Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil coolers

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016 | 08:57 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

If you do a little research on head fans (like Wards) you'll find that an oil cooler alone (fan or no fan) will do little for engine heat.
It will address over heating your oil, adding life to it, but engine heat... not a whole lot.

The reason being that our engines are more air cooled than oil cooled.
True, oil does carry away heat and Yes, it's important in piston cooling, but for the heads - which are the hottest part of the engine - it will do little.
There is very little flow of oil in the heads and running an oil cooler or 10 of them will never have much of an effect on head temp, overall engine temp, and therefore seat temps.

If you instead decide to cool the heads you'll end up with a much cooler running engine and as a by product end up with cooler oil...
This whole head cooling instead of oil cooling is proven. Perfect example: Look at the twin-cooled bikes. Cooled heads, no oil cooler. Doesn't need it.

Last time I checked Wards fans were like 250-300 and are raved about.

Last edited by lp; 04-28-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2016 | 02:33 AM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member

I have the wards fan also & I fine looking piece indeed. If you want one you best get it ordered as it will be getting back ordered as it goes into summer. I got mine as soon as he started back up this year.

Attached Thumbnails Oil coolers-img_20160401_204400418.jpg  
Old 04-29-2016 | 02:19 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

[QUOTE=bigheadted;15091568]Well for a fact the oil flow is indeed thermostatically controlled with the USA made JAGG product. Glad you are happy with with your overseas product and support of American workers. Ride safe.[/QUO=TE]

======================

" Glad you are happy with with your overseas product and support of American workers"

BOY,you'r judgemental SOB arent you especially when you don't know me at all & or what i am about & dont know what your talking about .

1st off,HD's has been using parts mfg'd off shore/china/Japan etc since the early 80's when i saw them installing them on new HD's when i got the factory tour in PA ,and today there's even more off shore parts going on brand new HD's which weather you like it or not are your HD too,so play that card.

Most aftermarket parts for our HD's are mfg'd off shore too.

Maybe your not aware the majority of all products sold today in America are mfg'd outside the USA making it near to impossible to avoid that situation.

But quite often i do take that into consideration when i am of where a product is mfg'd like for example when i just bought a new battery for my bike or rec a bike battery to others,thats why i use & or Rec Deka's ETX30L or Yusas's GYZ32HL that are both mfg'd in USA/PA. @ good prices to your door & never rec or use the batteries mfg'd off shore.

Maybe if Trump gets in he will help that situation!/LOL!!!

And just for the record i wasnt aware the Ultracool was mfg outside US when i bought it,but if thats the case it still doesnt take away from the fact it's a good design that looked to a well built quality unit when i got it that has worked well for over a yr into a 2nd riding season & customer srv'c @ Ultracool is top notch too!

And the same go's for 2 other guys i know that afrer seeing how well the Ultracool worked on my bike decided to buy & install it on their HD's too getting the same great results i got post installing it.

I also bought & installed Wards Cooling fans that are mfg'd in USA!

BTW,I did look at Jagg oil coolers when i was in the market for an oil cooler for my HD that had elec cooling fans & thought @ the time the Ultacool design looked just as good if not better for money spent without taking into consideration & or knowing where either of them were mfg'd.

Happy Motoring!

Scott

Old 05-01-2016 | 10:27 PM
ULTRA ZOOM
|
Cruiser

Well I installed the Ultra Cool oil cooler. I just went for a short ride , just to make Shure they work and everything is ok. No leaks. I didn't install the led light. I didn't want to drill a hole in my dash.So now I am ready for summer and ridin season !

Old 06-10-2016 | 05:02 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp
If you do a little research on head fans (like Wards) you'll find that an oil cooler alone (fan or no fan) will do little for engine heat.
It will address over heating your oil, adding life to it, but engine heat... not a whole lot.

True, oil does carry away heat and Yes, it's important in piston cooling, but for the heads - which are the hottest part of the engine - it will do little.
There is very little flow of oil in the heads and running an oil cooler or 10 of them will never have much of an effect on head temp, overall engine temp, and therefore seat temps.

If you instead decide to cool the heads you'll end up with a much cooler running engine and as a by product end up with cooler oil...
This whole head cooling instead of oil cooling is proven. Perfect example: Look at the twin-cooled bikes. Cooled heads, no oil cooler. Doesn't need it.

^^^ This

If you control the excess heat BEFORE it even gets started (nearly all heat originates from the head area), then you don't have to Band-Aid the problem with an oil cooler.

I have both, Wards FCS and a vertical Jagg 10-row without t-stat. I never even give a thought to my bike's temps. It's a non-issue with this set-up.

Old 06-11-2016 | 06:58 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior

Arizona, not to be facetious but why then do you have a Jagg 10-row cooler if all it does is give a little more life for the oil? One would think for the price of them, you could change your oil quite a few times.

randy

Old 06-11-2016 | 10:45 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I installed a stock Harley oil cooler and have been running Ward Werks fans. She runs plenty cool.

The following users liked this post:
puttnbike (07-18-2021)
Old 06-11-2016 | 03:10 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lp

Well said.

Old 06-11-2016 | 09:26 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Default Try this

Originally Posted by Deckman
I just installed a Jagg w/o fan on my Street Glide and it has a Thermostat that opens when the oil reaches 210 degree F. It works OK until sitting in traffic here in Charlotte, then bike still gets hot. Definitely not as hot without the cooler, but only 10 degrees cooler. If I had to do it again I might have gone with the Oil Bud cooler, a lot more surface area to cool the oil.
Replace the thermostat with one from www.wardspartwerks.com

Old 06-12-2016 | 09:59 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
Arizona, not to be facetious but why then do you have a Jagg 10-row cooler if all it does is give a little more life for the oil? One would think for the price of them, you could change your oil quite a few times.

randy
Hey Randy,

I started with the oil cooler first, hoping that would bring down temps sufficiently. It made maybe a 10* difference iirc. I then went with the FCS and that's where I found the most impact on temps, especially preventing them from soaring high in the first place. Between the two I'm around 20-25* cooler at cruising speeds in hot weather, but the main difference is there's zero issues with soaring temps in stop and go when it's really hot weather. Obviously the oil cooler doesn't help you then.

Quick Reply: Oil coolers