Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad radio reception with LED headlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 07:07 AM
Bradsdad
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad radio reception with LED headlight

Installed a LED headlight on my SG. now my radio reception is barely in existence, anybody else experience this problem, about ready to to pull out the rest of the hair that I have left, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:41 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Maybe whoever installed the light pinched or accidentally dislodged the antenna. Only thing that comes to mind.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:08 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradsdad
Installed a LED headlight on my SG. now my radio reception is barely in existence, anybody else experience this problem, about ready to to pull out the rest of the hair that I have left, any help would be greatly appreciated.
You forgot to mention what brand.....

I have the HD led and have no problems...

Old 04-18-2016, 08:11 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,231 Likes on 22,615 Posts

Listen to your ipod, radio's don't play music they play commercials.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:18 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Radio Shak sells Ferrite filters. Theyr'e supposed to help eliminate RFI. Put one just behind the headlight plug. Do you havean aftermarket amp? If so put one on the ground wire, Loop it through twice for better results. Do they work? IDK but I put em on just in case. Above all check your connections, Antenna, Ground,Power.

Edit; Oh and coincidently check the antenna co-ax cable right behind the fairing in front of the fuel tank where the factory zip-tie is too tight, Nearly cut mine in half.

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 04-18-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:17 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

^^^^ Ditto that. I use the XM on mine but even before I put the LED headlight in I had bad radio reception.

Batman

Old 04-18-2016, 07:06 PM
Bradsdad
Stage II

It's an aftermarket, Brand is CAMT, I installed it myself, came with a LED CANBUS, i'm thinking its some type of resister. when I unpluged it, radio works the way that it's susposed to, wondering if theyre is some kind of filter that I ca install to make it work the way it should.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:42 PM
Randy nester
Novice

Unfortunately Bradsdad I had the same issue and tried everything on these post.It is not an installation issue,antenna issue,etc.It is the headlight issue probably Kayryakny truck light. I even ran other grounds,finally took it out and "gave" it to my brother to put in his heritage. J & P cycles would not take t back.Needless to say i ws not happy

Old 04-18-2016, 08:57 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey Stover
Radio Shak sells Ferrite filters. Theyr'e supposed to help eliminate RFI. Put one just behind the headlight plug. Do you havean aftermarket amp? If so put one on the ground wire, Loop it through twice for better results. Do they work? IDK but I put em on just in case. Above all check your connections, Antenna, Ground,Power.

Edit; Oh and coincidently check the antenna co-ax cable right behind the fairing in front of the fuel tank where the factory zip-tie is too tight, Nearly cut mine in half.
I also agree with this one

Old 04-22-2016, 08:21 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mjonesjr84 View Post
I think I have solved the problem.

Even after using the FM Modulators on my headlight wiring, I still had some issues where radio reception wasn't as good as it was prior to the LED's.

While installing my new 6.5" speakers today, I took a look at the routing of the antenna cable once it left the back of the radio. It ran right along and was zip tied to the headlight wiring. I re-routed the antenna cable so it wasn't attached to the headlight wiring. The interference has almost went away. I haven't been out on the road, but with the bike running in my driveway, I get a lot better reception.

Just an FYI for others to try.

I think you got something there mjonesjr84. I just abandoned the stock antenna wire yesterday and installed an automotive antenna wire. Its working much better now. I damaged the stock antenna wire taking it out of the radio trying to fix the bad reception. I bought another stock antenna wire today. Will install it and see how it works.....

Trucky911

Quick Reply: Bad radio reception with LED headlight