Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Fuel Pack with RineHart TDs - Popping Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:33 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default V&H Fuel Pack with RineHart TDs - Popping Update

I have made mention of this in some other threads, however figured I'd place a quick post here and in the exhaust area.

As you can see by my sig.... I have a very simple setup right now. Nothing to shock and awe anyone and perhaps some snickers from those who hate fuel packs. Makes no difference to me.

I've been having some decel popping running the Fuel Pack and my Rinehart True Duals (RH TDs). The popping doesn't occur all the time but it does often enough for my taste. Revs over 3500 and shifting gears .... P-O-P and It is a good crisp sounding pop. Not like a backfire that is trying to happen... I mean a P-O-P that sounds like a firearm goin off (and that is with me in the saddle... who knows what it sounds like behind the bike). According to the map settings to use I was to use FP-541 (for those of you who have fuel packs)

can do it when cold... hot... or anywhere in-between.

Talking with another guy here on the forums he ended up using the V&H Fuel Pack settings for RineHart TDs but with the QUIET baffles instead of the standard baffles.

I didn't like that change and felt I would end up re-leaning the bike again.

So instead I actually emailed V&H expecting not to hear from 'em but thought ... what the heck... might as well try.

Took a couple days and I got a response from 'em. They told me to:

1> change Mode 23 from 16 to 15
2> After setting Mode 23 then turn off and then turn-on bike again and go back to Mode 19 and re-do the throttle calibration.

Seemed simple enough. I'm thinking .... oooooooooooooooh changing the value of one mode by only 1 digit. Wonder how that will work.

Well...... DAMN. Pops are gone. I did hear 'one' that sounded like a baby one thinking of poppin but that was it. Rode 60 miles and had no popping noises other than the 1 when changing gears nor when engine braking.

Soooooooooooooo for those who have the V&H Fuel Pack (Version 12 has Mode 23-33 you can set) and RH TDs and some popping on the '07s .... might want to make the adjustments I was told by the techs at V&H. Probably will help eliminate your popping issues too.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: V&H Fuel Pack with RineHart TDs - Popping Update

Iceman whats ^. Over the weekend we were up in the mountains and I was going down hill with the throttle closed and turning 2800 rpms and could hear my pipes talking to me but nothing that sounded like a gun shot. I have heard my brothers pop that sounded like a gun shot but he is running the HD download. I talked to my dealer and got inline to have a dyno pull done for $85, I want to see were the air/fuel is. I'm not looking for every bit of power but want to make sure I'm not lean anywhere. V&H said I could fax them the dyno pull an they could send me changes they felt were needed if it was still lean. Seems like a cheap way to know for sure.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:29 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so far ihave had good experiances with the fuel pack. i wasnt having trouble like you guys were having. well i was having some back firing issues or "popping" and also hesitation on take off. i called V&H talked to the tech about my issue he said he will get with the engineers and get back to, next day they sent me the new settings. wow what a differance, no more popping and the accelleration at take off is so much better. the tech said what they did is richen it up some.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:13 AM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kewl Kewl.... the Severe pops like I described didn't happen all the time but maybe 10% of the time. the other 90% of the time when it 'popped' it was more bothersome. .... kinda the type that ya roll your eyes at overtime... like "I can't believe this dang thing is popping still". I do put enough miles on my bike on a daily basis (at least 100 miles). And probably get 7-8 pops a day with 0-1 being a loud pop.

seems like a simple fix .... Wonder if anyone else with a 2007 Touring has had any issues with RH TDs where they have been given different mode numbers to put in other than the mod I was given by the tech.

Nobody seems to know what the modes do, however the way it was .... when you went from say 30% throttle to 0% throttle.... that was the same as almost turning off the gas flow entirely. you could see and feel the rpms drop like a rock. the change seems to not let it drop like a rock so quickly. It is almost like if you were at 50% throttle ... and you totally let go of the throttle ... it would drop it first down to say 10% throttle. Still get a good engine brake but not quite as 'lurchy' as it had been. Kinda hard to describe all in all but seems to be working good for me.

Love to get even a little more 'performance' out of the fuel pack but don't want to suffer MPG too much as I'm getting 44-46mpg.