Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil coolers

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016 | 11:56 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ULTRA ZOOM
What is the best oil cooler ? I have been looking at one I think its called ultra cool it has a fan to help cool the oil.But I don't know if they work well. I have a 09 ultra that I put a 103 kit on and it runs hot, so I need a oil cooler.
==================

I 1st want to commend you on looking at an oil cooler with elec cooling fans because oil coolers without them are " basically useless when needed most " sitting still at stoplights in traffic or when in slow moving traffic in 1st or 2nd gear only at times.

Thats because without cooling fans there is basically no cooler air movement thru the the oil cooler when sitting still in traffic or when at slower road speed when additional cooling of the motor & oil is needed most.

Ok,moving on,I also have an 09 but with stock motor that i installed an Ultracool oil cooler that comes with " DUAL THERMOSTATICALLY CONTROLLED ELEC COOLING FANS " along with Wards twin cooling fans (targets cooling heads & upper cyls) at the same time last yr which gave me multiple benefits right off the bat in summer heat.

NOTE:IT'S BEEN 1YR & APPROX 9K MILES SINCE I INSTALLED THE 2 COOLING MODS WITH NO ISSUES THUS FAR WITH THE ULTRACOOL OIL COOLER OR WARDS COOLING FANS THAT SEEM TO BOTH BE WELL DESIGNED & QUALITY BUILT PRODUCTS.

OK.HERE IS A LIST OF SOME OF THE BENFITS I GOT RIGHT OFF BAT POST INSTALLING THE 2 ABOVE MENTIONED COOLING 2 THE SAME TIME WHICH WAS KEY TO GETTING ALL THE BENEFITS I LIST.

BUT KEEP IN MIND JUST INSTALLING ONE OF THE 2 COOLING MODS LIKE I DID WONT GET SAME COOLING COOLING RESULTS SO KEEP THAT IN MIND.

* OIL TEMP WAS REDUCED 50+ DEG.

* OIL PRESSURE IN SUMMER HEAT WENT FROM APPROX 8PSI @ IDLE & 32-35PSI @ CRUISE TO 18PSI @ IDLE & 45-48PSI @ CRUISE IN SUMMER HEAT POST INSTALLING THE 2 COOLING MODS .

* VALVETRAIN REMAINED MUCH QUIETER IN SUMMER HEAT.

* MOTOR STOPPED DETONATING.

* LESS HEAT COMING FROM MOTOR INCREASED RIDER COMFORT.

* MOTOR/OIL/INTAKE/OIL ALL BEING CONSIDERABLY COOLER ALLOWS THE MOTOR TO RETAIN MOST OF ITS PWR/TRQ & SNAPPY THROTTLE RESPONSE THAT PRIOR TO INSTALLING THE 2 COOLING MODS USED TO GO AWAY WHEN THE MOTOR & OIL USED TO GET ALL HEAT SOAKED WHEN THE OIL USED TO RUN 50+ DEG HOTTER TOO.

* MOTOR SPINS OVER & STARtS FASTER/EASIER WHEN HOT LIKE POST FUELING UP DUE TO STARTER/BATTERY/MOTOR BEING LESS HEAT SOAKED.

ETC.

SCOTT

Last edited by wscott; 04-28-2016 at 12:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HARDWAY90 (07-08-2019)
Old 04-28-2016 | 12:17 AM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 10 Streetglide
You might want to see if you can get extra gaskets to go in the adapter for the ultra cool reefer. Mine started leaking on me this weekend out of town. No choice but to remove it. More than likely will not go back on the bike. Good unit just can't trust it.
===========================

What is age & miles when the gasket started to leak?

1YR/9K MILES ON MY ULTRACOOL OIL COOLER WITH NO LEAKS THUS FAR.

I got so many positive results when instaling that oil cooler that even if a gasket or oil line started to leak i'd replace leaking part and move on to retian the benefits.

Just to be safe i ordered a spare gasket and oil line to keep in torupack just in case i had a leak pop up while far away from home.

Doesnt matter how good the mfg is gaskets/oil lines/clamps can fail which is something you have to realize comes along with any aftermarket items like that we install on our bike.

IMHO the mult benefits/improvements the oil cooler with elec cooling fans had on my bikes motor & overall riding comfort far outweigh the cost & time to install new gasket or even an oil line every few yrs or so.

But thats not to mention the fact that sometimes a failed gasket or oil line could be due to someone over tightening something causing premature gasket failure or from letting an oil line rub a sharp edge etc on motor or frame that after enough time & miles vibrating cuts the oil line & then leaks blaming it on the oil cooler mfg when at times it was truly a simple unintended mistake by the installer over tightening the area where the gasket was or something that was overlooked by the installer like rubbing oil line.

