Glad you are happy with with your overseas product and support of American workers. Ride safe.
================================
" Glad you are happy with with your overseas product and support of American workers "

Where have you been!

HD in fact has been using parts " NOT MFG'D IN USA " on their bikes for many yrs and same goes for many of HD's ad on accessories too.

I saw parts mfg in japan on brand new HD's being mfg'd in HD's plant in PA. when i took a tour in the early 80's & today there are even more parts not mfg'd in USA on new HD's.

Scott

Old 06-12-2016 | 05:09 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Gaining 4 psi is not really a good thing. Harleys work on oil volume, not so much oil pressure. Apparently the addition of your cooler is restricting oil flow and upping the pressure a little. Probably not going to be an issue, but thought I would chime-in.
=============================

I think you may have misunderstood him,i dont think he meant the motor gained 4psi higher oil pressure then the motor ever had in the 1st place even when cold.

I think he meant it now retains 4psi better/higher oil pressure then it used to when motor is hot due to the oil running cooler with the oil cooler which is just fine.

When i installed the ultracool cooler w- wards cooling fans that reduced oil temp 50deg f in summer heat oil pressure went from 8psi @ idle & 32-35psi @ cruise to not 18psi @ idle & 45-47psi @ cruise in summer heat with the 2 cooling mods on my bike.

And another thing you may not be aware of that i read in the fact srvc man for my 09 w-96' motor is that when oil pressure drops below a certain lvl when idling (was it 5-6psi?) like when in summer heat it shuts down the oil going to the little jets that spray oil on the lower piston skirts as a safety measure to ensure main bearings/crank/ lifters etc are getting properly oiled.

So the problem there is i have seen more then a few guys post concerns here in hdforms that their hd's oil pressure in summer heat (esp at idle!) go's in the gutter having 1-2-3-4psi oil pressire at idle which will reduce oiling to piston skirts at idle that i dont have to think about because in 95deg my stock hd .

But i dont know it thats still the case for newer the 2009 gen HD motors which i would think would be a good to keep because sending additional oil to lower piston skirts is a good thing.

So when that happens its not a good thing idling in summer heat loosing oiling of piston skirts so it's good that my hd motor now retains much better higher oil pressure when hot of 18psi @ idle .

That ensures piston skirts on my bike always see oiling sitting @ idle in traffic in summer heat & 45-47psi @ cruise which isnt too high & is just fine,but oil pressure in summer heat of 5psi or less @ idle due to thinned /stressed /overheated oil due to too much heat is not a good place to be if you dont have on our HD's in summer heat if we can do something about which i did.

Just my $.02

Scott

Old 06-12-2016 | 07:25 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior

Arizon, i wasnt trying to be a dick about that so if it sounded that way I apologize. I must agree that the fans for the heads most likely work great. I don't care for the looks however but that's me. The oil coolers with fans, ie ultra cool work in stop and go traffic. Yes both on a bike would do wonders I bet, but I found it odd that if the fans are the cure all, why would anyone want the oil cooler unless it was on initially. Sorry if I didn't word it better.
randy

Old 06-12-2016 | 08:47 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
Arizon, i wasnt trying to be a dick about that so if it sounded that way I apologize. I must agree that the fans for the heads most likely work great. I don't care for the looks however but that's me. The oil coolers with fans, ie ultra cool work in stop and go traffic. Yes both on a bike would do wonders I bet, but I found it odd that if the fans are the cure all, why would anyone want the oil cooler unless it was on initially. Sorry if I didn't word it better.
randy
No offense taken, it's a valid question. Just happened in that order so I ended up with both by the time I was finished.

Old 06-12-2016 | 08:50 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by bklynbob
Replace the thermostat with one from www.wardspartwerks.com
Yes good advice. I changed the thermostat in my stock Harley oil cooler with a Ward Werks. It helps considerably.

Old 06-12-2016 | 08:52 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
randy
========================

" Why would anyone want the oil cooler unless it was on initially "

Randy,are you Kidding?

It's sad how many many people dont realize just how much their air cooled HD's suffer from heat related perf issues esp in summer conditions & why they can truly benefit from cooling them down.

Just read my prior post in this same thread to see the multiple improvements in perf & overall riding comfort i got on my 09 flhtcu post installing an ultracool oil cooler with elec cooling fans along with wards cooling fans at the same time that collectively together reduced oil temp 50deg f in summer heat resulting in multiple benefits & improvements on my bike.

Then you will know why i bothered to install those 2 cooling mods on my HD that was the best money i have spent on the bike thus far.

Happy Motoring!

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 06-12-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil coolers