BTW,I installed rubber hose on the outside of both oil lines in certain places on my oil cooler when installing it to ensure they didnt wear thru & leak for reasons i stated above.

Lastly,i know 2 other guys that installed untracool oil coolers on their hd's over a yr ago too with no problems & or leaks thus far either .

So thats 3 of us that installed ultracool oil coolers with no issues thus far in 1+ yrs/into 2nd riding season of srv'c & thats with all 3 of us using the std blk color oil lines that came with the kits & not the optional supposedly stronger braided oil lines.

Happy Motoring.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 04-28-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-28-2016 | 12:28 AM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bigheadted
According to their literature there is a thermostat type of device so covering it is a waste.
==========================

Well i dont know what you read but from what i see the oil flow isnt therm controlled,its the turning on & off of the elec cooling fans thats therm controlled on the untracool oil cooler.

I say that only because thats how the Utracool oil cooler i bought & installed on my bike last yr works.

But who knows,maybe ultracool upgraded to therm control the oil flow in their newer units mfg'd after i bought mine.

Scott

Old 04-28-2016 | 12:55 AM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Deckman
I just installed a Jagg w/o fan on my Street Glide and it has a Thermostat that opens when the oil reaches 210 degree F. It works OK until sitting in traffic here in Charlotte, then bike still gets hot. Definitely not as hot without the cooler, but only 10 degrees cooler. If I had to do it again I might have gone with the Oil Bud cooler, a lot more surface area to cool the oil.
===================

I got caught in bad traffic jam last summer in 98 deg HHH summer heat for approx 50-55mins till i could get off the road and with the ultracool oil cooler with dual elec cooling fans & Wards cooling fans oil temp maxed at 238 deg F never hitting a solid 240deg f.

We would sit still for like 1-1.5 mins ,then creep along in 1st gear for 100-150' & then stop again cycling back & forth like that again for approx 50-55mins in 98deg HHH heat till i could get off the road.

But prior to installing the 2 cooling mods oil temp would have easily hit approx 285-290+ deg f in same cond due to excessive heat thinning the oil out so much the valves/lifters would be clattering away along with oil pressure dropping into the gutter @ the same time ,but not anymore post installing the 2 cooling mods at the same time that fixed all problems associated with excessive heat produced by an air cooled HD v-twin sitting still in bad traffic in summer heat for good!

BTW,The thermostat turns oil cooler fans on at approx 210-215deg f & off at approx 190-195 deg f.

Scott

Old 04-28-2016 | 10:37 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wscott
==========================

Well i dont know what you read but from what i see the oil flow isnt therm controlled,its the turning on & off of the elec cooling fans thats therm controlled on the untracool oil cooler.

I say that only because thats how the Utracool oil cooler i bought & installed on my bike last yr works.

But who knows,maybe ultracool upgraded to therm control the oil flow in their newer units mfg'd after i bought mine.

Scott

Well for a fact the oil flow is indeed thermostatically controlled with the USA made JAGG product. Glad you are happy with with your overseas product and support of American workers. Ride safe.

Old 04-28-2016 | 10:39 AM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member

Ya & I bought a China motor mount straight from Harley. I got to spread the money so all get my money

Old 04-28-2016 | 10:45 AM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member

Also just got the Baker MRK & it was full of over seas bearings

Old 04-28-2016 | 11:28 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior

Been thinking of a cooler for my 2003 RK Classic. Where I am from, (southwestern Ontario Canada) it rarely goes past 90 deg F for any length of time. So reccomendations? I want it to look good too if possible.

randy

Old 04-28-2016 | 12:01 PM
Bait56
Club Member
Veteran: Army

We live in AZ. My wife has a JAGG (no fan/thermostat) on her FLSTF with engine mods (pistons, cams, head, etc.) and I have a HD Premium (no fan/thermostat) with a FM 107 ci kit. Both are acceptable; unless you are sitting dead in traffic for any length of time and I don't think much will help that.

Old 04-28-2016 | 08:29 PM
ULTRA ZOOM
|
Cruiser

Well after going on both web sites, and checking them both out. I am getting the Ultra -Cool for my Ultra Classic. I live in Newcastle Calif and in summer it gets over 100 degrees. I installed the 103 stage 2 kit in Dec so now its getting warmer and I need to get this done. So I get it tomorrow and install on Sat.

Quick Reply: Oil coolers